Clevo P751DM2 GPU upgrade?

Go to solution Solved by ThatTrainGuy,
On 7/18/2023 at 12:25 PM, Drunk_Punk said:

Thanks for the reply I've already upgraded to a 1080 in this machine I was just wondering about an RTX as I've found a working 2070 for £200.

edit it uses the newer updated 3.0b mxm with extra power connector.

If you still need advice regarding this....

The newer Clevo 20 series RTX cards will work in a P751DM2.

However your current heatsink will not cover all the components on the RTX cards, so you'll need to do some mods for it to work correctly.  

You will need to INF mod the graphics drivers also. 

Hope that helps!

I am wondering if anyone has tried any RTX cards in the P751DM2-G, I've been through the NBRarchive and can't seem to find any results so I thought I would ask here if anyone has had any success.

Cheers 

I did a google search on the P751DM2-G and every response is a link to a laptop.  Funny though, of all the machines, desktop and laptop, I have yet to find one that I could replace the video in so I guess either you can't replace the video in the average laptop or you can but I just haven't found that particular laptop yet.

Take Care and Good Luck.

3 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

I did a google search on the P751DM2-G and every response is a link to a laptop.  Funny though, of all the machines, desktop and laptop, I have yet to find one that I could replace the video in so I guess either you can't replace the video in the average laptop or you can but I just haven't found that particular laptop yet.

There's a notebook check article on the laptop that's easy to find. Same model but branded

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Schenker-XMG-U507-Clevo-P751DM2-G-Laptop-Review.209180.0.html

It's one of those modable laptops like you can see sometimes with a socketed desktop cpu. In this case it's LGA1151 with some kind of 6-7th gen cpu. It has an MXM 3.0 slot which came with either a 1060 or 1070.

As for upgrades, they're either not worth it or inexistent. You're looking at paying 200+$ just for a 1070. There's some  MXM gpu's out there like a 2060 but they have additional connectors and they might be a newer MXM standard and they cost 500-600$. Best I've found is a Quadro RTX 5000 card for 900$ bringing you close to a desktop 2070 in performance. But it's cheaper to just buy a new laptop at that point.

It's not worth to upgrade. The cost is too high. You're better off just buying another laptop, or building a desktop.

Thanks for the reply I've already upgraded to a 1080 in this machine I was just wondering about an RTX as I've found a working 2070 for £200.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2023 at 12:25 PM, Drunk_Punk said:

However your current heatsink will not cover all the components on the RTX cards, so you'll need to do some mods for it to work correctly.  

Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2023 at 8:03 PM, ThatTrainGuy said:

Hope that helps!

Thank you it does help 🙂
I understand that buying a new laptop is always going to be the solution, but it some what takes the fun out of it for me I enjoy playing around with things to see what works with what.

Cheers for the reply

• 7 months later...

Well a late reply however I can confirm that I personally cannot get an RTX to work

It boots but just hangs on the bios splash screen and the built-in & usb keyboard are none responsive.

I have tried with the unlocked BAKED bios and Clevo to no avail the RTX is from a P775 TM1

any ideas?