?? engenius fit AP settings advice needed ??

Go to solution Solved by Falcon1986,
On 7/18/2023 at 9:48 PM, johnny45 said:

iv always done as it seem to defiantly work better with my gear an in my home ,whats the up or down side to doing so

If there's no overlap with any other 5GHz WiFi broadcasts in the neighbourhood, wider channels allow for increased speeds. That's the whole point of moving away from the heavily-congested 2.4GHz. You're only limiting your clients' throughput on a 20MHz width on 5GHz.

Of course, wireless range will fall the wider the channel width, but you can test that out in your home to find the ideal spot.

Please read up more on WiFi-related stuff here.

i just got my EWS356-FIT an during to setup i noticed this please help me understand an setup

v7.thumb.png.3f183981015b543539881c21d427dfef.pngv6.thumb.png.6115197f6701a9baf2e433863cd132d7.pngv5.thumb.png.d92a69df2adbb4ddf75c7518a6dc5b6a.png

in-regards to the transmit power why are ther 3 different option pages an what are ther respective effect on or to each other , i usually prefer to turn off 2.4ghz as i have

nothing that needs it but i do have gear that can be interfered by it an also i prefer setting the 5ghz tx power as low as possible to just cover my home an not my yard an the street

my older non-fit version of the AP could only be set down to 11dbu an that reached the middle of the street about 96ft from my homes outer wall so i figure set down to 9 or 7

would taper way back to my house or just partially into my yard which would be ideal , but the radio setting page that has in & outdoor setting an tx power options list as

1low,8medum,15high,21very high what do those setting effect an how do they impact other tx power setting on the first page to be clear both ap even set that low cover all

of the inside of my home an gear just fine i just dont need the outside getting all that extra signal my very old an first ap was a asus 1750ac router in bridge mode that

blasted near half of my neighborhood yet that connection was shit so both engenius AP's are a big step up in quality

15 hours ago, johnny45 said:

in-regards to the transmit power why are ther 3 different option pages an what are ther respective effect on or to each other

When you manage WiFi on prosumer-grade hardware, you realize that they oftentimes need controller software that is either hosted locally or in the cloud. Additionally, the controller is used to not just manage a single AP; it can be used to manage a bunch of them located in a single location or different locations. This allows for applying of AP settings en masse rather than tediously logging into each and configuring independently.

While I have never used any of EnGenius's stuff, it seems like you are using their cloud controller to set up the AP. Since this only applies to a single AP and you have selected "Override network-wide settings" from the first screenshot, I assume that only the settings here will apply to that AP. Everything else in the second and third screenshots won't apply unless you uncheck the override setting and wish to deploy several associated EnGenius APs with similar settings.

BTW, why a 20MHz channel width on the 5GHz broadcast?

8 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

why a 20MHz channel width on the 5GHz broadcast? iv always done as it seem to defiantly work better with my gear an in my home ,whats the up or down side to doing so

On 7/18/2023 at 9:48 PM, johnny45 said:

iv always done as it seem to defiantly work better with my gear an in my home ,whats the up or down side to doing so

If there's no overlap with any other 5GHz WiFi broadcasts in the neighbourhood, wider channels allow for increased speeds. That's the whole point of moving away from the heavily-congested 2.4GHz. You're only limiting your clients' throughput on a 20MHz width on 5GHz.

Of course, wireless range will fall the wider the channel width, but you can test that out in your home to find the ideal spot.

Please read up more on WiFi-related stuff here.