Computer says Bitlocker isn't on/Used Space Only Encrypted But it is active -Solution

Found this Solution for a weird Problem, so thought i would share by making a trouble shoot post so any unlucky friends can find this solution

Computer says Bitlocker isn't on/Used Space Only Encrypted But it is active  -Solution

1. Check status
Open CMD/ Type: manage-bde -status

2. If says “ Decrypted “ or “ Used Space Only Encrypted “ but Bitlocker is enabled / blocking you from doing something to get it off….

Take these next steps…….

1. If it think bit locker is off, then enable it
Control Panel/ System and Security/ BitLocker Drive Encryption/ Turn Bitlocker On/ ( Restart computer normally )

2. Get the Bit locker key by repeating step 1 to get to the Bitlocker Menu in control panel
Click Backup BitLocker Key/ Print or Save PDF/ Write down the Recovery Key ( Only Numbers No Letters )

3. Boot Windows into Recovery Mode
Hold Shift when click Restart

4. Once loaded follow goto
Troubleshoot/ Command Prompt

5. Enter Recovery key when asked

6. Enter Command to Decrypt
Enter: Manage-bde -off C:
( or whichever drive letter it is thats encrypted )

Notes:
To check on Progress type manage-bde -status until encryption status is at 0.00%

Then close CMD with the red X in top right and continue to boot into windows normally

4 minutes ago, SRSB said:

Found this Solution for a weird Problem, so thought i would share by making a trouble shoot post so any unlucky friends can find this solution

Computer says Bitlocker isn't on/Used Space Only Encrypted But it is active  -Solution

1. Check status
Open CMD/ Type: manage-bde -status

2. If says “ Decrypted “ or “ Used Space Only Encrypted “ but Bitlocker is enabled / blocking you from doing something to get it off….

Take these next steps…….

1. If it think bit locker is off, then enable it
Control Panel/ System and Security/ BitLocker Drive Encryption/ Turn Bitlocker On/ ( Restart computer normally )

2. Get the Bit locker key by repeating step 1 to get to the Bitlocker Menu in control panel
Click Backup BitLocker Key/ Print or Save PDF/ Write down the Recovery Key ( Only Numbers No Letters )

3. Boot Windows into Recovery Mode
Hold Shift when click Restart

4. Once loaded follow goto
Troubleshoot/ Command Prompt

5. Enter Recovery key when asked

6. Enter Command to Decrypt
Enter: Manage-bde -off C:
( or whichever drive letter it is thats encrypted )

Notes:
To check on Progress type manage-bde -status until encryption status is at 0.00%

Then close CMD with the red X in top right and continue to boot into windows normally

Did you happen to select the option other than 'encrypt whole drive' when enabling bitlocker originally?

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

1 minute ago, Agall said:

Did you happen to select the option other than 'encrypt whole drive' when enabling bitlocker originally?

For myself, the charity i work for gets secondhand pc's that have been restored and one of the laptops we got from " Aspire Sheffield " was encrypted with " used space only encrypted " and when i went to decrypted it, it would say it wasn't encrypted, so I searched the internet for ages and only found this one solution for it

I believe I would have encrypted the whole drive, but luckily for me, there wasn't any data on it yet as it was just as I was setting it up, so it was real quick, but i believe that is the option i would have picked