Planning a new build. Need help

Marmora

Hey all,

So it's been about 8 years since I've looked at building a PC but mine is finally dying and I don't understand PC parts anymore. I built the following list based off some guides I found and feedback from a couple gaming buddies I have but could use some second opinions, suggestions, and answers to some questions I had.

Budget (including currency): aprox $1600-1800 USD after tax

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Final Fantasy 14, Guild Wars, League of Legends, Genshin Impact, Honkai Star Rail, MTg Arena, Arknights, Baulders Gate 3, YT/Streaming, JRPG steam games IE Trails series/Atelier

Other details List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zxgqLs  Monitor 2x: https://a.co/d/fup1EtP  and using corsair KB and mouse

So given everything above how does this look? I don't want to skimp, but I also don't wanna pay $$ for stuff I'll never use. I haven't typically done a lot of AAA gaming on my PC in the past and I don't know how much I'll do in the future but I at least want to be able to play the games above and multi task either music or a video on my 2nd monitor without trying to kill my system especially for games like Genshin and HSR. I also want the ability to play some of those higher end games even if its not 4k 120fps on super ultra mode. I also had some questions I was hoping y'all could answer for me.

What's actually the deal with Intel vs AMD these days? Everyone I talk to seems to absolutely love one and despise the other and is willing to get into a fight over them. I just want a solid PC at a good price point that will run my games for the next 5-10 years.

My current choice for GPU is 340mm long and my case has a max limit of 360mm. Should I upgrade to the 5000D RGB or will the 20mm still be enough room for airflow, cable management, ect?

I think it comes with a bracket, but given how long my GPU is should I be looking at any of those support stands?

How good is an AIO cooler vs just a standard fan one? I was suggested this https://a.co/d/e3X5Ptr if I didn't want to go AIO but I've got it on there because everything else is corsair.

I'll probably add more questions as I think of them, but this is all I have for now. Thank you to anyone that can provide some help and insight into this as I am way out of my element RN.

1) AIO/Liquid coolers I'd only recommend for high end builds.  You'd get more performance from a cheaper air cooler on a $300 CPU than a $125 cooler on a $225 CPU

2) Isn't buying 2 144hz 1080p monitors redundant, since you're only gaming on one of them at a time.  You could do a 4K monitor and a 1080p/1440hz monitor to get the best of both worlds.

3) Intel and AMD are both great.   Passionate people on the internet will have their opinions, but the most practical answer is to use benchmarks and go with whichever brand CPU happens to have the best performance for your price range - and prices online do fluctuate.  So this can vary on a month to month basis. (Same with GPU's on NVidia vs AMD)

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

7 minutes ago, minervx said:

2) Isn't buying 2 144hz 1080p monitors redundant, since you're only gaming on one of them at a time.  You could do a 4K monitor and a 1080p/1440hz monitor to get the best of both worlds.

So I move things around between monitors and I absolutely despise having things be slightly different colors so I always buy 2 of the same monitor

26 minutes ago, Marmora said:

Hey all,

So it's been about 8 years since I've looked at building a PC but mine is finally dying and I don't understand PC parts anymore. I built the following list based off some guides I found and feedback from a couple gaming buddies I have but could use some second opinions, suggestions, and answers to some questions I had.

Budget (including currency): aprox $1600-1800 USD after tax

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Final Fantasy 14, Guild Wars, League of Legends, Genshin Impact, Honkai Star Rail, MTg Arena, Arknights, Baulders Gate 3, YT/Streaming, JRPG steam games IE Trails series/Atelier

Other details List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zxgqLs  Monitor 2x: https://a.co/d/fup1EtP  and using corsair KB and mouse

So given everything above how does this look? I don't want to skimp, but I also don't wanna pay $$ for stuff I'll never use. I haven't typically done a lot of AAA gaming on my PC in the past and I don't know how much I'll do in the future but I at least want to be able to play the games above and multi task either music or a video on my 2nd monitor without trying to kill my system especially for games like Genshin and HSR. I also want the ability to play some of those higher end games even if its not 4k 120fps on super ultra mode. I also had some questions I was hoping y'all could answer for me.

What's actually the deal with Intel vs AMD these days? Everyone I talk to seems to absolutely love one and despise the other and is willing to get into a fight over them. I just want a solid PC at a good price point that will run my games for the next 5-10 years.

My current choice for GPU is 340mm long and my case has a max limit of 360mm. Should I upgrade to the 5000D RGB or will the 20mm still be enough room for airflow, cable management, ect?

I think it comes with a bracket, but given how long my GPU is should I be looking at any of those support stands?

How good is an AIO cooler vs just a standard fan one? I was suggested this https://a.co/d/e3X5Ptr if I didn't want to go AIO but I've got it on there because everything else is corsair.

I'll probably add more questions as I think of them, but this is all I have for now. Thank you to anyone that can provide some help and insight into this as I am way out of my element RN.

Agree with @minervx, could suggest that

PC (along with a cheap reseller Windows key)

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 4.5 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($319.00 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler  ($37.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($219.95 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL30 Memory  ($93.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ Adorama) 
Video Card: Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card  ($599.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair iCUE 4000D RGB AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1620.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-07-15 13:50 EDT-0400

Monitors

EDIT after reading your post : just game on the 2K monitor do discord/browsing/whatever on the 2nd

Wanting 2 of the same forces you to only get HD monitors on your budget, whereas your GPU will be good for 2K (or even some 4K)

PCPartPicker Part List

Monitor: LG 27GL83A-B 27.0" 2560 x 1440 144 Hz Monitor  ($289.00 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: LG 24GN650-B 24.0" 1920 x 1080 144 Hz Monitor  ($156.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $445.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-07-15 13:53 EDT-0400

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

21 minutes ago, Marmora said:

So I move things around between monitors and I absolutely despise having things be slightly different colors so I always buy 2 of the same monitor

I just feel like down the road you may want a better monitor.  I'd spend more on just 1 1440p 144 hz monitor.  And then buy a 2nd one later on.

Also, 27" at 1080p will be quite a bit of pixel distortion.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

1 minute ago, minervx said:

I just feel like down the road you may want a better monitor.  I'd spend more on just 1 1440p 144 hz monitor.  And then buy a 2nd one later on.

Also, 27" at 1080p will be quite a bit of pixel distortion.

I already have these so no point in spending even more money now for something I may want in the future when these work perfectly fine now

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 4.5 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($319.00 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: *Deepcool AG620 BK ARGB 67.88 CFM CPU Cooler  ($47.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: *MSI B650 GAMING PLUS WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($200.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: *G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory  ($94.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: *Western Digital Black SN850X 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($89.99 @ Western Digital) 
Video Card: *ASRock Phantom Gaming D OC Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB Video Card  ($489.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: *Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Adorama) 
Power Supply: *Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Best Buy) 
Operating System: *Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit  ($117.98 @ Other World Computing) 
Total: $1550.90
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-07-15 16:52 EDT-0400