(UPDATED 8-2-23)Okay I give up this new system is crashing and I need help

Belezebub

Okay, I need help with my new system is hard crashing very randomly.

Hardware

CPU I9-13900KS

MB ROG Maximus Z790 Extreme (tried with 903 bios, 2403 bios and 2305 bios)

Video Gigabyte Aorus RTX 4090 Xtreme Waterforce(Not sure rev 1 or 1.1) Checked no updated firmware as of last Sunday

PS Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 1350W 80+ Gold (I would normally never use anything other than Corsair, but this was the only one in stock with the 12VHPWR connector at the time, and I didn’t want to use adapters.

4x SK Hynix Platinum 1tb Drives in raid 0 (I don’t keep data on my system, just on my NAS, and it is replicated to my backup NAS

Memory

G. Skill Trident Z5 RGB Series (Intel XMP) 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR5 6400 CL32-39-39-102 1.40V Dual Channel Desktop Memory F5-6400J3239G32GX2-TZ5RK (Matte Black) (Is on the HCL for this motherboard)

Corsair 1000d case

All water cooled with dual radiators fans in push/pull

The Issue

I built a new PC, and randomly it will hard crash; let me explain that because that is the first of many weird things.

My Normal is that I get home from work, and everyone knows to leave me alone while I unwind. My SOP is left monitor an LTT video, craft computing, NAS/UBNT/Proxmox video of the day, Center screen gaming Playing Diablo4. At the same time, I relax after work; the right screen is always on one of my NAS, Proxmox, or TrueNas/ AD machines moving files sorting, checking my backups, scanning for Duplicated files, working on a VM or jail, etc.

I can play my game for between three minutes and three days and it will crash. It is random. Sometimes I can play for two or three hours a day for a week, and it works. Other times it will crash three times in ten minutes, and I get fed up and switch to my laptop.

When it crashes, all screens go black, the fans ramp up to Max and I can still hear the video I was watching. It will keep playing for 1 to 5 minutes playing. The display on the motherboard shows the CPU temp is under 50c, and it “may” show a postcode error.

You can’t toggle the caps lock /num lock.

Searching Event logs shows the system rebooted unexpectedly but not a kernel files crash or crashing apps /services which leads me to think hardware, but unless I am playing a game, it doesn’t fail.

I am leaning toward a power supply or video card. Any suggestions would be great.

4 minutes ago, Belezebub said:

XMP

Turn that off.

See if it makes a difference.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

4 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Turn that off.

See if it makes a difference.

Sorry it is early I should have said I tried Auto, XMP I and XMP II already, if it was Memory I would think the video would stop playing and the screens would lock instead of just going black

Ideas :

Run memtest86 during next night (takes around 4h for 32GB)

You could try with your igpu if there's anything meaningfull you think of trying

Run 3dmark stresstest

Run IntelBurnTest

Run Cinebench 23

Unplug and replug everything, reseat gpu...if you can

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

Check your power leads to the 4090, make sure theyre seated TIGHT.

Do you have any available rails on the PSU to try another power source for the GPU?

Check your event viewer - does it read any driver dropping/device disconnecting/disabling?

It sounds like windows is dropping the device. It should be logging this in event viewer. 

Drivers are sound? Try a DDU and fresh install of Nvidia drivers?

BIOS Updates? (Incase its a PCIE thing) Check your power plans in windows, ensure PCIE is not set to allow low power mode. 

Also, Jealous that you get left alone when you finish work for some you time lol. I gotta wait till I put the kids to bed before I get any me time and thats AFTER the wife has decided if were hanging out or if shes going to do her own thing lol.

19 minutes ago, mrjason said:

Check your power leads to the 4090, make sure theyre seated TIGHT.

Do you have any available rails on the PSU to try another power source for the GPU?

Check your event viewer - does it read any driver dropping/device disconnecting/disabling?

It sounds like windows is dropping the device. It should be logging this in event viewer. 

Drivers are sound? Try a DDU and fresh install of Nvidia drivers?

BIOS Updates? (Incase its a PCIE thing) Check your power plans in windows, ensure PCIE is not set to allow low power mode. 

Also, Jealous that you get left alone when you finish work for some you time lol. I gotta wait till I put the kids to bed before I get any me time and thats AFTER the wife has decided if were hanging out or if shes going to do her own thing lol.

Thank you for your input but I am using the new 12VHPWR so it only has one, in event viewer it only list system was rebooted, all bios are up to date, and trust me I earned my peace my youngest is 27 living with me again 😞 and I am taking care of my father after his third stroke I deserve that hour of peace. On a side note take it from a Widower TREASURE THAT time with your wife you never get a second chance. I need this to be stable I need that hour after work before the care giver leaves and my night shift starts.

19 minutes ago, mrjason said:

On 7/13/2023 at 8:49 AM, leclod said:

Ideas :

You could try with your igpu if there's anything meaningfull you think off trying

Run 3dmark stresstest

Run IntelBurnTest

Run Cinebench 23

Passed mem test 

PXL_20230714_134925168.jpg

I saw a post before where someone said they had a PCIE 4 switching to 3 mode at random which caused his GPU crashing.

There was a CMD line to run to check if this was happening to the BUS.

I cant find it though!

HUmm let me google that, here is some more info the FUZZY donut of happiness caused it to crash so I am leaning towards GPU or PS

This is 99% gpu related. That’s the classic gpu fault symptoms. 

Try reseating the card as a first step. Maybe a contact is just slightly off or there is a piece of dust where it shouldn’t be.

Get GPU Z and run it in the background with logging enabled. We want to catch a record of the crash happening.

• 2 weeks later...

Gigabyte tested it for 18 hours no issues were found; here is the rub; I have been running this system with an old 1660 Super I had in my junk drawer and it hasn't crashed once, so I guess I will replace the power supply now.

I got custom cables for my Thermaltake Tough Power GF3 1350w ATX 3 0  power supply so I get to take it all apart again, rewire everything and buy a new power supply and cables, Just not my year.

it passed a memory test, Gigabyte tested the video card for 18 hours running their test suite no issues, I have ran the system with a 2080 AND a 1660 super for a week each and no crashing, next thing It could be is power supply? or the new fancy 12HVP cable?  I am at a loss if that is not the issue, unless GB is lying.

On 7/14/2023 at 6:42 PM, Whatisthis said:

This is 99% gpu related. That’s the classic gpu fault symptoms. 

Try reseating the card as a first step. Maybe a contact is just slightly off or there is a piece of dust where it shouldn’t be.

Get GPU Z and run it in the background with logging enabled. We want to catch a record of the crash happening.

I was thinking the same thing sent the card back to Gigabyte thay said "

Dear Customer,

After checking on the status of your RMA, they did do a 18hr test with 3DMARK, FURMARK, & SUPERPOSITION all at the same time.

It has been running fine so far, is there anything specific that you want us to test to confirm if it will crash or anything?

Best Regards,"

41 minutes ago, Belezebub said:

I was thinking the same thing sent the card back to Gigabyte thay said "

Dear Customer,

After checking on the status of your RMA, they did do a 18hr test with 3DMARK, FURMARK, & SUPERPOSITION all at the same time.

It has been running fine so far, is there anything specific that you want us to test to confirm if it will crash or anything?

Best Regards,"

Tell them that it could run fine for long periods and then get crashing sprees. Tell them that the machine runs fine with a different GPU.

This really sounds like the GPU, but the PSU/motherboard could be tripping it up. The board makes less sense as the other GPU works fine, but the additional power draw could make a PSU supply too low of a voltage. The GF3 is great, but you can always get a bad one regardless of how good a product is. And just to re-iterate, to me this sounds more like the GPU. 

10 hours ago, Bjoolz said:

Tell them that it could run fine for long periods and then get crashing sprees. Tell them that the machine runs fine with a different GPU.

This really sounds like the GPU, but the PSU/motherboard could be tripping it up. The board makes less sense as the other GPU works fine, but the additional power draw could make a PSU supply too low of a voltage. The GF3 is great, but you can always get a bad one regardless of how good a product is. And just to re-iterate, to me this sounds more like the GPU. 

I did; Gigabytes Tech support can find no issues in their testing and is sending me the card back; I agree it sounds like the GPU. Also, it sounds like a big load of "NOT OUR PROBLEM" which is standard from most PC companies I have dealt with, cost me 90 bucks with packaging and shipping to send it back been without it for a month. I have ordered a new 12HVP cable from Cablemods. I’ll try again but if you hear screaming, that will be me.

Do I want to throw another 300+ into a power supply and see if that is the issue?

This PC could become a money pit fast that way.

On 7/13/2023 at 8:49 AM, leclod said:

Ideas :

You could try with your igpu if there's anything meaningfull you think of trying

Run 3dmark stresstest

Run IntelBurnTest

Run Cinebench 23

Tried all of those a few times but thank you