Windows Keeps Changing My Mic Volume (Yeti Classic)

Sgt-PieFace

Hello everyone! I have been using a Yeti Classic mic for a few months for streaming and I love it. I have had zero issues with it, until yesterday.

I noticed my mic was peaking really hard in OBS and it turns out windows keeps setting the volume of my mic to 100. I have it set to 30 in recording devices Microphone Properties because its too sensitive otherwise.

I have the box for 'Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device' unchecked.

I went into my steam settings and disabled auto mic level. 

The amount windows changes my mic volume seems random depending on what application I open. Its worst with Black Ops 3, as it instantly cranks it to 100%

I have tried reinstalling drivers for my mic, but nothing seems to help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Some games like CS:GO like to mess with the mic levels in Windows. I had to modify some config file in the past for that game and set it to read only to stop doing it. 

45 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Some games like CS:GO like to mess with the mic levels in Windows. I had to modify some config file in the past for that game and set it to read only to stop doing it. 

I had the same experience. I added

voice_mixer_volume "-1"

into my autoexec for CSGO to stop it.

I also had the same thing happen when I tried to play Black Ops 2 Zombies and never found a fix.

42 minutes ago, immortal duffel said:

I had the same experience. I added

voice_mixer_volume "-1"

into my autoexec for CSGO to stop it.

I also had the same thing happen when I tried to play Black Ops 2 Zombies and never found a fix.

Thanks for the reply. My understanding was that when you don't allow applications to 'take exclusive control' of devices, it should stop this from happening. Which seemed to be the case for me until a few days ago. Very frustrating

14 hours ago, Sgt-PieFace said:

My understanding was that when you don't allow applications to 'take exclusive control' of devices, it should stop this from happening. Which seemed to be the case for me until a few days ago. Very frustrating

Yeah, I wish that were true. Windows audio subsystem sucks.