Nvidia Tesla m2090... what is it for?

The Electroclassic

Hey guys! I just got gifted this card. But as a dumbass on technology (a.k.a Apple fanboy), I don’t know what to do with this. I’m trying to scour the internet and I learned that this is a Transcoding/ML Accelerator card for servers or something like that. What can I use this for?

IMG_8976.jpg

It's a GPU meant for servers, so basically compute GPU tasks that don't involve a display output. Performance wise, it should be a bit slower than a gtx 580, but with 6gb of vram instead of 1.5gb, along with lower clocks.

You can use it as a paperweight.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

It's just as you said. A GPU for servers and processing compute tasks that run well on GPUs instead of actually outputting to a screen. It's too old to make any real use of it unless you only have access to 2011 hardware in general. There's more power in a random cheap laptop nowadays.

Machine learning in a server.

Thats about it.

It does NOT have self cooling capabilities it needs high pressure forced air through it.

As a desktop card its extremely niche and basically useless

3 minutes ago, igormp said:

It's a GPU meant for servers, so basically compute GPU tasks that don't involve a display output. Performance wise, it should be a bit slower than a gtx 580, but with 6gb of vram instead of 1.5gb, along with lower clocks.

You can use it as a paperweight.

you think it might work as a card for Plex on an existing computer? or maybe a new computer?

5 minutes ago, The Electroclassic said:

you think it might work as a card for Plex on an existing computer? or maybe a new computer?

Basically this one is old and a like gtx 1050 would obliterate it in plex for less power.

So can it? Technically with lots of trouble. Really skip it and use it for decorstion or something.