Best cooling for a PC in a very hot room

Go to solution Solved by Radium_Angel,

You might be better served to get a stand-alone air conditioner for your room

Hello everyone, I'm Ivan.

I live in Italy, and in these days we are facing a very hot weather.

My room reach 30°C (about 86°F) and my PC runs very hot. Well... Not very hot but hotter than when I have 20-22°C room temp.

I'm a technician, and I change every month or so thermal paste on both CPU and GPU. Now, the GPU runs at 60-70°C depending on what type of games I'm playing, but the CPU on idle stays at 60°C, when in early June and before, on idle stayed at 40-45°C.

So, here it is my question:

I have an Arctic Freezer eSports 34 DUO.

Could a Cooler Master AIO 120 lower my CPU temps?

And maybe a little bit even my GPU's temps, since the AIO throws directly out of my case all CPU's heat...

Thank you to whoever will answer!

1 minute ago, FreqEvans said:

Dont waste money on 120mm AIOs. Sounds to me that you dont have your case fans running at adequate speeds. Either way those temperatures arent too bad. If you are worried about your temperatures, try using FanControl and using more aggressive fan curve on your fans.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

The computer is not going to become cooler than its environment. At least, not by a significant amount.

Sure the computer will blast out the hot air... but it's also going to draw in the hot air from the environment.

You need to lower the ambient temperature if you want a cooler-running PC.

Or install a lot of high-RPM fans and run a negative pressure PC case - this is essentially how the insane LTT fan videos function, right?

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

120 AIOs are absolute garbage.  Don't buy them.

I don't even know if it'd beat the esports duo.  Any AIO below 240mm is trash.  (And there are even Air Coolers that are as good, or better, than most 240 AIOs.)

What you need to remember, coolers work in regards to "change of temperature over ambient"

So if you move your ambient up 10 degrees?  your CPU Temp will do the exact same thing.

Changing thermal paste and cooling solutions won't solve your problem, because your PC is still going to generate the same amount of heat, and any conventional solution is going to dump that heat into your room.

You need air conditioning to pump that heat to outside, or a water cooling radiator positioned outside to carry your computer's heat out. (Your temps may suffer a bit by doing this, since you'll only be able to get your water temperatures down to outdoor ambient without some kind of refrigerant cycle.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

6 minutes ago, FreqEvans said:

My room reach 30°C (about 86°F) and my PC runs very hot. Well... Not very hot but hotter than when I have 20-22°C room temp.

I'm a technician, and I change every month or so thermal paste on both CPU and GPU. Now, the GPU runs at 60-70°C depending on what type of games I'm playing, but the CPU on idle stays at 60°C, when in early June and before, on idle stayed at 40-45°C.

And maybe a little bit even my GPU's temps, since the AIO throws directly out of my case all CPU's heat...

You really shouldn't replace thermal paste that often, it doesn't get bad for several years, and there's more risk of damaging something  than anything with that frequent repastes...

Your GPU temps aren't that bad, but 60C idle CPU (which one btw?) isn't even normal (my 5900X idles at 43C with 27C ambient rn), and you don't tell your gaming and load CPU temps

If you want better temps, get a better aircooler or 240mm+ AIO, and add fans to create a good airflow

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

46 minutes ago, FreqEvans said:

You change your thermal paste monthly?  If you're a tech, you know this is incredibly wasteful and potentially introducing issues.  

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

It's impossible to reply to all of you!

So, first of all, thanks to y'all!

I have an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.2GHz OC.

I play sports games, as NBA, FIFA etc...

That's what I've decided to do:

I'll not buy anything else, I'll stay with my Arctic cooler.

I'm going to buy air conditioning for my room, 'cause yes, my PC is suffering with all this hot weather but even the PC's owner is suffering with this hot weather 😆

Even because when it's less hotter I'm very happy about my PC performance.

SO: thanks again to y'all!

And yeah I change the thermal paste like 3 to 4 times a year, I know what I'm doing, never had any issues whatsoever 😉

If your computer(s) are heating the room up by 8-10C over ambient room temperature, perhaps just find a way to vent the heat with a fan rather than an AC unit (which will consume a lot of power and be noisier than a fan).

If you can vent the hot air and the ambient temperature is comfortable, fans might work!

5 minutes ago, FreqEvans said:

It's impossible to reply to all of you!

So, first of all, thanks to y'all!

I have an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.2GHz OC.

I play sports games, as NBA, FIFA etc...

That's what I've decided to do:

I'll not buy anything else, I'll stay with my Arctic cooler.

I'm going to buy air conditioning for my room, 'cause yes, my PC is suffering with all this hot weather but even the PC's owner is suffering with this hot weather 😆

Even because when it's less hotter I'm very happy about my PC performance.

SO: thanks again to y'all!

You can undervolt your cpu abit with a negative voltage offset or static freq + voltage

4 minutes ago, FreqEvans said:

And yeah I change the thermal paste like 3 to 4 times a year, I know what I'm doing, never had any issues whatsoever 😉

And this is not neccesary

If you are really that concerned go and buy yourself a thermal pad

46 minutes ago, tkitch said:

What you need to remember, coolers work in regards to "change of temperature over ambient"

So if you move your ambient up 10 degrees?  your CPU Temp will do the exact same thing.

^^^

Kinda sucks that my country is hot and theres been some heatwaves recently where at noon or in the afternoon room still gets so hot to the point i sweat even though the ac is on

Even phase change systems get affected so when i do go and build/buy one it aint gonna get the chillier temps it should be getting =(

21 minutes ago, FreqEvans said:

It's still useless...

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

2 hours ago, PDifolco said:

It's still useless...

Yeah but I love to clean my PC and repaste the CPU. It's what I do when I want some relax on Saturday morning! 😂

Guys, there isn't an exact formula for this things. The most important thing is that the PC doesn't explode... Or start sweating.

However, it's better to repaste 3 times a year than don't clean the PC at all

When I was working in a lab as a repairman, I found everything in PCs. Dust heavy like soil, spiders, pieces of tobacco... My garden was cleaner than some PCs. Even my dog was cleaner than some PCs 😂