Help me convince my dad to let me pursue Comp. Sci

K3nobi

I currently have two offer letter from two different universities, one is in Computer Technology while the other is in Electrical Engineering, the one in EE was convinced by my dad to choose even though that uni has a course in Comp. Sci, while the one is CT was all me. I want to choose the one in CT but I have accepted neither offer as I wait to discuss them with my dad.

My dad asked me why would I want to pursue Comp. Sci, and told him I'm into computers even though he already knew that, he then told me but what about the job opportunity in the future, I told him that there should be plenty considering that we are constantly evolving and advancing towards tech, he wasn't so sure about that and said that he'd be worried for me, it was at that point that I stop arguing with my dad and just choose the Electrical Engineering course to make him happy.

One thing to consider is we live in a South East Asia, so it's pretty much a third-world country here (Except for SG, they're cool), which is why I don't even blame my dad for not letting me pursue Comp. Sci as he didn't think any company would wanna hire a dude with degree in Comp. Sci

The uni that I chosed CT in is technically a much easier place to get to compare to the one I got in EE, while also being pretty much the center of the country, yk where all the tourist come to, so its a pretty dense place, while the one in EE is what friend would described as "deserted"

Please help me come up with something that would be able to convince my dad to let me pursue Comp. Sci

If the claim is "no one wants to hire someone with that degree," then the obvious move is to present local job offers requiring or relevant to that degree.

3 hours ago, K3nobi said:

I currently have two offer letter from two different universities, one is in Computer Technology while the other is in Electrical Engineering, the one in EE was convinced by my dad to choose even though that uni has a course in Comp. Sci, while the one is CT was all me. I want to choose the one in CT but I have accepted neither offer as I wait to discuss them with my dad.

My dad asked me why would I want to pursue Comp. Sci, and told him I'm into computers even though he already knew that, he then told me but what about the job opportunity in the future, I told him that there should be plenty considering that we are constantly evolving and advancing towards tech, he wasn't so sure about that and said that he'd be worried for me, it was at that point that I stop arguing with my dad and just choose the Electrical Engineering course to make him happy.

One thing to consider is we live in a South East Asia, so it's pretty much a third-world country here (Except for SG, they're cool), which is why I don't even blame my dad for not letting me pursue Comp. Sci as he didn't think any company would wanna hire a dude with degree in Comp. Sci

The uni that I chosed CT in is technically a much easier place to get to compare to the one I got in EE, while also being pretty much the center of the country, yk where all the tourist come to, so its a pretty dense place, while the one in EE is what friend would described as "deserted"

Please help me come up with something that would be able to convince my dad to let me pursue Comp. Sci

Comp. Sci at least in the US is a weird degree, since most of the actual practical jobs either are based on experience in DIY labbing or certifications (related to networking or coding and such), where you're likely not getting "I just took out a mortgage's worth of debt for this" level salaries outside of having some really good coding skills.

Electrical engineering is in my opinion a better degree, and I'm guessing your dad knows the local area quite well to assume that. The thing is, you don't need a degree to pursue a career in computers where electrical engineering will likely give you more hardware level expertise than a CS degree. EE also gives more career options in electrical distribution that a CS degree doesn't give.

In my understanding, EE is more math heavy and CS is more language heavy, since you're doing coding and such, if that helps any.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

I think Electrical Engineering is the better degree, but you should still consider studying programming and coding in your free time.

Being talented in the Computer Science means problem-solving and logical thinking - EE will train you on these skills. If you want to tinker with DIY projects.. EE will give you the skills. I've made two friends in my professional career who graduated in Nano-scale Engineering, but now they're Software Developers because they applied their problem-solving skills to rewriting software.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

1 hour ago, Sakuriru said:

No it isn't, CS is almost a requirement for breaking in software development. And on the developer side of the house, no one cares about certifications.

Why not just do software engineering if you're doing software development then? I imagine someone hiring who looks at two candidates, one a SE and one a CS, they'll pick the SE for software development, especially since software developers can know practically nothing about hardware in today's environment. 

CS isn't useless, but not that useful compared to specialized roles with generally more prestige, EE being one of them. Wouldn't be hard for a EE to break into coding with an engineering degree already behind you. Same goes for the hardware side.

in a lot of countries computer science is in high demand, east asia is a bit broad but I'm sure there are plenty of opportunities wherever you live. of course you should check this for yourself though since I don't know the specifics of your area.

14 minutes ago, Agall said:

Why not just do software engineering if you're doing software development then? I imagine someone hiring who looks at two candidates, one a SE and one a CS, they'll pick the SE for software development, especially since software developers can know practically nothing about hardware in today's environment. 

CS isn't useless, but not that useful compared to specialized roles with generally more prestige, EE being one of them. Wouldn't be hard for a EE to break into coding with an engineering degree already behind you. Same goes for the hardware side.

I have a software engineering degree but from what I could tell the computer science course wasn't that different... obviously you can learn programming after getting an electrical engineering degree but to what end if you mainly care about computer science? At least where I live there's a lot more demand for good programmers than electrical engineers and electrical engineers are often relegated to churning out boring electrical layouts, and I'm sorry, there's just no comparison between someone with a degree and someone who just learned how to hack together some code on the job. Have you studied either of these subjects yourself?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

in a lot of countries computer science is in high demand, east asia is a bit broad but I'm sure there are plenty of opportunities wherever you live. of course you should check this for yourself though since I don't know the specifics of your area.

I have a software engineering degree but from what I could tell the computer science course wasn't that different... obviously you can learn programming after getting an electrical engineering degree but to what end if you mainly care about computer science? At least where I live there's a lot more demand for good programmers than electrical engineers and electrical engineers are often relegated to churning out boring electrical layouts, and I'm sorry, there's just no comparison between someone with a degree and someone who just learned how to hack together some code on the job. Have you studied either of these subjects yourself?

Yes, and I'm also an individual who's gotten to my position without a degree due to a specific program I did instead for 6 years. In my current position, I even replaced an individual who had a CS degree fresh out of college who couldn't handle solo management of a medium sized network. Fortunately for me, I have several software developers I can work with where I don't have to be the person writing code more complex than simple scripts.

There's a lot to be said for 'technical schools' and self-teaching with actual results to back it up. With neigh infinite information at our fingertips and cheap older generation hardware or just how powerful a general purpose computer is in 2023. That's probably a different story in Asia though. 

US market from what I've seen is different and evolving, where the measure of competency a degree used to provide isn't nearly as strong. I imagine East Asia is different in this regard, but its easy to assume that EE from a better school is more prestigious than CS from a lesser school if you had the choice.

Noting OP has so far never specified anything about coding and simply 'into computers' and intending to pursue CS for that reason. I add the obvious caveat that it includes coding, but CS is a generalized field. Otherwise they could end up doing any of the various fields that 'computer science' as a generalist field occupies, plenty of which value certificates and experience equally if not more. 

@K3nobi assuming you'll succeed in the EE program, you'll have better leeway to do more financially with a program more likely to have higher income. Likely the position their father is taking.

I'd bring a strong financial argument for why that CS program will be better for you. I think the argument against your father's wishes will depend entirely on the foundation of his argument. If his argument is founded on a financial one, find a way to counter it, he should respect your passion since you'll be more likely to succeed in a program you enjoy.

Its quite possible he's just challenging your decision in hopes that you'll show enough passion to justify not steering you towards a path that may be traditionally better. The traditionally better path isn't always the best though, especially if you're not passionate about it.

8 hours ago, K3nobi said:

Wow, thanks all for the feedback. It really made me rethink my decision, I guess EE would be the better and safer option

Now tell your dad to buy you something from LTT Store as gratitude to LMG (forum and community) for convincing you to listen to him.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

37 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Now tell your dad to buy you something from LTT Store as gratitude to LMG (forum and community) for convincing you to listen to him.

Haha mate I really wish it would work like that cause I've been craving for a LTT Store water bottle for like 4 years now but I don't really know how that would work shipping to Malaysia and how exactly I have to pay for it. Hopefully one day I can get it tho