Should I have used a different thermal paste?

Go to solution Solved by Hinjima,
3 minutes ago, fastfishy2 said:

Righto. More or less what my plans were anyway lmao. I was just a bit confused because I did a bit more reading on it and people were saying "it was never meant for CPUs" or some stuff like that, or saying to get MX4 instead (I don't care as long as this stuff is good).聽

If your temps are acceptable then its doing its job 馃憤聽 Its definitely not the most commonly used paste, but if it works it works.聽 Thats about it 馃槃聽 But again, you might see better temps after using it normally for a few days according to their website.
And its not
conductive so nothing to worry about there.

After getting worried about my 5800X3D temps on a Noctua NH-D15s I decided to try one more thermal paste and remount. I was using Deepcool Z10 before. Grabbed a tube of Arctic Silver Ceramique 2 on the way home as that was what was on hand. Cleaned the old stuff off, applied a "large pea" of the Ceramique 2 paste, and carefully seated the cooler, doing a few turns each side on the screws until it was sitting nice and flat and the screws stopped.

My temps are already better than they were, and noticeably so. But now I'm seeing some people saying that Ceramique 2 was meant for other things, so I'm a bit confused.

I also am aware Ceramique 2 needs some kind of a break-in period which I understand to be using the computer with varying loads, and turning the PC off from time to time so it can settle to room temp. Is there a particular way to do this or can I just use the computer more or less as I normally would, with some breaks?

5 minutes ago, fastfishy2 said:

After getting worried about my 5800X3D temps on a Noctua NH-D15s I decided to try one more thermal paste and remount. I was using Deepcool Z10 before. Grabbed a tube of Arctic Silver Ceramique 2 on the way home as that was what was on hand. Cleaned the old stuff off, applied a "large pea" of the Ceramique 2 paste, and carefully seated the cooler, doing a few turns each side on the screws until it was sitting nice and flat and the screws stopped.

My temps are already better than they were, and noticeably so. But now I'm seeing some people saying that Ceramique 2 was meant for other things, so I'm a bit confused.

I also am aware Ceramique 2 needs some kind of a break-in period which I understand to be using the computer with varying loads, and turning the PC off from time to time so it can settle to room temp. Is there a particular way to do this or can I just use the computer more or less as I normally would, with some breaks?

聽I did read that this paste had some burn in time regarding its thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. But just use it as you normally would, nothing you need to worry about.聽 You game a bit, you watch some youtube, you turn it off while you sleep, you watch some youtube when waking up and then you game a bit again, rince repeat. Maybe run a cinebench run to heat it up once properly.聽 聽 Sure there might be an optimized way of doing it but meh, dont spend time worrying about it. It will happen on its own with normal use.

2 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

聽I did read that this paste had some burn in time regarding its thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. But just use it as you normally would, nothing you need to worry about.聽 You game a bit, you watch some youtube, you turn it off while you sleep, you watch some youtube when waking up and then you game a bit again, rince repeat. Maybe run a cinebench run to heat it up once properly.聽 聽 Sure there might be an optimized way of doing it but meh, dont spend time worrying about it. It will happen on its own with normal use.

Righto. More or less what my plans were anyway lmao. I was just a bit confused because I did a bit more reading on it and people were saying "it was never meant for CPUs" or some stuff like that, or saying to get MX4 instead (I don't care as long as this stuff is good).聽

3 minutes ago, fastfishy2 said:

If your temps are acceptable then its doing its job 馃憤聽 Its definitely not the most commonly used paste, but if it works it works.聽 Thats about it 馃槃聽 But again, you might see better temps after using it normally for a few days according to their website.
And its not

26 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

And its not

well the temps so far are already awesome, I'm really pleased with it, and this is before it even breaks in.

9 minutes ago, fastfishy2 said:

well the temps so far are already awesome, I'm really pleased with it, and this is before it even breaks in.

Good investment then!聽 Happy gaming 馃槃