Best cheap phone

I need a new phone because my old one stopped working and I don’t know much about phones so far I have been considering the OnePlus Nord N30 5G and the Samsung Galaxy A14 5G any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Update for more information i live in california and my budget tops out at $400

A14 is worse than garbage, don't buy it. I don't know what prices are in your country, but where I am best phone in this price range would be Xiaomi Redmi Note 12. Only downside of this phone is that it has some ads baked in system, for example when you install new app you get ad, but it's something you can deal with on low budget and build quality and performance of this phone is significantly better than A14 and Nord N30. Sometimes there are some good Realme options as well, but IDK about them, they don't have good representation in my country. 

What is the most you are willing to spend?

Are used phones something you have considered?

My Rig: CPU : 10700K | RAM : Trident Z Neo 3600Mhz c16 32G (4x8) | CPU cooler : NHD15 | GPU : ASUS ProArt 4070 | PSU : Corsair RM850 (black label) | CASE : Corsair 5000D Airflow | Storage : Samsung 970 evo 1TB, WD Black 1TB, Samsung evo 850 Sata SSD | Casefans : Lian Li Unifan SL120 7X|

MOUSE : G Pro Wireless X superlight | Keyboard : Keychron C1- Pro-H1 Gateron Milky Reds

Location is maybe the most important factor.

For example if your in Asia then second iphones are so easy to have a new battery for low cost so a viable option.

Also in Asia the Xiaomi have some very good options at new prices compared to iphone and samsung.

in all honesty it comes down to waht you want to do ?

if watching movies etc via streaming which is very popular in Asia as most ISPs have unlimited access so long as you stay in country. so movies etc larger screens are a bonus.

if it is merely for communication then even the very old nokia that my mother owned still works with a prepay simcard ?

if you want bleeding edge tech then your wallet will bleed regardless of the brand.

1 hour ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

A14 is worse than garbage, don't buy it. I don't know what prices are in your country, but where I am best phone in this price range would be Xiaomi Redmi Note 12. Only downside of this phone is that it has some ads baked in system, for example when you install new app you get ad, but it's something you can deal with on low budget and build quality and performance of this phone is significantly better than A14 and Nord N30. Sometimes there are some good Realme options as well, but IDK about them, they don't have good representation in my country. 

You can remove ads (and other bloat) via Xiaomi adb tools

5 hours ago, the gamer that is bad said:

I need a new phone because my old one stopped working and I don’t know much about phones so far I have been considering the OnePlus Nord N30 5G and the Samsung Galaxy A14 5G any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Three questions: what's your budget, where do you live, and what features do you prioritize (camera, display, etc.)?

If I were getting a phone right now and was willing to buy a mid-range phone, I'd snap up either a Pixel 7a or, better yet, a discounted Pixel 7 (the difference in Canada is $50 as I write). They're definitely more expensive than the Galaxy A14 and OnePlus Nord N30, but they deliver tremendous value for money. Excellent cameras, snappy performance and of course the official Google experience.

If you'd rather spend less, the latest Moto G models should probably be on your list.

9 hours ago, Alinz said:

What is the most you are willing to spend?

Are used phones something you have considered?

i am willing to spend about $400 and i am willing to consider used phones.

If you're willing to do used phones you can get some good deals on Swappa. There's a pixel 7 currently going for about $300. There are other similar deals depending on what you want but you could get flagship quality within your budget going used.

On 7/6/2023 at 3:00 AM, the gamer that is bad said:

Update for more information i live in california and my budget tops out at $400

Price??? Location???  We know you are a bad gamer, don't be a bad poster, too!

7 hours ago, 2dfx said:

Price??? Location???  We know you are a bad gamer, don't be a bad poster, too!

it says "Update for more information i live in california and my budget tops out at $400"

7 hours ago, the gamer that is bad said:

it says "Update for more information i live in california and my budget tops out at $400"

There is a refurbished s21 ultra on amazon for about 400 bucks so that would be the best IMO but the best new is defo the pixel 7a

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

Pixel 6 Pro is good value to price ratio.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

• 3 weeks later...

I recommend a Sony smartphone.  Any of their smartphones can have the bootloader unkocked, because Sony has a guide on exactly how.  This will allow you to choose what screen size you like best, and use

https://LineageOS.org to get it to a new android system (based on stock Google Android Open-source Project) and use up to date programs and patch security bugs.

It also allows you to use a device that would otherwise end up covered in clay and delay this for at least a few more years, while also slightly reducing demand for constantly manufacturing new hardware.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.