PC Struck by lightning?

Rashy

Is it possible, if it is what are my chances of getting a hit? Theres been a mean lightning storm these week in my neighborhood(always are) but i hardly accept my parents heed.

Just that, ty.

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

Try not to dance outside in a clearing and you'll be fine.

Seriously though, do not do that thing. Stay inside you madman.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Oh by that you mean like lightning striking and then somehow it goes past the surge on your computer and boom.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Try not to dance outside in a clearing and you'll be fine.

Seriosuly, do not do that thing.

Bro, i mean my pc. is it going to be struck by lightning if i kept playing it while in a thunder storm?

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

Oh by that you mean like lightning striking and then somehow it goes past the surge on your computer and boom.

Yes... Is it really going to go boom?

(NOW)War Horse:

(WAS)Old Coop:

Bro, i mean my pc. is it going to be struck by lightning if i kept playing it while in a thunder storm?

Dude, I know, I was making a funny x3

If you want a serious answer then make sure you have a surge protector. If it does get in then it'll fry your PSU at the very least.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Yes...............

Especiallyif you play outside on top of a tall platform.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Yes... Is it really going to go boom?

Now, your PSU will just shutdown or break. No explosions.

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

If you really want to not risk that either get a surge protector, or just unplug the computer when there's lighting or something.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Dude, I know, I was makign a funny x3

If you want a seriosu answer then make sure you have a surge protector. If it does get in then it'll fry your PSU at the very least.

Surge protector... i need to buy it

(NOW)War Horse:

(WAS)Old Coop:

If you really want to not risk that either get a surge protector, or just unplug the computer when there's lighting or something.

Now you know that latter one is not an option right? O3o

Yes your PC can get fried by sudden surge in electricity if lightning hits an electric wiring or your house. You should turn off and unplug the PC from the wall in case of Thunderstorm.

I think there is a very small chance that something like that could happen but as long as you have everything connected to a pretty decent surge protector you should be fine.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

(NOW)War Horse:

(WAS)Old Coop:

Be sure to disconnect ethernet cables too

Honestly your PSU IS a surge protector. Personally I would not worry about it. There are an infinite amount of places lightning can hit and it is unlikely it will surge through the power lines into your PC. Yeah the odds are technically greater of it hitting something metal but the odds are even still pretty slim.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Honestly your PSU IS a surge protector. Personally I would not worry about it. There are an infinite amount of places lightning can hit and it is unlikely it will surge through the power lines into your PC. Yeah the odds are technically greater of it hitting something metal but the odds are even still pretty slim.

It is a valid argument to make but frankly surge protectors are cheap and useful anyway so I still use them.

Maybe cause I HAVE had a PC melt due to lightning before.

Is it possible, if it is what are my chances of getting a hit? Theres been a mean lightning storm these week in my neighborhood(always are) but i hardly accept my parents heed.

Just that, ty.

It isn't that likely of getting hit by lightning when using your PC but there is always a chance. You should however be using a line conditioner or UPS if you have lots of current issues where you live. No if you were talking about the telephone, well that is another matter. It is highly likely to be hit in the ear by electricity if you have an electrical storm by telephone especially if it is a corded phone. I know of a woman in my country, third world as it maybe, got hit in ear while she was talking on the telephone while a small hurricane was passing over us in the nineties. She did not die but lost hearing in the ear that the phone's receiver was on and got burn scars on her face and hand.  

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Just that, ty.

Don't climb any trees with your computer.

I should be studying.

Don't worry if you or your parents have a insurance. If my pc would be stuck, I would care a sh** and just call them to get the money for a replacement. Just remember to write Titan on your graphics card before sending some pictures of the pc :D

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Don't worry if you or your parents have a insurance. If my pc would be stuck, I would care a sh** and just call them to get the money for a replacement. Just remember to write Titan on your graphics card before sending some pictures of the pc :D

Bro... im broke

(NOW)War Horse:

(WAS)Old Coop:

Totally agree to a surge protector, i got all my tech in a special surge protection extension plug set!

Bro... im broke

you could get a cheap APC surge protector, I think they have a $40K "insurance"

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Depends on your luck..

GOOD-LUCK-WERE.jpg

:ph34r: a ninja moves faster than lightning

Details separate people.