Corsair 750D with Asus Maximus Formula IV

LittleKid
Go to solution Solved by airdeano,

here is the work around if the v2 is not yet available. easily doable and no ill effects.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1430077/corsair-750d-owners-club/0_30#post_20888320

Mounting an ASUS Maximus VI Formula in the corsair 750D

I find it incredible how many of us are using the Maximus VI Formula with the 750D....
This seems to be a very common concern. I'm going to do my best to shed as much light as possible on this.

By brandon6199

Just so you all know, with the current Corsair 750D (includes all 750D's purchased in 2013 or prior). There are certain issues with the method that the motherboard standoffs are positioned, which causes issues when installing a motherboard with "armor" or a frontplate/backplate. The most popular being the ASUS Maximus VI Formula Z87 motherboard. Users have found, (and also confirmed) that with the backplate installed on the M6F, you are not able to properly screw down the motherboard into the motherboard tray of the 750D mainly due to the following 2 reasons:

1.) Issue: The current Corsair 750D has a built in center standoff that interferes with the installation with the ASUS Maximus VI Formula.

Solution: This can be removed by using a set of pliers and unscrewing the standoff and removing it entirely from the case, allowing you to successfully install the M6F with backplate once step two is complete.

2.) Issue: The screws that are included with the case/motherboard (usually 6-32 x 1/4") are not long enough to pass through the motherboard and armor and reach the threads in the motherboard tray.

Solution: This can be fixed by purchasing your own 6-32 x 3/8" length screws from any hardware store. The type of head on the screw is entirely up to you. For reference, here are the screws that I purchased and found to work perfectly.http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/details/24017?searchMode=productSearch&zipcode=&filterByStore=&filterByVendingMachine=&productSearchQueryString=term%3D1124017%26searchMode%3DproductSearch

There are some rumors and speculation that Corsair is going to be offering a revised version of the 750D with a different position for the standoffs, which would allow you to fit your M6F with backplate without any additional screws or modifications. For those of us who don't have the revised 750D, this is a quick and easy solution to getting that backplate to fit in your case.

Here is an image of the Maximus VI Formula with backplate installed.
putv.jpg

Here are some images of the 6-32 x 3/8" screws that I used. NOTE: You may notice that I used some rubber washers in these images. I ended up removing them due to the fact that the screws need to make contact with the solder points on the motherboard. I recommend not using any washers or o-rings at all.
dv8o.jpg
92a6.jpg
92a6.jpg

This is an image of the center standoff in the 750D that comes pre-installed. This needs to be removed with a set of pliers. It is a screw, so be sure to loosen it and remove it from the case. Do NOT try yanking it out! You'll probably damage your motherboard tray. Just unscrew it.
309x.jpg

Once you've gotten a hold of some 6-32 x 3/8" screws and you've removed the center standoff, it's as easy as lining up the motherboard with the threads on the tray, and screwing the motherboard in. I've found that it helps having a second hand to apply some pressure to the motherboard towards the I/O shield plate, allowing you to screw the motherboard down a little easier. You may notice the holes don't line up perfectly at first, but that's OK. The I/O shield plate is quite thick and naturally pushes the M6F away, causing the holes to be slightly offset. Luckily, the I/O shield plate has a padding that can compress, which means that with a little bit of muscle, you'll get it to fit with no problems.
dhoa.jpg
pi51.jpg
z32q.jpg
e8tl.jpg
v15d.jpg
68a9.jpg
ep2a.jpg

And that's it!

di56.jpg

You've now successfully installed your M6F with backplate into your 750D with very little effort.

putv.jpg

dv8o.jpg
92a6.jpg
92a6.jpg

309x.jpg

dhoa.jpg
pi51.jpg
z32q.jpg
e8tl.jpg
v15d.jpg
68a9.jpg
ep2a.jpg

di56.jpg

Hi Everyone, 

This is a problem I stumbled upon today, I have a Asus Maximus Formula VI and I plan on getting a Corsair 750D but from a lot of things I've read about that case and the motherboard combo are that there are lot of issues with that combo. The reason there is problem with that case and Motherboard is that unlike other cases that case has the Standoff's built in the case, there is a bump on the case as standoff's and as most of you will know that the Formula VI has the metal backplate, and that causes problems with the mounting of that Mobo in that case. 

I have read other places where Corsair Rep's have said they have a revised version of the case and they have specially concentrated on the issue of the case with that motherboard. I wanted to know if you know of you people's have bought this case recently and have this mobo and could help me out. I really like this case and this motherboard, I have already bought this motherboard :D

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=25211813&postcount=99

Here is a link to Corsair Rep talking about this issue

I live in Australia and plan on buying from Pc Case Gear

Thanks In Advance everyone :D

Kind Regards 

Utkarsh Anand 

Judging by the date of that post, the issue is long gone/ dealt with. You should have no issues with the Maximus VI Formula. 

//ccap

Judging by the date of that post, the issue is long gone/ dealt with. You should have no issues with the Maximus VI Formula. 

That's what I was thinking, but then just recently I saw a thread on Linus Tech tips like 2 months ago and they brought this issue up lol

Thanks for the reply tho :D

Ehh, wouldn't worry about it for 2 reasons.

1. I'm sure PCCG would let you swap the case, or at least contact there support and ask them first as they usually have tried things like this

2. The issue I believe is long gone, don't quote me but I think so. For another option, unless you really want the look of the obsidian, R4 is a good simple yet elegant case like the 750D!

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Ehh, wouldn't worry about it for 2 reasons.

1. I'm sure PCCG would let you swap the case, or at least contact there support and ask them first as they usually have tried things like this

2. The issue I believe is long gone, don't quote me but I think so. For another option, unless you really want the look of the obsidian, R4 is a good simple yet elegant case like the 750D!

Thanks for the reply, so you think that PCCG would have the new revision of the case?

I have emailed them and it's been more than 3 days and they still haven't replied -_- 

I would go for the R4, but I find that too Mainstream, and to be Honest I don't like the Design 

Thanks for the reply, so you think that PCCG would have the new revision of the case?

I have emailed them and it's been more than 3 days and they still haven't replied -_- 

I would go for the R4, but I find that too Mainstream, and to be Honest I don't like the Design

What's the 750d if the r4 is "mainstream"?

here is the work around if the v2 is not yet available. easily doable and no ill effects.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1430077/corsair-750d-owners-club/0_30#post_20888320

Mounting an ASUS Maximus VI Formula in the corsair 750D

I find it incredible how many of us are using the Maximus VI Formula with the 750D....
This seems to be a very common concern. I'm going to do my best to shed as much light as possible on this.

By brandon6199

Just so you all know, with the current Corsair 750D (includes all 750D's purchased in 2013 or prior). There are certain issues with the method that the motherboard standoffs are positioned, which causes issues when installing a motherboard with "armor" or a frontplate/backplate. The most popular being the ASUS Maximus VI Formula Z87 motherboard. Users have found, (and also confirmed) that with the backplate installed on the M6F, you are not able to properly screw down the motherboard into the motherboard tray of the 750D mainly due to the following 2 reasons:

1.) Issue: The current Corsair 750D has a built in center standoff that interferes with the installation with the ASUS Maximus VI Formula.

Solution: This can be removed by using a set of pliers and unscrewing the standoff and removing it entirely from the case, allowing you to successfully install the M6F with backplate once step two is complete.

2.) Issue: The screws that are included with the case/motherboard (usually 6-32 x 1/4") are not long enough to pass through the motherboard and armor and reach the threads in the motherboard tray.

Solution: This can be fixed by purchasing your own 6-32 x 3/8" length screws from any hardware store. The type of head on the screw is entirely up to you. For reference, here are the screws that I purchased and found to work perfectly.http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/details/24017?searchMode=productSearch&zipcode=&filterByStore=&filterByVendingMachine=&productSearchQueryString=term%3D1124017%26searchMode%3DproductSearch

There are some rumors and speculation that Corsair is going to be offering a revised version of the 750D with a different position for the standoffs, which would allow you to fit your M6F with backplate without any additional screws or modifications. For those of us who don't have the revised 750D, this is a quick and easy solution to getting that backplate to fit in your case.

Here is an image of the Maximus VI Formula with backplate installed.
putv.jpg

Here are some images of the 6-32 x 3/8" screws that I used. NOTE: You may notice that I used some rubber washers in these images. I ended up removing them due to the fact that the screws need to make contact with the solder points on the motherboard. I recommend not using any washers or o-rings at all.
dv8o.jpg
92a6.jpg
92a6.jpg

This is an image of the center standoff in the 750D that comes pre-installed. This needs to be removed with a set of pliers. It is a screw, so be sure to loosen it and remove it from the case. Do NOT try yanking it out! You'll probably damage your motherboard tray. Just unscrew it.
309x.jpg

Once you've gotten a hold of some 6-32 x 3/8" screws and you've removed the center standoff, it's as easy as lining up the motherboard with the threads on the tray, and screwing the motherboard in. I've found that it helps having a second hand to apply some pressure to the motherboard towards the I/O shield plate, allowing you to screw the motherboard down a little easier. You may notice the holes don't line up perfectly at first, but that's OK. The I/O shield plate is quite thick and naturally pushes the M6F away, causing the holes to be slightly offset. Luckily, the I/O shield plate has a padding that can compress, which means that with a little bit of muscle, you'll get it to fit with no problems.
dhoa.jpg
pi51.jpg
z32q.jpg
e8tl.jpg
v15d.jpg
68a9.jpg
ep2a.jpg

And that's it!

di56.jpg

You've now successfully installed your M6F with backplate into your 750D with very little effort.

putv.jpg

dv8o.jpg
92a6.jpg
92a6.jpg

309x.jpg

dhoa.jpg
pi51.jpg
z32q.jpg
e8tl.jpg
v15d.jpg
68a9.jpg
ep2a.jpg

di56.jpg

Seems like there is a work around. They usually reply to me in 2-4 days so you should get one soon I. Guess

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Seems like there is a work around. They usually reply to me in 2-4 days so you should get one soon I. Guess

I got a reply and they said 

Hi Utkarsh,

Unfortunately we don’t currently have any way to confirm this for you as they come in sealed boxes and we aren’t able to open them and check this for you.

So that's what they said, and they said if I do get a 750D and it's not a revision model and I've opened it out of the box, they don't won't take it back.

I really like that case and idk what to do

I got a reply and they said 

Hi Utkarsh,

Unfortunately we don’t currently have any way to confirm this for you as they come in sealed boxes and we aren’t able to open them and check this for you.

So that's what they said, and they said if I do get a 750D and it's not a revision model and I've opened it out of the box, they don't won't take it back.

I really like that case and idk what to do

If you like the case, just do the work around if needed, seems simple enough.

If you like the case, just do the work around if needed, seems simple enough.

Yeah I think I'll do that, But what about the middle screw? Should I find a work around for that? or just like it as is?

But hopefully they'll have the newer revision :D

it is not a big deal really. locating a screw for the stud replacement can be found

at any radio control, home improvement or hobby store.

it is not a big deal really. locating a screw for the stud replacement can be found

Easy in the US maybe, not so much in Aus, it's just taken me a week to find a place with button head M4 Allen head bolts...

Maybe easy in America but not here, Australia is shit for things like that. Like literally it is so hard to find things that you could just buy from RadioShack or whatever easily in America