RTX 4060 debate, potentially not terrible? *Nope, it is.

The best way to describe the 4060 - It's a 50 class GPU, which is a rebranded 30 class, that is sold as a 60 class, for a 70 class money. Go figure why no one wants to buy it.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

1 minute ago, QuantumSingularity said:

The best way to describe the 4060 - It's a 50 class GPU, which is a rebranded 30 class, that is sold as a 60 class, for a 70 class money. Go figure why no none wants to buy it.

BuT dLsS iS cOoL!!!,!@!"!

They should just give up on the consumer market and focus 100% on data center stuff.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

2 hours ago, WallacEngineering said:

FAKE frames are NOT a reason to buy a card. I will NEVER consider frame generation to be a reason to spend more money, and neither should any of you.

Choosing this is like choosing a camera with great digital zoom and poor optical zoom. The more you zoom in, the more grainy the picture is. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

Nvidia doing their utmost best to make sure AMD sells all its remaining 6600XT and 6700XT cards...

The power consumption marketing trick on their website is just downright sad, desperate and laughable.

Case: Lian Li O11-dynamic mini | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: AMD Radeon RX6800 | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B550 E-Gaming | Memory: 32Gb 3600Mhz G. SKILL Trident Z | PSU: Corsair SF750 Platinum | Cooling: Lian Li Galahad AIO 240 | Case fans: Lian Li Unifans

33 minutes ago, porina said:

Going by techpowerup, for raster compared to 3600 it is +18% at 1080p, +14% at 1440p, +10% at 4k. This is on the lower end of expectations but not wildly outside such.

For RT, it is +17% at 1080p, +13% at 1440p, and -5% at 4k. Yes, slower at RT at 4k.

For 1080p and 1440p 4060 is 2 or 3% faster than 7600. However at 4k it is 10% faster. Team red seems to fall off harder there.

As would be expected, RT is a weak spot for AMD, and the 7600 gets destroyed here. 4060 is 27% faster at 1080p, 40% faster at 1440, and 96% faster at 4k. 7600 really doesn't do 4k well.

IMO it is in the ball park of where it needed to be, and will sell by the bucket load. This is the current gen GPU for the masses. 7600 gives slightly better perf/$ if you only look at raster gaming, but if you ever touch RT at all or use any of the nvidia features the 4060 makes more sense.

3060 remains a maybe option. I'll await actual UK pricing but I'd expect 4060 to more or less equal a new 3060, so the only real reason to consider a 3060 will be if you want 12GB VRAM over 8GB.

Your loss.

If you count only raster perf AMD haven't been that bad at more or less matching nvidia in some areas outside the top end. Like last gen 6800XT was close enough to a 3080 as long as you don't go anywhere near RT. I'm sure there's more similar areas of overlap. It is not unusual, but also not always the case.

By die size is an interesting metric. That would be looking at performance gain enabled by improved process. Has anyone actually worked that out?

As a typical trend new gen GPUs perform like the tier-or-so above previous gen tier, and we are kinda still doing that outside the 4060 Ti.

The chart I have above is die by die-ish, its only about 3-5% smaller which is tracked all the way down, its more complex than that however. The only major difference is some of the naming on the actual GPUs, so you have to compare by die size. Only one that's 1:1 by name is the xx102 GPUs, the rest are varied, so I compare by die size.

The RTX 4060/4060ti versus RTX 3050 though is complex, since the RTX 3050 uses either a highly chopped GA106 or a full configured GA107. Comparing the AD106 and GA107 though is what tracks when using the die size differential between the GA102 and AD102 as a baseline. That's where its best to compare with the actual core count, but yes, discussing the actual GPU used is important. Just some SKUs are more complex, since they can sit on the threshold between a fully unlocked smaller die and a practically fully down configured larger die.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional IT since 2017

30 minutes ago, porina said:

Your loss.

Well, your girlfriend can also fake her orgasm, but would you realky want to call that a "feature" worth paying for?

29 minutes ago, QuantumSingularity said:

The best way to describe the 4060 - It's a 50 class GPU, which is a rebranded 30 class, that is sold as a 60 class, for a 70 class money. Go figure why no none wants to buy it.

This hurts my brain, but for some reason it makes sense - damnit 🤣

4 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Choosing this is like choosing a camera with great digital zoom and poor optical zoom. The more you zoom in, the more grainy the picture is. 

Actually, thats a good way to put it... DLSS does the same thing - the more you look at it, the worse it gets... Nice one 👍

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

Watching this now.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

The 3840 core count reported by techpowerup was grossly off, since now with official release, its only 3072.

image.png.742f21d4f8badd1c5dfac1d99342e51f.png

image.thumb.png.f15ad5e932b9c86bb10ce2330039a8a1.png

I've fixed the core counts in my posts.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

image.png.08b58b196a188876055623cc7311001a.png

This made me LOL so I thought I'd leave it here.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

54 minutes ago, Agall said:

image.png.08b58b196a188876055623cc7311001a.png

This made me LOL so I thought I'd leave it here.

What's the best card that it's faster than?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

6 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

What's the best card that it's faster than?

The fierce competition of a hamster wheel.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

11 minutes ago, Agall said:

The fierce competition of a hamster wheel.

Seriously, though. You'll see why. 2080?

22 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

image.thumb.png.39eae65a08bdd4067378d44b68739a56.pngMy entry

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

My board supports bifurcation so if a cheap 4060 were to fall in my lap I could use those 8 lanes for something else.

This post has been ninja-edited while you weren't looking.

I'm a used parts bottom feeder.  Your loss is my gain.

I like people who tell good RGB jokes.

3 minutes ago, Agall said:

My entry

How about this?

image.png.3aeeba4477335238dca4f2831657245a.png

Just now, r00tb33r said:

My board supports bifurcation so if a cheap 4060 were to fall in my lap I could use those 8 lanes for something else.

That's sounds naughty. 🤣

1 minute ago, RevGAM said:

That's sounds naughty. 🤣

You mistake bifurcation for fornication 😆

11 minutes ago, r00tb33r said:

You mistake bifurcation for fornication 😆

Well, you did use "lap" in the same sentence! LOL!😅😅🤣😂😇

5 hours ago, WallacEngineering said:

RTX 4060 =

rBVaVV1l39WAKU3oAAFzlPXxyWI811.jpg.b8fc505ec61bac51f4312ee97b2683d2.jpg

The Turbo-est snail on planet Earth.

Hey, isn't that Gary? 🤣🐌

@r00tb33r @Agall

Didja notice the EYES on my snail and turtle? Teams Blue and Red are represented. 😆

I'll be honest, this isn't a product I'm likely to buy used, I'm pickier than that.  But I also skip many generations at a time.  My last powerful GPU is a Kepler Titan Black, and that lasted me 7 years.  If not for lack of some APIs I'm still fine using it.  Last time I was gaming on it was a year ago and there was only one game that didn't run, which I didn't care for anyway, otherwise it was still useful to me.

That also means I'm under no pressure to care for AMD.

In the communication I've had with Intel I implored them to make their product rich with features Nvidia does not offer.  To make inroads into the professional market they would have had to offer more than just price.

3 minutes ago, r00tb33r said:

I'll be honest, this isn't a product I'm likely to buy used, I'm pickier than that.  But I also skip many generations at a time.  My last powerful GPU is a Kepler Titan Black, and that lasted me 7 years.  If not for lack of some APIs I'm still fine using it.  Last time I was gaming on it was a year ago and there was only one game that didn't run, which I didn't care for anyway, otherwise it was still useful to me.

That also means I'm under no pressure to care for AMD.

In the communication I've had with Intel I implored them to make their product rich with features Nvidia does not offer.  To make inroads into the professional market they would have had to offer more than just price.

I'd argue that the A380 offers the lowest price for a dedicated AV1 encoder and quad display outputs, being a product rich with features that the competition doesn't have at that price point.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

3 minutes ago, Agall said:

I'd argue that the A380 offers the lowest price for a dedicated AV1 encoder and quad display outputs, being a product rich with features that the competition doesn't have at that price point.

They don't do interlacing on Arc, meaning it's not useful at all for broadcast content.

Sometimes copying Nvidia's homework doesn't pay off.

I told them, they didn't listen.