brand new pc with weird gfx errors

Kirah
Go to solution Solved by Agall,
7 minutes ago, RaZz0r said:

hmm let's see if I update / reinstall the chipset driver according to armory crate I have the latest one already along with the onboard gpu driver and see if it changes things

AMD chipset drivers can be weird. I've seen some places recommend specifically the one on the motherboard manufacturer's website, but I more than not just grab the global one from AMD's website for the respective AM5 chipset.

So I recently built a brand new pc running a Ryzen 7 7700X, RX 6950XT and 32 gigs pf 5200mhz ram running Windows 11

I have two primary problems, the first is that for whatever reason I can't go above 120hz at 2560x1440 while my RTX 2070 could do 144hz and 2560x1440 is AMD more picky with cables or am I missing something.

My second, more pressing problem is that I get some really weird GFX artifacts / glitches like green flickering lines / squares on my secondary monitors.

But it only happens when I tab out of a game to check something on my other screens, and it's not all games either, the worst offender is World of Warcraft.

While in, FFXIV runs flawlessly without any weird artifacting when tabbing out of the game.

I have already tried disabling MPO doing a clean reinstallation of the GFX driver both the pro version and normal version and tried turning off rage mode in AMD adrenaline without any luck.

So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

When you say...

doing a clean reinstallation of the GFX driver both the pro version and normal version

How did you do this? Did you use DDU? Or, did you just delete the driver and reinstall it?

32 minutes ago, RaZz0r said:

So I recently built a brand new pc running a Ryzen 7 7700X, RX 6950XT and 32 gigs pf 5200mhz ram running Windows 11

I have two primary problems, the first is that for whatever reason I can't go above 120hz at 2560x1440 while my RTX 2070 could do 144hz and 2560x1440 is AMD more picky with cables or am I missing something.

My second, more pressing problem is that I get some really weird GFX artifacts / glitches like green flickering lines / squares on my secondary monitors.

But it only happens when I tab out of a game to check something on my other screens, and it's not all games either, the worst offender is World of Warcraft.

While in, FFXIV runs flawlessly without any weird artifacting when tabbing out of the game.

I have already tried disabling MPO doing a clean reinstallation of the GFX driver both the pro version and normal version and tried turning off rage mode in AMD adrenaline without any luck.

So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Are you using HDMI or DP from the 6950XT? HDMI sucks in general, so I'd recommend DP for any computer monitor if available.

I can't speak on FFXIV, but WoW does let you select the GPU output and API in the advanced system settings, worth playing with to see if anything changes.

I've tested abusing the heck out of GPU swapping on the same install, to include multiple generations of Nvidia cards and a Radeon card without ever running DDU, so anything is fixable without having to use that tool in my opinion. Might be required though, I just never ran into a scenario where I needed it.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

2 minutes ago, aSkyduke said:

When you say...

How did you do this? Did you use DDU? Or, did you just delete the driver and reinstall it?

DDU in safe mode with windows auto drivers turned off

sounds like you may have a lemon with that GPU to me at least

1 minute ago, Agall said:

Are you using HDMI or DP from the 6950XT?

I can't speak on FFXIV, but WoW does let you select the GPU output and API in the advanced system settings, worth playing with to see if anything changes.

I've tested abusing the heck out of GPU swapping on the same install, to include multiple generations of Nvidia cards and a Radeon card without ever running DDU, so anything is fixable without having to use that tool in my opinion. Might be required though, I just never ran into a scenario where I needed it.

I'm using DP from the 6950XT guess I can play around with the API settings 

Just now, RaZz0r said:

I'm using DP from the 6950XT guess I can play around with the API settings 

You obviously should be able to run DX12, but it might help narrow down any issues. Did you uninstall the Nvidia software from control panel? I've seen issues come up simply from having that in the background.

Not sure how bad ray tracing is in Dragonflight, but when I last played in SL, it was practically a worthless setting, if you have that enabled currently.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

7 minutes ago, Agall said:

You obviously should be able to run DX12, but it might help narrow down any issues. Did you uninstall the Nvidia software from control panel? I've seen issues come up simply from having that in the background.

Not sure how bad ray tracing is in Dragonflight, but when I last played in SL, it was practically a worthless setting, if you have that enabled currently.

I don't really use ray tracing in general ( hence why I went with team red this time around ) the Nvidia software is completely gone since i did a fresh windows install when i built the pc

1 minute ago, RaZz0r said:

I don't really use ray tracing in general ( hence why I went with team red this time around ) the Nvidia software is completely gone since i did a fresh windows install when i built the pc

Also shouldn't have to, but forcing PCIe 4.0 on the PCIE1 x16 slot. If its happening in FF and WoW then its unlikely to be the software itself.

Did you install the chipset driver for your system? I've had to install it in almost every AM5 system I've built which is 4 so far to alleviate some sort of issue. Both your CPU's iGPU and dGPU are running RDNA2, so maybe there's a strange conflict between them. That chipset driver does more than just chipset stuff, AMD likes to bundle in a lot of stuff into that driver package in my experience.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

13 minutes ago, Agall said:

Also shouldn't have to, but forcing PCIe 4.0 on the PCIE1 x16 slot. If its happening in FF and WoW then its unlikely to be the software itself.

Did you install the chipset driver for your system? I've had to install it in almost every AM5 system I've built which is 4 so far to alleviate some sort of issue. Both your CPU's iGPU and dGPU are running RDNA2, so maybe there's a strange conflict between them. That chipset driver does more than just chipset stuff, AMD likes to bundle in a lot of stuff into that driver package in my experience.

hmm let's see if I update / reinstall the chipset driver according to armory crate I have the latest one already along with the onboard gpu driver and see if it changes things

7 minutes ago, RaZz0r said:

AMD chipset drivers can be weird. I've seen some places recommend specifically the one on the motherboard manufacturer's website, but I more than not just grab the global one from AMD's website for the respective AM5 chipset.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

1 hour ago, Agall said:

Right, getting the AM5 chipset directly from AMD seems to have fixed it *knock on all the wood* it also seems like it has improved my frame timings somewhat as games feel smoother my refresh rate is sadly still limited to 120, but it might just be due to a bad DP cable as it has a few years on its neck at this point at least I can sleep soundly at night knowing that my brand-new GPU is not busted out of the box and have to deal with RMA and all that jazz

10 minutes ago, Kirah said:

Right, getting the AM5 chipset directly from AMD seems to have fixed it *knock on all the wood* it also seems like it has improved my frame timings somewhat as games feel smoother my refresh rate is sadly still limited to 120, but it might just be due to a bad DP cable as it has a few years on its neck at this point at least I can sleep soundly at night knowing that my brand-new GPU is not busted out of the box and have to deal with RMA and all that jazz

I'd be curious if flipping your DP cable around will change anything with the refresh rate issue. Also making sure the monitor itself in its OSD is set to 144Hz capable, since some force you to enable 'overclocked' mode to get certain refresh rates.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

17 minutes ago, Agall said:

I'd be curious if flipping your DP cable around will change anything with the refresh rate issue. Also making sure the monitor itself in its OSD is set to 144Hz capable, since some force you to enable 'overclocked' mode to get certain refresh rates.

As it's a full size DP cable, it can only go in one way I did find an overdrive setting in my monitor's OSD, but it did not seem to do anything

surprised chipset drivers could cause such artifacting; I'll have to keep that one in mind. I always grabbed my chipset drivers right from AMD as well with their universal installer so didn't even think of that.

glad it's helped you OP 👍

9 minutes ago, Kirah said:

As it's a full size DP cable, it can only go in one way I did find an overdrive setting in my monitor's OSD, but it did not seem to do anything

I'm talking about swapping the ends, as in which end plugs into which component.

Overdrive is mostly for lower latency, I generally keep it off since it can mess with color accuracy.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

10 minutes ago, Agall said:

I'm talking about swapping the ends, as in which end plugs into which component.

Overdrive is mostly for lower latency, I generally keep it off since it can mess with color accuracy.

Ooh, right ofc I need more coffee I did swap them around a bit, but It's still locked to 120 how strange