m.2 drives and enclosures

tdkid

i am just wondering. has anyone here ever thought of taking an m.2. putting it into an enclosure like any of the ones linked below and used that as additional storage on your desktop? i am wondering because I think its kind of funny but also wondering if it would even work. i know you would be limited to things like the USB ports on your case or the USB headers on your motherboard but m.2s don't take up that much space, are faster that a 2.5" SSD and extremely faster than a 3.5" HDD.

what are your guys thoughts on any of this?

m.2 enclosure - Bing images

10 minutes ago, tdkid said:

i am just wondering. has anyone here ever thought of taking an m.2. putting it into an enclosure like any of the ones linked below and used that as additional storage on your desktop? i am wondering because I think its kind of funny but also wondering if it would even work. i know you would be limited to things like the USB ports on your case or the USB headers on your motherboard but m.2s don't take up that much space, are faster that a 2.5" SSD and extremely faster than a 3.5" HDD.

There's not really any point given those adapters are usually USB 3.0 Gen 1, so a 2.5" SSD will perform pretty much identically.  Also a lot of those are SATA M.2 rather than NVMe, so basically ARE identical to a 2.5" SSD.

If you have any spare PCIe slots you can use, you can also use an NVMe adapter on those too and get superior performance to USB.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

3 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

There's not really any point given those adapters are usually USB 3.0 Gen 1, so a 2.5" SSD will perform pretty much identically.  Also a lot of those are SATA M.2 rather than NVMe, so basically ARE identical to a 2.5" SSD.

If you have any spare PCIe slots you can use, you can also use an NVMe adapter on those too and get superior performance to USB.

well the case i have is the corsair 1000D supertower which has 4 USB 3 ports and 2 type C ports. my motherboard currently doesn't support the type c ports but I was wondering because I am also limited to 1 m.2 slot on the board itself and was just kind of thinking of the last few days of what if instead of getting several internal SSDs which would require cable management too. a couple of external m.2 drives and enclosures would work for quick replacement for various things. but from what I understand. most of the m.2s are Nvme, not SATA as you think but there are sata ones out there. and i think i might. the board is the msi z370 gaming plus. so pretty sure i do like if i wanted to put another GPU in but that would be overkill. but i will look into this.

42 minutes ago, tdkid said:

There are many the USB-c (assuming 10G if not faster) to nvme enclosure

They are perfect for small NVMe you no longer have slots for or Data rescue.