Starting PC made PSU go up in smoke

Ertishop

A few days ago I woke up and wanted to play some more diablo, when I hit the power button I just heard a pffffffffttt sound and saw in the back of the pc how a bunch of some got blown out(literally as if someone was blowing smoke out) I directly unplugged the power cable and then I started recording, I was looking if it will catch fire so I throw the case out or rescue my GPU inside but afterwards nothing happened, after that I didn't touch it, my first unprofessional guess was my PSU is broken and hopefully nothing else I ordered a new PSU and will try it in a few days, I also was using a power cord plug that protects from electricity spikes (don't know the English name).

Update: My new PSU arrived, MSI PSU MPG A1000G PCIE5 1000W 80+ GOLD i was gonna change the PSU and all the cables that come from it but then got too lazy, left all cables inside just replaced the PSU first boot it kept restarting but after removing the ram and plugging it back it works fine now. the old PSU had some oily liquid leaking out of it.

I'm here now to hopefully get a bit educated and ask why could this have happened was it any bad practice i had or just bad luck, what inside the PSU made all this smoke and in general what even happened really here

everything except the AIO was bought august 2019, AIO was beginning of 2023

In 2019 when i bought this stuff it was literally more then 10 months worth of my salary in the country i live and i have an okay salary, now this year just the new PSU was a bit more then a quarter of my salary, tech stuff is very expensive here, thats why i went with a bit cheaper one this time 

these are the specs if it helps with anything

GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB GAMING X TRIO

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 ARCTIC Liquid Freezer

Storage: Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB M.2 NVME SSD

Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" SSD

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold

13 minutes ago, Ertishop said:

A few days ago I woke up and wanted to play some more diablo, when I hit the power button I just heard a pffffffffttt sound and saw in the back of the pc how a bunch of some got blown out(literally as if someone was blowing smoke out) I directly unplugged the power cable and then I started recording, I was looking if it will catch fire so I throw the case out or rescue my GPU inside but afterwards nothing happened, after that I didn't touch it, my first unprofessional guess was my PSU is broken and hopefully nothing else I ordered a new PSU and will try it in a few days, I also was using a power cord plug that protects from electricity spikes (don't know the English name).

Update: My new PSU arrived, MSI PSU MPG A1000G PCIE5 1000W 80+ GOLD i was gonna change the PSU and all the cables that come from it but then got too lazy, left all cables inside just replaced the PSU first boot it kept restarting but after removing the ram and plugging it back it works fine now. the old PSU had some oily liquid leaking out of it.

I'm here now to hopefully get a bit educated and ask why could this have happened was it any bad practice i had or just bad luck, what inside the PSU made all this smoke and in general what even happened really here

everything except the AIO was bought august 2019, AIO was beginning of 2023

In 2019 when i bought this stuff it was literally more then 10 months worth of my salary in the country i live and i have an okay salary, now this year just the new PSU was a bit more then a quarter of my salary, tech stuff is very expensive here, thats why i went with a bit cheaper one this time 

these are the specs if it helps with anything

GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB GAMING X TRIO

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 ARCTIC Liquid Freezer

Storage: Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB M.2 NVME SSD

Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" SSD

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Go

Did you just leave all the old cables inside? Hopefully just extension cables and not the modular cables from the corsair PSU. If it works, then you're just lucky thats it's wired the same way and therefore works (same OEM). My guess is that you didn't clean your PC and dust was shorting the PSU. i would advise buying a electric air duster, like this one for example: https://www.amazon.com/XPOWER-Inflating-Detailing-Performance-Eco-Friendly/dp/B086WRHRSJ/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=electric+duster&qid=1687437114&sr=8-11

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

You used the Corsair psu cables for the MSI PSU?

Your not going to like this but i would suggest a rebuild to make sure any of the old PSU liquid you found is nowhere else in the case and clean it out regardless

Do not mess around (looking inside it)  with the corsair psu dispose of it safley and i would just use the msi cables for peace of mind.

As for the cause? Its very unlikley a PSU would blow up like that unless Gigabyte made it. Is the power source stable in your country? Lots of black outs?

PSU really blew up, pretty rare with Corsair RMx PSU !

They have a 5 year long warranty period, check if you can get a replacement (if you don't need it resell it)

Pls change all your cables they may not be really compatible and work for a time then melt or whatever, something  bad will happen 😮 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

34 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Did you just leave all the old cables inside? Hopefully just extension cables and not the modular cables from the corsair PSU. If it works, then you're just lucky thats it's wired the same way and therefore works (same OEM). My guess is that you didn't clean your PC and dust was shorting the PSU. i would advise buying a electric air duster, like this one for example: https://www.amazon.com/XPOWER-Inflating-Detailing-Performance-Eco-Friendly/dp/B086WRHRSJ/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=electric+duster&qid=1687437114&sr=8-11

yes all cables didn't remove one of them just the Psu itself

yes i live in a very dusty environment

and yes i got one of those electric air dusters but hadn't cleaned it since a few months

33 minutes ago, Ottoman420 said:

You used the Corsair psu cables for the MSI PSU?

Your not going to like this but i would suggest a rebuild to make sure any of the old PSU liquid you found is nowhere else in the case and clean it out regardless

Do not mess around (looking inside it)  with the corsair psu dispose of it safley and i would just use the msi cables for peace of mind.

As for the cause? Its very unlikley a PSU would blow up like that unless Gigabyte made it. Is the power source stable in your country? Lots of black outs?

didnt replace any cables

i checked for liquid and cleaned the bottom up

but will later replace them according to your suggestions

to be honest i tought all these cables are the same and just the psu itself is a different brand, my tought was all these custom made cables that get advertised have to work somehow so i guess all are same, but good to know then nothing happened again

5 minutes ago, Ertishop said:

yes all cables didn't remove one of them just the Psu itself

yes i live in a very dusty environment

and yes i got one of those electric air dusters but hadn't cleaned it since a few months

didnt replace any cables

i checked for liquid and cleaned the bottom up

but will later replace them according to your suggestions

to be honest i tought all these cables are the same and just the psu itself is a different brand, my tought was all these custom made cables that get advertised have to work somehow so i guess all are same, but good to know then nothing happened again

I see, then I shouldn't even be that bad. I wanna clean my PC now XD. Yeah the issue is that the connectors is sometimes the same, but wiring is different.   

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

so you guys scared me enough that i opened up the case and changed the cables of GPU, Motherboard and CPU but sata cables and peripherals i still left coudnt be bothered to be honest at least i have half of a peace inside of me now, atm everything works fine