Possibly Amazing Thrift Store Find

Macimoar
Go to solution Solved by steelfoxy,

At worst case you have 16gb ram for 10 bucks.

Found this at the thrift store today. I almost didn’t check out the tech section because they rarely have anything. But I lucked out today and found some spare parts in a handy PC case for 10 bucks. 

Possibly useable parts include:

2x8GB DDR4 RAM

Corsair 80mm AIO

3 Corsair case fans

Corsair CX750M PSU

Motherboard has some bent and missing pins, so I probably won’t be able to get any use out of that; but if the RAM and AIO are working, I’ll be well on my way to upgrade my rig (still need CPU/Motherboard). I don’t currently have a DDR4 compatible motherboard, so I can’t test the RAM sticks yet, but I should be able to test the cooler. 

Honestly, if even one of these parts works it’s a good dealIMG_1494.thumb.jpeg.8742072ce40736ec84d9c9b2ffdfea48.jpeg

Best case scenario, I’ve cut my upgrade cost in half. At worst, I have half a PC case

IMG_1495.jpeg

DELETE! DELETE!

EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

Silence will fall.

PSU Tier List - I keep forgetting where this is so I'm going to leave it here.

For $10? That's an amazing thrift store find. What are the specs on the ram? 

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

At worst case you have 16gb ram for 10 bucks.

Specs: Ryzen 7 5700G w/ Wraith Prism(locked at 4.2 ghz)

32 GB(4x8) Kingston HyperX Predator 3200 MHZ CL 16 RAM

Asus Prime B550M-A Wi-Fi

3 SSD(250 nVME+480+250)

Cooler Master H500 w/ 750W +80 Bronze PSU

MSI GTX 670 Jurassic Park edition(i don't know the model name it is just as old as a dinosaur)

What a bargain. The case fans alone are worth $10 each.

Try and repair the bent pins. Use a pair of tweezers or a needle or something to gently bend the pins back in to place. It's a good motherboard so it's definitely worth trying to salvage. Shame it didn't include a CPU.

Bit of a mess though. Could use a rebuild to get those cables sorted. RAM should also be in slots 2 and 4.

I wouldn't hold out much hope of the 120mm AIO working. Judging by the parts the PC would have been built around 5 years ago, and in my experience those AIO pumps begin to start to die after the 5 year mark. If you test it and find it doesn't work then that might explain why they got rid of the PC - I'm assuming the bent CPU pins occurred after they removed the CPU.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

10 hours ago, Spotty said:

What a bargain. The case fans alone are worth $10 each.

Try and repair the bent pins. Use a pair of tweezers or a needle or something to gently bend the pins back in to place. It's a good motherboard so it's definitely worth trying to salvage. Shame it didn't include a CPU.

Bit of a mess though. Could use a rebuild to get those cables sorted. RAM should also be in slots 2 and 4.

I wouldn't hold out much hope of the 120mm AIO working. Judging by the parts the PC would have been built around 5 years ago, and in my experience those AIO pumps begin to start to die after the 5 year mark. If you test it and find it doesn't work then that might explain why they got rid of the PC - I'm assuming the bent CPU pins occurred after they removed the CPU.

Yeah, I’m thinking the AIO is probably dead, but the fan probably still works. 
The motherboard has both bent and missing pins, though. I can bend pins back in place, but I can’t really fix missing ones. 

DELETE! DELETE!

Silence will fall.

12 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

For $10? That's an amazing thrift store find. What are the specs on the ram? 

The RAM sticks are 2 8GB sticks PNY Anarchy (feels weird to see PNY in a build with literally everything else Corsair. 
DDR4-3200 CL 16-18-18-36

Sells for around $30 at Best Buy when they’re on sale

DELETE! DELETE!

Silence will fall.

21 minutes ago, Macimoar said:

The RAM sticks are 2 8GB sticks PNY Anarchy (feels weird to see PNY in a build with literally everything else Corsair. 
DDR4-3200 CL 16-18-18-36

Sells for around $30 at Best Buy when they’re on sale

That’s a pretty good ram kit, with the power supply and fans that is a heck of a find.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1