Is Z97 MPOWER MAX AC Mainboard compatible with SAMSUNG 990 PRO or WD _BLACK SN850X SSD?

Hi,

I want to get a new SSD because my old one keeps filling up with stuff. I was thinking about buying a Samsung 990 Pro or a WD Black SN850X, and I was looking around the Internet to find out whether my motherboard, Z97 MPOWER MAX AC, is compatible or not. I found some posts stating it was compatible and some stating it wouldn't make a difference between a normal SSD and a M.2. I also found an article where someone used a "Lycom DT-120 M.2 SSD to PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter Card" to attach a NVMe SSD to his Z97 motherboard. I honestly have no clue what to do. Maybe you could help me understand the differences and decide what I should buy.

Thanks in advance!

I believe your MB supports PCIe Gen 2 M.2 which might mean max 2GB/s.

So if I were you I'd buy a cheap M.2 (2TB) ssd like the Intel 670p and be happy with it

4*times the speed of a sata ssd

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

10 Gb/s = 10/8 GB/s

Gigabyte = 8 gigabits 

So yeah,  1,25 GB/s

I edit my posts more often than not

5 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

10 Gb/s = 10/8 GB/s

Gigabyte = 8 gigabits 

So yeah,  1,25 GB/s

Seems I got bad at math, 🤔

So still double the speed of sata3, right ?

Edited by leclod

2 minutes ago, leclod said:

Seems I got bad at math, 🤔

So still double the speed of sata3, right ?

Yeah but for a high end NVMe SSD its still a fair bottelneck, or more like a needle hole.

Edit: I was bad at calculating, before editing...

2 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Yeah but for a high end NVMe SSD its still a fair bottelneck, or more like a needle hole.

Edit: I was bad at calculating, before editing...

why not go cheap ? I use a 660p

Just now, leclod said:

why not go cheap ? I use a 660p

Yeah, that what I meant - no point buying a high end NVMe.

660p is cheap and does the job. Although there are some better options regionally I believe.

Or you could buy that Adapter Card and a higher end ssd keeping in mind your MB bottlenecks at Gen3 (4GB/s) in the best case.

I believe with the cheap option you'd get 85% of the expensive option in real world experience

(There's that UEFI restriction in the description though, I don't exactly know what it means, you run an UEFI Bios, right ?)

Edited by leclod

55 minutes ago, chilli1111 said:

Hi,

I want to get a new SSD because my old one keeps filling up with stuff. I was thinking about buying a Samsung 990 Pro or a WD Black SN850X, and I was looking around the Internet to find out whether my motherboard, Z97 MPOWER MAX AC, is compatible or not. I found some posts stating it was compatible and some stating it wouldn't make a difference between a normal SSD and a M.2. I also found an article where someone used a "Lycom DT-120 M.2 SSD to PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter Card" to attach a NVMe SSD to his Z97 motherboard. I honestly have no clue what to do. Maybe you could help me understand the differences and decide what I should buy.

Thanks in advance!

In my opinion, you mind as well go for a PCIe 4.0 M.2 regardless, since the price isn't much more, and if something happens to your near decade old z97 platform, you can just transplant it to a new system that'll make full use of it.

Z97 boards and M.2 were weird, my Z97 impact supports full PCIe 3.0 4x, but a lot of boards that era were 2x, some even PCIe 2.0 it seems. PCIe 2.0 2x is still far better than SATA, so I'd opt for it.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

17 minutes ago, Agall said:

In my opinion, you mind as well go for a PCIe 4.0 M.2 regardless, since the price isn't much more, and if something happens to your near decade old z97 platform, you can just transplant it to a new system that'll make full use of it.

Z97 boards and M.2 were weird, my Z97 impact supports full PCIe 3.0 4x, but a lot of boards that era were 2x, some even PCIe 2.0 it seems. PCIe 2.0 2x is still far better than SATA, so I'd opt for it.

I've got a Gigabyte h97 that has a gen3 m.2, but it's janky and only works reliably at gen2 speeds. Same with the pcie 16X slot.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

High end gen4 ssds are pointless for the average gamer or user that doesnt do stuff like high res video editing that can actually take advantage of gen4

Just buy a cheap one like the msi m371, silicon power a80, etc.

And any leftover budget you can use to actually upgrade platform alongside the money you get for reselling the board + cpu + ram, you can problably get a used ryzen 1600/2600 or even 3600 based combo as an upgrade cause some ppl still overpaying for ancient haswell stuff

5 minutes ago, Sarra said:

I've got a Gigabyte h97 that has a gen3 m.2, but it's janky and only works reliably at gen2 speeds. Same with the pcie 16X slot.

z97 itself supports not only NVMe M.2 drives but also AHCI M.2 drives. I believe my Z97 impact (which I still have) still runs the Samsung SM951 AHCI 500GB PCIe 3.0 4x drive I bought for it way back in 2015. Its not the easiest thing to get Windows installed on, but once its working, it works.

I remember back in that time it was hit or miss with a lot of Z97 motherboards, Z107 being better at supporting NVMe natively when it came out.

Even recently fired it up to do some testing lol. It ran my TV for a while after retiring it as my main rig back in 2021 or so.

image.png.6f0ef49bc94d262f1ea60305430b7457.png

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

2 minutes ago, Agall said:

z97 itself supports not only NVMe M.2 drives but also AHCI M.2 drives. I believe my Z97 impact (which I still have) still runs the Samsung SM951 AHCI 500GB PCIe 3.0 4x drive I bought for it way back in 2015. Its not the easiest thing to get Windows installed on, but once its working, it works.

I remember back in that time it was hit or miss with a lot of Z97 motherboards, Z107 being better at supporting NVMe natively when it came out.

Well, it was the first set of gen3 boards. Mine was an early example, and gen 3 was actually broken on my board on early BIOS. I have the last BIOS that Gigabyte released, and it works, but it does have reliability problems. I typically ran it in gen2 mode, though now I'm just running a 10GbE card in the 16x slot and it's reliable enough.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

Thank you all for your help. I think I might go for a regular SSD, which should be less expensive and suitable for my needs.

30 minutes ago, chilli1111 said:

Thank you all for your help. I think I might go for a regular SSD, which should be less expensive and suitable for my needs.

Btw what country?

1tb ssds generally go around the 35-50$ range nowadays

Here in indo the cheapest ones are around the 43$ mark for reference

23 hours ago, Agall said:

This can be quite mislieding as the SM951 MZHPVxxxHDGL-00000 SSD are the rare SATAexpress ones. It’s like the whole different breed, that is using AHCI protocol, but communicates through PCIe interface, like the NVMe SSD.
It will work on any other mobo that have PCIe on M.2, even if the mobo doesn't support normal AHCI SATA M.2 SSD. It can even work with old PC that don't support NVMe on PCIe adapter.

Spoiler
CPU : Intel 14gen i7-14700K
COOLER :  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 White + thermaltake toughfan 12 white + Thermal Grizzly - CPU Contact Frame Intel 13./14. +  Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra
GPU : MSI RTX 2070 Armor @GPU 2050MHz Mem 8200MHz -> USB C 10Gb/s cable 2m -> Unitek 4x USB HUB 10 Gb/s (Y-HB08003)
MOBO : MSI MEG Z690 UNIFY
RAM :  Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) 6400 MHz CL32 (CMK64GX5M2B6400C32)
SSD : Intel Optane 905P 960GB U.2 (OS) + 2 x WD SN850X 4TB + 2 x PNY CS3140 2TB + ASM2824 PCIe switch -> 4 x Plextor M8PeG 1TB + flexiDOCK MB014SP-B -> Crucial MX500 2TB + GoodRam Iridium PRO 960GB + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
HDD : WD White 18TB WD180EDFZ + SATA port multiplier adp6st0-j05 (JMB575) ->  WD Gold 8TB WD8002FRYZ + WD Gold 4TB WD4002FYYZ + WD Red PRO 4TB WD4001FFSX + WD Green 2TB WD20EARS
EXTERNAL
HDD/SSD : 
XT-XINTE LM906 (JMS583) -> Plextor M8PeG 1TB + WD My Passport slim 1TB + LaCie Porsche Design Mobile Drive 1TB USB-C + Zalman ZM-VE350 -> Goodram IRDM PRO 240GB
PSU :  Super Flower leadex platinum 750 W biały -> Bitfenix alchemy extensions białe/białe + AsiaHorse 16AWG White 
UPS :  CyberPower CP1500EPFCLCD -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 8 -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 10
LCD :  LG 32UD59-B + LG flatron IPS236 -> Silverstone SST-ARM11BC
CASE :  Fractal R5 Biały + Lian Li BZ-H06A srebrny + 6 x Thermaltake toughfan 14 white + Thermalright TL-B8W
SPEAKERS :  Aune S6 Pro -> Topping PA3-B -> Polk S20e black -> Monoprice stand 16250
HEADPHONES :  TOSLINK 2m -> Aune S6 Pro -> 2 x Monoprice Premier 1.8m 16AWG 3-pin XLR -> Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 887 -> 4-pin XLR na 2 x 3.5mm 16 cores OCC 2m Cable -> HiFiMAN Edition XS -> sheepskin pads + 4-pin XLR na 2 x 2.5mm ABLET silver 2m  Cable -> Monoprice Monolith M1060 + Brainwavz HM100 -> Brainwavz sheepskin oval pads + Wooden double Ɪ Stand + Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7BK -> sheepskin pads + Multibrackets MB1893 + Sennheiser Momentum 3 +  Philips Fidelio X2HR/00 + JBL J88 White
MIC :  Tonor TC30 -> Mozos SB38
KEYBOARD : Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent (EU) + Glorious PC Gaming Race Stealth Slim - Full Size Black + PQI MyLockey
MOUSE :  Logitech MX ERGO + 2 x Logitech MX Performance + Logitech G Pro wireless + Logitech G Pro Gaming -> Hotline Games 2.0 Plus + Corsair MM500 3xl + Corsair MM300 Extended + Razer goliathus control
CONTROLLERS :  Microsoft xbox series x controller pc (1VA-00002) -> brainwavz audio Controller Holder UGC2 + Microsoft xbox 360 wireless black + Ravcore Javelin
NET :  Intel x520-DA2 -> 2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT + 2 x ASUS ZenWiFi Pro XT12
NAS :  Qnap TS-932X-2G -> Noctua NF-P14s redux 1200 PWM -> Kingston 16GB 2400Mhz CL14 (HX424S14IB/16) -> 9 x Crucial MX500 2TB ->  2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT -> 2 x Digitus (DK-HD2533-05/3)

22 minutes ago, kokosnh said:

This can be quite mislieding as the SM951 MZHPVxxxHDGL-00000 SSD are the rare SATAexpress ones. It’s like the whole different breed, that is using AHCI protocol, but communicates through PCIe interface, like the NVMe SSD.
It will work on any other mobo that have PCIe on M.2, even if the mobo doesn't support normal AHCI SATA M.2 SSD. It can even work with old PC that don't support NVMe on PCIe adapter.

I've run both my AHCI SM951 PCIe 3.0 4x drive and standard PCIe 3.0 4x NVMe drives on my Z97 Impact. 

SAMSUNG SM951 M.2 2280 512GB PCI-Express 3.0 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZHPV512HDGL-00000 - Newegg.com

Generally required NVMe drivers anyways to work as an installation media for Windows back then, it wasn't a simple plug and play Windows install.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500