Corsair RM850e not going into Zero RPM mode?

Hello everyone, I am running into a strange issue. I upgraded my GPU to a 3080 TI and had to purchase a new PSU. I got the Corsair RM850e and on the back of the box it advertises zero-fan operation so long as less than 170 watts are being drawn. At idle though, the PSU fan still spins. Here is what is in my machine:

- R5 5600 with Noctua NH-U12S Redux fan (120mm)

- 3080 TI founders edition

- 2 basic NZXT fans running somewhere between 40-65%

- TP-Link wifi card

- ZERO RGB

According to the Nvdia performance overlay, my GPU is "sipping" about 30 watts at idle which I would imagine is the most power hungry thing given the 5600 has a TDP of 65W. I don't see what could be drawing enough power to justify the PSU fan kicking on unless the PSU is defective? The temperature in my room is about 75 F. Any advice?

Use HWinfo64 and check your system. it will give you a reading of all the hardware temps speed wattage etc. hitting 170watts is relatively easy especially if you have any background apps running etc.

However the fan is there to cool the PSU itself so if your airflow is restricted the PSU might simply be running the fan to keep itself cool.

EDIT I forgot to mention that even a simple motherboard will generally pull 80w of power and an Nvidia RTX 3060 can pull up to 170 watts whilst the idle power draw really can vary of course but I would be very surprised if the PSU is defective

• 3 months later...

Sorry I had to register because the comment above is so wrong. I have a similar issue, bought a corsair PSU and the ZeroRPM mode is not working (albeit different model, TX series). 

Reaching 170w with the above mentioned setup certainly needs some load on the system. The motherboard itself will never draw 80W, thats more than even a ryzen 5600X would draw out of the box and those need actual coolers, a motherboard doesn't even have active cooling. I have a 5600X and a 3080FE, they draw around 35-65W in idle or under relatively low use.