Best cooling configuration?

Vibora

I might be buying the lancool 3 and I plan to have a 360 radiator in the front, 3 in the upper, 2 in the bottom and 1 in the back, what would be the best setup?

Or I can go with the Phanteks g500a but it doesnt have a bottom intake so Im afraid it will run hotter possibly?

9 minutes ago, Vibora said:

I might be buying the lancool 3 and I plan to have a 360 radiator in the front, 3 in the upper, 2 in the bottom and 1 in the back, what would be the best setup?

Or I can go with the Phanteks g500a but it doesnt have a bottom intake so Im afraid it will run hotter possibly?

Radiator would be better on top so air can move unhindered from front to back

Bottom fans can help GPU temp a bit only, they're not really needed

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Just now, PDifolco said:

I see. Thanks for the info.

So you are saying if I want somewhat better GPU temps I should go with the lancool 3?

7 minutes ago, Vibora said:

I see. Thanks for the info.

So you are saying if I want somewhat better GPU temps I should go with the lancool 3?

Yes but the GPU cooler itself is way more important

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

20 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Yes but the GPU cooler itself is way more important

Of course.

So if I go with the lancool and the radiator is on the top, 3 front, 2 bottom and 1 in the back, what should be intake and what should be exhaust?

1 hour ago, Vibora said:

I would suggest that you experiment. Try the fans on top to exhaust and the AIO on the front as intake, with and without bottom fans as intake.  Then swap the AIO to the top as exhaust and top fans to the front as intake and try with and without the bottom fans as intake. Make sure to run something taxing to heat things up. Please let us know what happens. 

If you REALLY want to be thorough, when the AIO is in front. Mount it with the tubes exiting the bottom of the pump head and entering the top of the rad, and then reverse the positioning so the tubes exit the top of the pump head and enter the bottom of the rad.

If you have time, it's best to run each test until the temp in the liquid stabilizes. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

32 minutes ago, Vibora said:

Of course.

So if I go with the lancool and the radiator is on the top, 3 front, 2 bottom and 1 in the back, what should be intake and what should be exhaust?

Usual setup is Front and bottom intake, top and rear exhaust

5 hours ago, PDifolco said:

Usual setup is Front and bottom intake, top and rear exhaust

If I do a bottom intake, do I necessarily have to make my GPU vertical?

2 hours ago, Vibora said:

If I do a bottom intake, do I necessarily have to make my GPU vertical?

If your case will properly support it and give it enough breathing room, that is the best option. If not, then don't.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

2 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

If your case will properly support it and give it enough breathing room, that is the best option. If not, then don't.

I see the Lancool 3 does have a vertical gpu mount accessory. How can I know if there will be enough breathing room for the gpu?

22 minutes ago, Vibora said:

I see the Lancool 3 does have a vertical gpu mount accessory. How can I know if there will be enough breathing room for the gpu?

Check the clearance with the front. How many mm/cm?

image.png.19e91ad48be01fe804933bb1e61507f0.png

image.png.7081d08cbe804be73adbd100e4fd5a22.png

It definitely has plenty of space with the kit.

4 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

image.png.19e91ad48be01fe804933bb1e61507f0.png

image.png.7081d08cbe804be73adbd100e4fd5a22.png

It definitely has plenty of space with the kit.

I assume the 26mm clearence is when you have a 140mm fan on the rear? If so, is 26mm enough?

1 hour ago, Vibora said:

I assume the 26mm clearence is when you have a 140mm fan on the rear? If so, is 26mm enough?

All 3 are from the bottom of the GC support frame to the bottom of the case.

GIven the dimensions: (D) 526mm x (W) 238mm x (H) 523mm

image.png.c4dd39662a84814235c6c0e0362b748e.png

There is ample clearance above (need to look at cooler and other nearby parts' dimensions), below (highest position), in front of and behind. If you have to put the GC in the middle position, you can still use fans that are <=25mm. If you use the low position, you won't be able to mount any fans on the bottom. Sorry for being obvious.

I hope that helps.

15 hours ago, PDifolco said:

user inflicted higher temps 😉

37 minutes ago, NorKris said:

Huh?  I doubt it.  

14 minutes ago, Paul17 said:

Huh?  I doubt it.  

dont doubt, the numbers are out there 😛 

6 hours ago, NorKris said:

Can you elaborate please?

7 hours ago, NorKris said:

6 hours ago, Paul17 said:

Huh?  I doubt it.  

6 hours ago, NorKris said:

dont doubt, the numbers are out there 😛 

20 minutes ago, Vibora said:

In a different thread, someone brought up an MSI article that, while it had strange temps, demonstrated that the best configuration by over 3 degrees is with a front-mounted rad intaking air. Near the bottom, I explained the findings based on the image because the text is missing key facts that only exist in the images. For anyone who's been here long enough, you'll know that @NorKris and I frequently disagree, but this article and some videos demonstrate that he is correct. How big a difference does a rear exhaust fan make when you have a top mounted aio ? Don't get a big head over it, bucko. 😉

Keep in mind, of course, that different setups may require other configurations than what's presented in the article. In an iTX case, for example, there may be only ONE place to put a rad.

43 minutes ago, Vibora said:

its been tested by Jays, bitwit, casebycase (utuber) and MSI  that front intake is king.

GPU temps have been show'n to increase by 0-3c   (meaning that somtimes u dont get ANY more temps on ur gpu) 

@RevGAM as always yes? i mean thank u 😎😉

Sure front intake is fine but an AIO - and the best temps are top mounted with the tubes either at the front or back - theoretically, it didn't matter but the most common configuration - is the tubes at the front.   

Also, what one of you guys stated - that you sometimes only get one option for placement - yes, that's different.   The front is often the only placement option for a 360 or 420 (usually) because some cases are longer vertically than horizontally.   But, when the top is the option for a 360 AIO, it's often recommended to place it there for the lowest temps and the most practical location.   

Edit:  Okay, the cpu is said to run 3 degrees hotter - but the vrm of the mobo, gpu - will be cooler.  I would take that config.    The front fans can be intake and the rear fan - will be exhaust, top exhaust.   I believe that is assumed to be the best configuration for air flow/cooling.  There's an argument for the rad to be up top, also.  

6 minutes ago, Paul17 said:

Sure front intake is fine but an AIO - and the best temps are top mounted

this is just as factually wrong as the flat earth 

3 minutes ago, NorKris said:

this is just as factually wrong as the flat earth 

Not if you want the gpu with cooler temps as well as the motherboard vrms.  Anyway, you sound like a doofus.  

3 minutes ago, Paul17 said:

Not if you want the gpu with cooler temps 

True, by 0-1c in some cases,  and up to 3 in others. 

3 minutes ago, Paul17 said:

Anyway, you sound like a doofus.  

u might be on to somthing here😜.  but pc stuff.. iknow 

and if u ask any1, what is easier to cool,  the answer is GPU 

2 minutes ago, NorKris said:

True, by 0-1c in some cases,  and up to 3 in others. 

u might be on to somthing here😜.  but pc stuff.. iknow 

and if u ask any1, what is easier to cool,  the answer is GPU 

If you want to say I'm wrong, you don't have to be ...uh.... snarky. 🙂

I think mounting at the front is the only option, in most cases for a 420.  But, if you have a 360, why put it there?   Isn't it kind of inconvenient if you have a long gpu?   Maybe I'm 'flat earth wrong' but you have a thick rad and tubes down going to the cpu - but also a gpu that is potentially going to need that space?    I see pictures of a lot of video cards and the length ends at about the front fans or with only some clearance.   At least, up top - the rad is out of the way - providing you have room up there - the rads seem to be pretty thick these days 25-27" at least?   The tubes can be moved where needed and usually doesn't interfere with the gpu position.   

I bet it's easier to manage airflow with the AIO (in exhaust setup) up top as well but that's just a guess.