I Need help with choosing the right led strip lights

Pikaalexchu

Before you blow me off like some kind of low effort need help but don’t wanna look for it trust me I tried and I am more confused

Background: I am planning to replace my ceiling light fixture with a fan, I’ve found the fan lighting kinda just bad so I really want to avoid using that. Now that I need lighting for my room why not go for RGB strips! Well I found out quickly that rgb “white” is not good it’s quite bad actually. Now I am looking for something that can do the RGB, Have a good cri, and do color temperature control because I don’t want to be locked into one color temperature. I have looked into the option of doing separate rgb and white led lighting which I am totally fine with

What I am looking for:  I am looking for a decent RGB strip with white light that has color temperature control and a decent CRI that doesn’t cost too much. This can mean that I go with a separate RGB strip and white LED. Also I am looking for a good defuser/defusers to go with the leds and help choosing between 5v, 12v, 24v strips. (60 led per meter preferably)

(I will control this with an arduino if you are wondering)

I hope this is the right spot for this (I’m new to here) and thanks in advance I really appreciate the help

6 minutes ago, johnno23 said:

how about doing simple comes with strips you can cut to length and a controller and ability to use a phone app

https://www.amazon.com/Govee-Changing-Bluetooth-Multicolor-2x16-4ft/dp/B07XBSP6BJ/ref=asc_df_B07XBSP6BJ

Thanks for the fast and great response! Those govee ones look great but they don’t look to bright, I may use these for the rgb part but for the actual lighting of my room I’ll look for something brighter. Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

I can't help select specific LED strips for you, but I DID just complete an LED strip install in my daughters room this weekend, so I have some considerations to note. That said, I am NOT a subject matter expert in the area, just spent a few hours with the install and researching some different aspects of it.

• LED strips come in various flavors. Some will do RGB, and all 3 are lit to go white. There are also RGBW that has (as I understand it) an individual white LED in the package along with te RGB LEDs. 
  • There are individually addressable RGB strips where each LED can hold a different color, or  strips where everything is 1 color.
  • LED density, or the number of LEDs on the strip per foot or meter. In the diffuser, the lower the LED density the more you will be able to see each individual LED. The higher the density, it will look more like a uniform glow. 
  • LED Strip Channel and diffuser
    • U channel or V channel are most popular, available in black or aluminum finish on Amazon
    • Diffuser comes in milky white for the most part, but saw some with a darker almost black diffuser.
    • Will need a hacksaw and metal file to install, unless you luck out and you don' t have to make any cuts. That said it is VERY easy and quick.

This is the diffuser I went with. Was VERY easy to work with, but I did have some issues. Be VERY careful drilling the pilot holes for mounts if you do it close to a wall / ceiling border. I took out chunks of drywall with the drill in a few spots without noticing it. Use a thin piece of cardboard or something to prevent the drill from doing damage if it is close to the wall. I found that the diffuser was about an eighth inch shorter than the channel, and I was upset at first, then realized it was a non-issue. I HIGHLY suggest staggering the channel and diffuser joints like you would see in a brick wall where the edge of one brick is at the middle of the brick above it. I have a clown house where nothing is square and plumb, so there were small variations where the channel was off by a little bit. Not an issue if you use my recommendation, but if you line the edges it may appear uneven. If you have the joints in the diffuser in the middle of the channel pieces it can force the channel to appear to be straight, but that is assuming it install it level and well to begin with. Also, as a side note, I could NOT find any "OUTSIDE" corners  for the channel, only inside corners. If the room is a basic square or rectangle you won't have a problem.

THMOOTHER 20-Pack 3.3FT 1Meter V Shape LED Strip Aluminum Channel Diffuser System, Extruded Alu Track Milky Cover with Corner Connector and Mounting Kit,Easy Cut and Installed Curved Lens Profile

Good luck with your project!!

Gaming Rig - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (stock), ND-D15 Chromax Black, MSI Gaming Gaming X Trio RTX 3070, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32Gig (2 x 16G) DDR4 3600 (stock), Phanteks Eclipse P500A, 5x Noctua NF-P14 redux-1500, Seasonic FOCUS PX-850, Samsung 870 QVO 2TB (boot), 2x XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB NVMe (game libraries), 2x Seagate BarraCuda ST8000DM004 8TB (storage), 2x Dell (27") S2721DGF, 2x Asus (24") VP249QGR, Windows 10 Pro, SteelSeries Arctis 1 Wireless, Vive Pro 2, Valve Index

NAS /Plex Server - Supermicro SC826TQ-R800LPB (2U), X8DTN+, 2x E5620 (Stock), 72GB DDR3 ECC, 2x Samsung 860 EVO (500GB) (OS & Backup), 6x WD40EFRX (4TB) in RaidZ2, 2x WD 10TB white label (Easy Store shucks), 2x Q Series HDTS225XZSTA (256GB) ZIL & L2ARC mirrored, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Other Servers -2x Supermicro CSE-813M ABC-03 (1U), X9SCL, i3-2120 (stock), 8 Gigs DDR3, 4x Patriot Burst 120GB SSD (Raid10 OS array), Mushkin MKNSSDHL250GB-D8 NVMe (game drive), Ubuntu 20.04 LTS - RAID 10 failed after a power outage... dang.