i7 4790k overheating when gaming

My i7 4790k is overheating when playing Hogwarts Legacy. It goes to 100C and then my pc crashes.

What would be the best solution for stabilizing temperatures without buying a new cooler?

I have a stock cooler and i dont intend to get a better one as i never had this kind of problem before and would rather just buy new cpu, mobo, ram if nothing else can be done.

Thanks for help.

Make sure the current cooler is properly mounted and check whether thermal paste has dried out. Maybe clean the PC, might also be dust buildup.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 minute ago, sparkeeh said:

My i7 4790k is overheating when playing Hogwarts Legacy. It goes to 100C and then my pc crashes.

What would be the best solution for stabilizing temperatures without buying a new cooler?

I have a stock cooler and i dont intend to get a better one as i never had this kind of problem before and would rather just buy new cpu, mobo, ram if nothing else can be done.

Thanks for help.

Stock cooler on a 4790 since 10 years and no issues??? Did you use it ? 😂

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

6 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Make sure the current cooler is properly mounted and check whether thermal paste has dried out. Maybe clean the PC, might also be dust buildup.

Did that just last week, cleaned the whole pc, reaplied thermal paste and everything. Still not working.

6 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Stock cooler on a 4790 since 10 years and no issues??? Did you use it ? 😂

Basically everyday for the last 9 years. Never ever had a problem 😅

Just now, sparkeeh said:

Did that just last week, cleaned the whole pc, reaplied thermal paste and everything. Still not working.

If it started happening after reapplying thermal paste, my guess would be the cooler isn't mounted properly, e.g. too little pressure or too little/too much paste

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

10 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

If it started happening after reapplying thermal paste, my guess would be the cooler isn't mounted properly, e.g. too little pressure or too little/too much paste

It was happening before also, thats why i reapplied it thinking it would fix the issue.

Also this is not happening with every game i play.

How old is your os install? If you have just been doing inplace upgrades for 9 years without a fresh install then that is impressive in its own right. A fresh install or even switching to a lighter os such as ubuntu or pop os could help.

If this is a new game that is more CPU heavy then other games in your library then it may just be time for a cooler or platform upgrade. If you do get a cooler then make sure it has mounting hardware for whatever you get next.

I'm running the same cpu in my multimedia machine in the living room. Games are primarily streamed to it from my main machine through steam so it rarely gets pushed very hard. I do have a low profile noctua cooler on it for noise levels and the last time I did a deep clean with fresh paste was 2019. I'm planning on bringing it to the ltx wan and try de-lidding it just for fun. I currently have it pared with an rx470 that could also probably use a repasting.

All that being said I have been considering upgrading mine to a pre-built mini. You can get used dell or hp minis for just a couple hundred bucks on eBay now or the current mini forum stuff has integrated rdna3 gpus that would run circles around mine for $500-600.

9 minutes ago, CWALD said:

How old is your os install? If you have just been doing inplace upgrades for 9 years without a fresh install then that is impressive in its own right. A fresh install or even switching to a lighter os such as ubuntu or pop os could help.

If this is a new game that is more CPU heavy then other games in your library then it may just be time for a cooler or platform upgrade. If you do get a cooler then make sure it has mounting hardware for whatever you get next.

I'm running the same cpu in my multimedia machine in the living room. Games are primarily streamed to it from my main machine through steam so it rarely gets pushed very hard. I do have a low profile noctua cooler on it for noise levels and the last time I did a deep clean with fresh paste was 2019. I'm planning on bringing it to the ltx wan and try de-lidding it just for fun. I currently have it pared with an rx470 that could also probably use a repasting.

All that being said I have been considering upgrading mine to a pre-built mini. You can get used dell or hp minis for just a couple hundred bucks on eBay now or the current mini forum stuff has integrated rdna3 gpus that would run circles around mine for $500-600.

I actually did a fresh windows 10 install last week, as i have been running this pc on windows 7 for the last 9 years and needed the upgrade if i wanted to play the never games. Ever since i installed windows 10, nothing seems to be working as before unfortunately. On windows 7 i never had a single problem, now with windows 10 it seems it crashes all the time.

Well if nothing will work i will have to look for an upgrade, but dont want to do it yet, as i will be moving abroad for 6 months in september and it seems like a waste of money right now.

11 minutes ago, sparkeeh said:

I actually did a fresh windows 10 install last week, as i have been running this pc on windows 7 for the last 9 years and needed the upgrade if i wanted to play the never games. Ever since i installed windows 10, nothing seems to be working as before unfortunately. On windows 7 i never had a single problem, now with windows 10 it seems it crashes all the time.

Well if nothing will work i will have to look for an upgrade, but dont want to do it yet, as i will be moving abroad for 6 months in september and it seems like a waste of money right now.

yea, in that case I would try a Linux distro (I use pop os on mine). Proton has been able to get everything working to a playable state for me so far. The biggest thing it still struggles with is Anti-Cheat and Adobe products.

48 minutes ago, sparkeeh said:

It was happening before also, thats why i reapplied it thinking it would fix the issue.

Your cooler is just inadequate...get a $40ish mid range cooler and you'd be good 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Need a better cooler to overcome to very old and dried tim under the ihs. Or delid it and reapply or go lm. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz