Will My OEM Windows License Be Gone???

Go to solution Solved by Skipple,

Now-a-days Windows licence is tied to the hardware itself. You shouldn't have to know the licence, it will just activate.

Is there a reason you are wiping the drive rather than simply adding a new partition?

I want to install Ubuntu as the main OS on my laptop. This laptop came with an OEM Windows license. So my question is that by installing Ubuntu as a fresh OS, everything deleted, will the OEM key be still valid if I install Windows back on my laptop? This is very confusing and making me nervous about the OEM license key. 

So please explain this to me.

Now-a-days Windows licence is tied to the hardware itself. You shouldn't have to know the licence, it will just activate.

Is there a reason you are wiping the drive rather than simply adding a new partition?

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

2 minutes ago, Skipple said:

This should be true. If it makes you more comfortable you can run a power shell command to retrieve windows key to save.

3 minutes ago, Skipple said:

I prefer only having one os per drive as I have ran into complications when having different os on different partitions before.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

you will be fine as if you reinstall windows and login it will simply recognize the hardware. only time you need to actually be involved these days is if and when you make hardware changes and even then you can simply tick the box that hardware changes have been made.

The OEM license is embedded into your BIOS.  Try this:

From an admin Powershell prompt

wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey

That should show you the key.

I did a dual boot before with Windows 11 and Ubuntu but the startups were so bad, I have a 256 gb Samsung nvme ssd as a boot drive, before the dual boot startups were like 3-8 seconds long but after dual boot, they were like a minute long. I have some things to do on Ubuntu as a project in my university, and that's why I am doing this.

just want to point out if your laptop is over 11 years old, you may not have an embedded product key. While this is very unlikely, it is something i feel should be mentioned.