5800x3d cooling

ShaunH
Go to solution Solved by ShaunH,

So, embarrassing moment. I might've forgot to take the plastic cover off the heat sink. In Cinebench I get a 14200 score now, without PBO tuner. I reseated the heat sink the other way as well, no clue if its making a difference but it's working great now. I get to around 88c in Cinebench. The hot weather ain't helping either. I slapped 5 Artic P14s in as well (3 intakes, 2 exhausts) with one Arctic F14 as another exhaust (didn't have another fan), as I was still using my stock case fans which are about 6-7 years old. Idling around 35-40c which is much better now.

Thanks for the help everyone, I have 0 clue how to get it to run cooler than 88c but thats in Cinebench under load 4.2 on all cores. Doubt I'll ever need that in a game. 

Edit: With PBO2 applied (-30 all cores, 88, 60, 90) - I only reach 70c during Cinebench. Huge difference. 

Hey, bought a 5800x3d and am having some issues trying to keep it cool. It's maxing out at 90c instantly under most loads at 4ghz and on idle it's sitting around 50c. I've set a curve of -30 in PBO2 and the temps went down around 5c but will still max at 90c at around 4.1ghz. 

I think it might be an airflow issue? As I've read that the cooler I have should be enough. I have around £150 to spend on a cooler if I need a new one. I haven't checked the paste yet though. The weather is a bit warm recently, but not that hot. 2 intake fans on the front, 2 exhaust in the top and 1 in the back. Stock cooler master fans in the front and back with Arctic F14s in the top.

Thanks in advance.

Image of the case: 98c4a42bf5d5e360ecb520c63aed1d92.png

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/dhbxnt

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor  (£272.18 @ Amazon UK) 
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler  (£39.00 @ Computer Orbit) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For £0.00) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (£59.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 SATA Solid State Drive  (Purchased For £0.00) 
Storage: Crucial BX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For £0.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN570 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For £0.00) 
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For £0.00) 
Video Card: XFX Speedster MERC 319 Radeon RX 6950 XT 16 GB Video Card  (£588.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For £0.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (£147.94 @ Amazon UK) 
Wired Network Adapter: Intel E1G42ET 2 x Gigabit Ethernet PCIe x4 Network Adapter  (Purchased For £0.00) 
Monitor: LG 24GM79G-B 24.0" 1920 x 1080 144 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For £0.00) 

Unless it's thermal throttling 90°C is normal at full load with this CPU. 

You can run CB R23 and you should get roughly 14500 points+-

If you get way less than that then that's an issue

9 minutes ago, ShaunH said:

Hey, bought a 5800x3d and am having some issues trying to keep it cool. It's maxing out at 90c instantly under most loads at 4ghz and on idle it's sitting around 50c. I've set a curve of -30 in PBO2 and the temps went down around 5c but will still max at 90c at around 4.1ghz. 

I think it might be an airflow issue? As I've read that the cooler I have should be enough. I have around £150 to spend on a cooler if I need a new one. I haven't checked the paste yet though. The weather is a bit warm recently, but not that hot.

Thanks in advance.

Image of the case: 98c4a42bf5d5e360ecb520c63aed1d92.png

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/dhbxnt

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor  (£272.18 @ Amazon UK) 
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler  (£39.00 @ Computer Orbit) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For £0.00) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (£59.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 SATA Solid State Drive  (Purchased For £0.00) 
Storage: Crucial BX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For £0.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN570 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For £0.00) 
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For £0.00) 
Video Card: XFX Speedster MERC 319 Radeon RX 6950 XT 16 GB Video Card  (£588.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For £0.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (£147.94 @ Amazon UK) 
Wired Network Adapter: Intel E1G42ET 2 x Gigabit Ethernet PCIe x4 Network Adapter  (Purchased For £0.00) 
Monitor: LG 24GM79G-B 24.0" 1920 x 1080 144 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For £0.00) 

Unless they've recently added PBO support for the 5800x3D, it shouldn't support it. 5800x3D is a weird CPU since its comparably locked down to Intel's non-K series, where PBO isn't a feature until 7000x3D. My testing with the 5800x3D resulted in it hating any voltage offsets, so I just kept mine stock with DOCP set.

If you're not running stock, I'd recommend defaulting the UEFI except for your XMP/DOCP profile, then run cinebench r23 to get a score (noting specifically to close out background tasks since those can be in excess of -10%. Get a good baseline score to compare it to see if you're actually running into a thermal limit, otherwise 3D v-cache CPUs just run hotter because of thermodynamics.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

Unless it's thermal throttling 90°C is normal at full load with this CPU. 

You can run CB R23 and you should get roughly 14500 points+-

If you get way less than that then that's an issue

Yeah, its thermal throttling - I get 11.9k at stock, and 12.5k with the -30 curve in CB3

10 minutes ago, Agall said:

Unless they've recently added PBO support for the 5800x3D, it shouldn't support it. 5800x3D is a weird CPU since its comparably locked down to Intel's non-K series, where PBO isn't a feature until 7000x3D. My testing with the 5800x3D resulted in it hating any voltage offsets, so I just kept mine stock with DOCP set.

If you're not running stock, I'd recommend defaulting the UEFI except for your XMP/DOCP profile, then run cinebench r23 to get a score (noting specifically to close out background tasks since those can be in excess of -10%. Get a good baseline score to compare it to see if you're actually running into a thermal limit, otherwise 3D v-cache CPUs just run hotter because of thermodynamics.

I've read that 5800x3d works with it, and it seems like it does atleast. I'm currently running on default bios with XMP 3200 set for the ram. I'm hitting a thermal limit at around 4.1 ghz then it throttles to 3.7-3.8 ghz.

I'll run a CB3 in a bit, currently out to get some food. 

3 minutes ago, ShaunH said:

Yeah, its thermal throttling - I get 11.9k at stock, and 12.5k with the -30 curve in CB3

Well, unfortunately it is. 

That cooler should be enough in theory. 

It's possible it's not mounted well or there's not enough thermal paste. 

It's also possible the cold plate is missing the CPU die with most of its heat pipes as in Ryzen the CPU die is located near the bottom rather than middle

8 minutes ago, ShaunH said:

I've read that 5800x3d works with it, and it seems like it does atleast. I'm currently running on default bios with XMP 3200 set for the ram. I'm hitting a thermal limit at around 4.1 ghz then it throttles to 3.7-3.8 ghz

Thermal limit on the 5800x3d is 90C, which it should hit all core at ~4GHz. If you're getting comparable cinebench r23 scores to reviews online at about 14k, then you're fine. 5800x3D is really a 'set and forget' style CPU. People will try to tweak and min-max it and likely just cause instability/lower performance since it was genuinely not designed to be tweaked.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

1 hour ago, Agall said:

Thermal limit on the 5800x3d is 90C, which it should hit all core at ~4GHz. If you're getting comparable cinebench r23 scores to reviews online at about 14k, then you're fine. 5800x3D is really a 'set and forget' style CPU. People will try to tweak and min-max it and likely just cause instability/lower performance since it was genuinely not designed to be tweaked.

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

Well, unfortunately it is. 

That cooler should be enough in theory. 

It's possible it's not mounted well or there's not enough thermal paste. 

It's also possible the cold plate is missing the CPU die with most of its heat pipes as in Ryzen the CPU die is located near the bottom rather than middle

Here's my Cinebench results

95dc8a4b756f4c23acf3ce6181207b94.png

7 minutes ago, ShaunH said:

Here's my Cinebench results

95dc8a4b756f4c23acf3ce6181207b94.png

@Blqckqut Has been getting similar issues we've discussed over the last couple weeks. Might be worth looking into software components that may be inducing the problem, maybe even attempting to run different Windows Power Plans to include the 'power saving' one. 

Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

10 minutes ago, Agall said:

@Blqckqut Has been getting similar issues we've discussed over the last couple weeks. Might be worth looking into software components that may be inducing the problem, maybe even attempting to run different Windows Power Plans to include the 'power saving' one. 

Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options

Just tried running Power Saver, it reduces temps a ton - but reduces my fps to 20 on World of Warcraft and Diablo IV.

10 minutes ago, ShaunH said:

Just tried running Power Saver, it reduces temps a ton - but reduces my fps to 20 on World of Warcraft and Diablo IV.

WoW should get +60 fps in Valdrakken or w/e the city is called. I quit early into SL S4, but I did do testing across the world and especially raids/Oribos with the 5800x3D. My brother still plays and gets those sorts of framerates with my hammy down 5800x3D and RTX 3070.

It might be worth remounting your cooler if any. I ran mostly an NH-D15 when I ran mine (which is currently on my 7950x3D) but also as low as a hyper EVO 212 without a loss in performance, so either a mechanical issue, UEFI, or software issue is likely to blame. Seeing as this isn't a novel scenario, software might be the likely culprit.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

6 minutes ago, Agall said:

WoW should get +60 fps in Valdrakken or w/e the city is called. I quit early into SL S4, but I did do testing across the world and especially raids/Oribos with the 5800x3D. My brother still plays and gets those sorts of framerates with my hammy down 5800x3D and RTX 3070.

It might be worth remounting your cooler if any. I ran mostly an NH-D15 when I ran mine (which is currently on my 7950x3D) but also as low as a hyper EVO 212 without a loss in performance, so either a mechanical issue, UEFI, or software issue is likely to blame. Seeing as this isn't a novel scenario, software might be the likely culprit.

Only software I have is AMDs Adrenalin, and whatever the most recent chipset for the CPU. Also PBO2 but I can disable that. Any clue on what other software can interfere with it? I'll try remounting the cooler in a bit. UEFI is default so no clue what can interfere with that.

9 minutes ago, ShaunH said:

Only software I have is AMDs Adrenalin, and whatever the most recent chipset for the CPU. Also PBO2 but I can disable that.

I'd recommend checking Control Panel for what applications are installed. If you're using some of that cringe Overwolf or other stuff like Zygor or whatever a lot of people do in WoW now a days (I spent from 2015 till I quit only using Recount as an addon, so my opinion of any companion software is colored by that choice) that are ferocious background applications that are set to start on startup. I only know of them because I'd see them on my brother's PC whenever I'd do cleanups.

Slightly redacted example for security reasons.

image.thumb.png.b92414696230e9907a7428cbccb3726a.png

Its worth monitoring background application usage to try to get a clean cinebench run. If you go to Task Manager > startup, you can disable as many startup items as reasonable so that after a restart, you can do a clean cinebench run.

Otherwise, its worth potentially uninstalling the most recent Windows updates.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

7 minutes ago, Agall said:

I'd recommend checking Control Panel for what applications are installed. If you're using some of that cringe Overwolf or other stuff like Zygor or whatever a lot of people do in WoW now a days (I spent from 2015 till I quit only using Recount as an addon) that are ferocious background applications that are set to start on startup. I only know of them because I'd see them on my brother's PC whenever I'd do cleanups.

Slightly redacted example for security reasons.

image.thumb.png.b92414696230e9907a7428cbccb3726a.png

I do have Overwolf, but it never opens as I used to use it for league of legends. Not anymore, only addons I use are through Curse Forge. That's only for WoW though, I still have issues in other games like Diablo 4, League of Legends, Elden Ring etc.  

I'm gunna say it's probably Airflow in my case, or badly placed Thermal paste. I'll get around to checking that in a bit. Will check back when done. If all else fails I'll reinstall windows. This upgrade I used DDU and just replaced my old chipset.

31 minutes ago, ShaunH said:

I'm gunna say it's probably Airflow in my case, or badly placed Thermal paste. I'll get around to checking that in a bit.

I know its mainly Founders Edition top-down airflow issue, but LTT got better temps by flipping the heatsink orientation. But of course make sure that the exhaust of the fan is still pointing to the back. 

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 hour ago, SorryClaire said:

I know its mainly Founders Edition top-down airflow issue, but LTT got better temps by flipping the heatsink orientation. But of course make sure that the exhaust of the fan is still pointing to the back. 

I can try this tomorrow, planning on reseating the cooler while also reapplying the thermal paste. Though, according to what was said above wouldn't that be bad as the CPU die is located near the bottom instead of the middle?

Rumour has it that the newer 58X3D are not as good as the launch ones. Best cores are headed back out to the server side.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

Decided to reinstall Windows before checking the thermal paste, my idle temps went down to around 40-45c from 50-55c. Big improvement, though even just using Chrome my temps can sometimes just shoot up to 70c. I ran cinebench, got a score of 13,335 where my old ones were around 11,775-12,519. This is with a curve of -30 on all cores. It still thermal throttled itself down to 3.9 Ghz. Decided to run a Prime95 stress test for about 5 minutes, hit 90c but it sat around 4.1 Ghz on all cores. Just wondering whether I should reseat the cooler still, maybe even flip it like the video showed. Just want to stop it from hitting 90c really, I dont like the thought of it being at 90c for extended periods of time. I've noticed there is a little scratch on the mobo. I assume its from when I was trying to get the GPU out, the clip on mine was stuck so I used a screwdriver.

Image : 48da5505ed00a96f397987e164e62786.jpg

Not sure whether that's causing an issue, some googling says no - and some say yes.

17 hours ago, ShaunH said:

I can try this tomorrow, planning on reseating the cooler while also reapplying the thermal paste. Though, according to what was said above wouldn't that be bad as the CPU die is located near the bottom instead of the middle?

No that shouldn't affect it, actually it should help. And in the vid it was seen to be 10 degrees better

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

13 minutes ago, filpo said:

No that shouldn't affect it, actually it should help. And in the vid it was seen to be 10 degrees better

Alright, I'll go ahead and try it out now and see if it helps.

53 minutes ago, ShaunH said:

Not sure whether that's causing an issue, some googling says no - and some say yes.

Unless you can see that it cut through circuits or something, I doubt it. The picture is dark so maybe there's something there I can't see?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

4 hours ago, RevGAM said:

Unless you can see that it cut through circuits or something, I doubt it. The picture is dark so maybe there's something there I can't see?

Will be reseating the cooler in a bit so can check then. Just have no clearance to see it clearly at the moment.

Edit: Reseating it tomorrow, had something come up.

So, embarrassing moment. I might've forgot to take the plastic cover off the heat sink. In Cinebench I get a 14200 score now, without PBO tuner. I reseated the heat sink the other way as well, no clue if its making a difference but it's working great now. I get to around 88c in Cinebench. The hot weather ain't helping either. I slapped 5 Artic P14s in as well (3 intakes, 2 exhausts) with one Arctic F14 as another exhaust (didn't have another fan), as I was still using my stock case fans which are about 6-7 years old. Idling around 35-40c which is much better now.

Thanks for the help everyone, I have 0 clue how to get it to run cooler than 88c but thats in Cinebench under load 4.2 on all cores. Doubt I'll ever need that in a game. 

Edit: With PBO2 applied (-30 all cores, 88, 60, 90) - I only reach 70c during Cinebench. Huge difference. 

Hello. I'm cooling my 5800x3D with the newly released Deepcool Assassin IV. Before that I used an eSport 34 Duo. 

The Assassin manages to keep it sub 90 even on Cinebench (at no PBO2 Setting)

During gameplay there is 10-13 C° difference between the two coolers. 

The Assassin Performance is akin to a 240mm AIO (or even some 280mm)

34v4.jpg

Thanks for sharing! It's this the same thing that you posted a few weeks ago?

Be warned that some forums don't allow self-promotion like this, unless you're sharing your work because it's directly related to what the OP needs help with. LTT is, I believe, in that category. I think it's OK to list your YT channel in your profile, but you should check the rules or ask a mod. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂