Windows 11 Update Gone Wrong - RESOLVED

Mixstar350

Hello LTT forum, 

Yesterday I decided to (in that order) switch to w11 and clean my SSDs, and it seems I’ve ended up in a OS purgatory. 

I cannot login to my account by normal means (user profile cannot be loaded, there is only one profile), and the only way I can access windows is by going into safe mode and pressing ctrl+alt+del while “logging in” 

More than that, a lot of OS is just missing, the task bar doesn't work, a lot of the files from my old account are still there and applications that I can access are

Microsoft edge

Bin 

File explorer 

I tried going into registry and changing binary values for user account and nothing helped. I later (managed incredibly after a lot of struggle) to get a windows UEFI on a USB with a help of a program (beginning with r) as well as CMD. however I cannot set it up since my windows is in safe mode.

I do not have a backed up OS, this is my only windows machine in the house, reverting to factory settings doesn’t do anything (as I was doing it the very first time it loaded to 60% after which it abruptly ended and showed me a windows screen) The internet somehow works.

Did anyone encounter a similar problem and could help me with it. Much obliged 

Edit: I have no idea really what I've done to make it work so I will make a list of what I've done:

- Did some registry editing for running Windows updater, and accounts  in registries 

- Created another admin accounts with CMD; this locked me out of other accounts and created a password by itself 

- Reset the windows by 1. Keep files 2. Local 3. (something about removing not all files)  

- THIS STILL REMOVED ALL OF THE FILES AND PROGRAMS AND ONLY SOME SHORTCUTS REMAINED (obs. directories missing) AND SOME OLD FOLDERS WITH NO FILES 

I have no idea what fixed it (still haven't completely turned off the PC just reset it and seems to work), I hope this helps someone in the future. 

Edited by Mixstar350
resolved

Get Windows Media Creation tool and a pendrive create bootable drive with it and reinstall/refresh your win installation.

R9 5900X, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240, Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2, 2x16GB Kingston FuryX 3800MHZ CL18 Hynix DJR "Tuned" , Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC, Windows 11

3 minutes ago, KnoT said:

Get Windows Media Creation tool and a pendrive create bootable drive with it and reinstall/refresh your win installation.

I’ve tried that alredy, I get an error 0x8007043C - 0x90018. Tired tweaking registries for that too and didn’t help 

3 hours ago, Mixstar350 said:

I’ve tried that alredy, I get an error 0x8007043C - 0x90018. Tired tweaking registries for that too and didn’t help 

remember to disable antivirus when creating a boot USB..

That error is a download failed error.

My advice is to get your hands on another windows machine for the media creation. Once you have the usb made, you should be in business.