Converting HPE Proliant ML30 to regular PC, is it possible?

Hello!

I'm new here so I apologize if I mess anything up. I work for a small mom & pop pharmacy and was helping them clean out some old tech they were storing away for I'm not sure what. They told me I could bring home their old ML30 Gen 9 server as long as I pulled the hard drives because they have to be destroyed due to HIPPA. I gutted the RAM in it to add more ram to the server they are currently using. So now I have the tower itself with no RAM and no Hard drives. 

What I am wondering is if I put the hard drive from my current PC and buy regular RAM will it work? Or do I have to have server grade since it's not being used for one?

37 minutes ago, ratchell88 said:

What I am wondering is if I put the hard drive from my current PC and buy regular RAM will it work?

I recommend getting a cheap SSD instead, but yes there's no reason it shouldn't work

38 minutes ago, ratchell88 said:

Or do I have to have server grade since it's not being used for one?

Nope! Regular desktop parts work just fine. You just can't mix desktop and server RAM.

Looks like you'll also need to add a sound card if it doesn't already have one. 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Thanks! I will eventually upgrade to a SSD. Right now the desktop that I’m running is old enough to have an athlon II in it and ddr2 ram so progress is progress. The drives that came out of it were hdd so I figure it will work until I can get the new drive 🙂

I knew from what I read that I couldn’t mix the 2 types of ram but nothing said I could use whichever on I wanted just to go by machine specs. I was so lost lol. 

you’ve been a huge help! Thanks a bunch