Laptop fan making buzzing noise : what do you think that can be ? (Audio of the noise linked)

turbobato

Hi everyone, don't know if it's the right place to ask this question but I've had this Lenovo legion 5 for 2 years and the left fan (above the GPU but I don't think that matters since the fans are linked by the heat sink and are on/off at the same time) started recently making a subtle buzzing noise that the right one is not doing. 

Here is a vocaroo of the noise, put the volume to maximum in order to hear it https://voca.ro/1n31xjliFR0r

Please note that the volume of the noise stays constant no matter how the RPM are high, but it goes away completely when the fan is off.

So I'm wondering if any of you has an idea of what can cause this sound. I thought about faulty fan bearing but wouldn't be 2 years very early for the bearing to start dying ? I also thought about the fan wiggling and hitting it's case but it should probably make more noise, and the noise should probably increase when the fan goes faster ? Anyway, let me know what you think it can be, and if I should worry and/or if I can do something about it.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by turbobato
Mistake + clearer title

There could just be some debris in there. Try blowing it out (in both directions) with a duster can or compressed air.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

I already tried blowing air with a can of compressed air, some dust went out, I then opened the case just to see and there was no debris, the blades were super clean (no agglomeration of dust or anything like that)

Sounds like a "bad" fan. Not dysfunctional just annoy. 2 years sounds not abnormal.

It is probably quite normal for something like that to happen, and recently an acquitance had just replaced one of the fans in his gaming laptop which fixed noise. 

If you can't fix it by through cleaning of the fan, probably time to buy replacement. I've had 1 case of cleaning macbook pro fan extremely throughly and fixed noise.

You might also try your luck with Lenovo support, but I find laptop support nowdays not that useful.

What do you mean by "bad" ? Like the bearing just worn out quicker than the other fans ?

Lenovo support is not great in France I think, plus I opened the laptop a few times and broke some of the clips of the case so probably voided the warranty. Might just stick with the noisy fan if the noise stays that subtle, I just would like to diagnose it before to know if there is a quick and easy fix (i.e not implying the remplacement of the fan)

On 6/8/2023 at 12:34 PM, turbobato said:

Hi everyone, don't know if it's the right place to ask this question but I've had this Lenovo legion 5 for 2 years and the left fan (above the GPU but I don't think that matters since the fans are linked by the heat sink and are on/off at the same time) started recently making a subtle buzzing noise that the right one is not doing. 

Here is a vocaroo of the noise, put the volume to maximum in order to hear it https://voca.ro/1n31xjliFR0r

Please note that the volume of the noise stays constant no matter how the RPM are high, but it goes away completely when the fan is off.

So I'm wondering if any of you has an idea of what can cause this sound. I thought about faulty fan bearing but wouldn't be 2 years very early for the bearing to start dying ? I also thought about the fan wiggling and hitting it's case but it should probably make more noise, and the noise should probably increase when the fan goes faster ? Anyway, let me know what you think it can be, and if I should worry and/or if I can do something about it.

Thanks in advance!

It's not that bad but there aren't many things that can go wrong with a fan, so maybe the bearings. What is the fan and/or bearing type?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

3 hours ago, RevGAM said:

It's not that bad but there aren't many things that can go wrong with a fan, so maybe the bearings. What is the fan and/or bearing type?

I looked it up on lenovo's website, my model is Lenovo Legion 15ACH6H type 82JU, unfortunately depending on the laptop the thermal module is not the same. Anyway, it looks like my fans are of the same kind as one of those two (pictures below). On one, it is stated 'hydrolic bearing', I don't know if that helps you.

Screenshot_20230611_180615_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230611_180457_Chrome.jpg

I couldn't find anything on that Delta. I don't recognize the other brand. 

Hydraulic bearings are better than sleeve and rifle,  as I recall, but if they're poorly made it doesn't matter. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

3 hours ago, RevGAM said:

I couldn't find anything on that Delta. I don't recognize the other brand. 

Hydraulic bearings are better than sleeve and rifle,  as I recall, but if they're poorly made it doesn't matter. 

And so, what does it mean for me ? Do I have to replace the fan ASAP because the bearing will get worn out much quicker from now on, or can I keep the fan and maybe the noise will stabilise because the bearing just suffers minimal damage ?

52 minutes ago, turbobato said:

And so, what does it mean for me ? Do I have to replace the fan ASAP because the bearing will get worn out much quicker from now on, or can I keep the fan and maybe the noise will stabilise because the bearing just suffers minimal damage ?

There is no way to know for sure. If you're worried, replace the fan; otherwise, wait till it's too noisy or dies.

16 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

There is no way to know for sure. If you're worried, replace the fan; otherwise, wait till it's too noisy or dies.

I'll make a warranty claim to see if Lenovo can do something, because from what I've seen it's a bit painful to replace the fans, and it they don't offer to repair it I'll wait.

Do you think it is possible the bearing is bad from the start and that I just noticed the noise recently ? (Because it's very subtle, and I only hear it when positioned at a certain angle)

Anyway, thanks a lot for your insights

2 hours ago, turbobato said:

I'll make a warranty claim to see if Lenovo can do something, because from what I've seen it's a bit painful to replace the fans, and it they don't offer to repair it I'll wait.

Do you think it is possible the bearing is bad from the start and that I just noticed the noise recently ? (Because it's very subtle, and I only hear it when positioned at a certain angle)

Anyway, thanks a lot for your insights

Well, it's either/or. Either it was bad from the start (doubtful), or the bearing wore down quickly. If it's quiet, just try the warranty angle like you said.

7 hours ago, RevGAM said:

Well, it's either/or. Either it was bad from the start (doubtful), or the bearing wore down quickly. If it's quiet, just try the warranty angle like you said.

Alright, thanks a lot for everything!

• 5 months later...

Necromancy isn't allowed. 😉 

TOO LATE! THE CYBERZOMBIES ARE RISING! RUN!!!!

LOL!