Steam Deck Whale LAN

Thesp33dy905

Any Whale LAN users planning to use their Steam Deck as their main PC during the event?

What monitor would you guys bring to the LAN event?

I'm coming from Toronto so there's no way I'd ship my Gaming PC just for half a day worth of use, and I don't have a gaming laptop, which is why I rely on my Steam Deck for portable gaming.

Isnt the point of the Whale-LAN-Ticket that you get tons of stuff like Monitor,PC etc. included in the price?

20 minutes ago, Angusticlavii said:

Isnt the point of the Whale-LAN-Ticket that you get tons of stuff like Monitor,PC etc. included in the price?

You're provided a space and a basic chair. 

https://www.ltxexpo.com/byoc

I think you're confusing that with the Whale VIP package ticket for $10000. (Which seem to be sold out LOL)

Some slim, small bezel 22" monitors (and especially 20" ones) can fit into a carry-on size backpack if you remove the stand. The 20" ones tend to be slightly lower than 1080p, like 1600x900, which might be a good thing for the steam deck.

I personally went with the Viotek 22", as it's one of the few cheap 144hz displays I could find that fits in a carry-on backpack. Fiodio makes a very similar one. Availability for either seems limited in Canada though. 

Otherwise, steam deck users often use "portable monitors" which are basically 15-17" laptop displays in portable folios that just prop up on a table. Those are typically $50 to $80 for the basic 1080p 60hz models. Some of the better ones use a 16" "2.5k" 2520x1680 panel, with suspicions that it's the same panel that used to be in an older MacBook model. 

NGL, wondering how many LTX attendees I can spot taking the Friday 9:00am flight out of Pearson that day. 😛

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

35 minutes ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

NGL, wondering how many LTX attendees I can spot taking the Friday 9:00am flight out of Pearson that day. 😛

I'm flying out the day before lol with 2 of my buddies to explore Vancouver.

1 hour ago, AnomalyDesign said:

Some slim, small bezel 22" monitors (and especially 20" ones) can fit into a carry-on size backpack if you remove the stand. The 20" ones tend to be slightly lower than 1080p, like 1600x900, which might be a good thing for the steam deck.

I personally went with the Viotek 22", as it's one of the few cheap 144hz displays I could find that fits in a carry-on backpack. Fiodio makes a very similar one. Availability for either seems limited in Canada though. 

Otherwise, steam deck users often use "portable monitors" which are basically 15-17" laptop displays in portable folios that just prop up on a table. Those are typically $50 to $80 for the basic 1080p 60hz models. Some of the better ones use a 16" "2.5k" 2520x1680 panel, with suspicions that it's the same panel that used to be in an older MacBook model. 

I was thinking of getting this Viewsonic Portable Monitor. I can most likely find a cheaper alternative, however for a permanent portable monitor that'll practically fit in my LTT backpack, i feel like this might be a good investment, but then again, a cheaper portable monitor would probably make more sense, if it'll be used like 2-3 times max per year. 

3 hours ago, Thesp33dy905 said:

I was thinking of getting this Viewsonic Portable Monitor. I can most likely find a cheaper alternative, however for a permanent portable monitor that'll practically fit in my LTT backpack, i feel like this might be a good investment, but then again, a cheaper portable monitor would probably make more sense, if it'll be used like 2-3 times max per year. 

UPerfect seems to sell B-stock of their 120hz QHD IPS ones on ebay.ca . That's probably the way I'd go, and see how much you end up using it, what features you do/don't want. I'm hoping more OLED options appear soon, as more laptops are using those panels now. https://www.ebay.ca/itm/314433281312

I am in almost the exact same boat, I bought a Steam Deck for LTX as I found that it seemed to be the most cost effective option for this.

I found the Arzopa G1 on Amazon warehouse for cheap and have been using it with my Deck since I got it. No issues so far.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0B2PN9215?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Have you tried restarting it?

Just now, Esemes16 said:

I am in almost the exact same boat, I bought a Steam Deck for LTX as I found that it seemed to be the most cost effective option for this.

I found the Arzopa G1 on Amazon warehouse for cheap and have been using it with my Deck since I got it. No issues so far.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0B2PN9215?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I paid $270, I just noticed its on for $199. Thats a killer deal based on what I paid!

Have you tried restarting it?

I'm either using a Steam Deck or an Ally depending on performance difference. I want to use both in person before deciding if they Ally is worth it.

For monitors I'm either buying a 17in portable monitor or possibly the nreal air AR glasses

I'm just taking the 22in in my server rack with a mini-itx build and sticking it in a carry-on. Not a steam deck but still a Linux gamer 😛 

If you want a cheap & packable external, I've had a good experience with the "NIUTO Portable Monitor for Laptop 15.6 inch". $100 USD. It's got a plastic folding stand but is powered off of USB-C and is very small/thin. The only downside is it's Mini-HDMI rather than a full-sized port. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/6/2023 at 6:26 AM, Angusticlavii said:

Nope, they do not even provide the ethernet cable.