LTT Store Backpack in a plane + General travel tips needed

Larax22

Hi, I have a question about flying with the backpack. Does it count as a carry-on bag or a "personal item" when you fly? These are their official guidelines according to which the backpack can't be a "personal item." But I've also heard they don't really enforce those rules heavily. I know Linus said you can just store it under the seat in front of you so I suppose he flew with it as a "personal item?" Also, how does that change when you sit right by the exit and don't have a seat in front of you? (Would you even recommend those seats? I heard they have extra  leg room so that's nice)

I will be flying from Europe to the US soon and I haven't really flown before, not that far anyway, so I want to make sure I am prepared and know what I need to know. So I'd also appreciate any other general travel tips you might have.

It'll be carry-on. The additional "personal item" is typically limited to thin "laptop bag" size or something you bought at the airport.

From that page:

image.png.eddfa5ce05a02a9ea0cf4d4e5a6f993b.png

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

4 hours ago, Larax22 said:

Hi, I have a question about flying with the backpack. Does it count as a carry-on bag or a "personal item" when you fly? These are their official guidelines according to which the backpack can't be a "personal item." But I've also heard they don't really enforce those rules heavily. I know Linus said you can just store it under the seat in front of you so I suppose he flew with it as a "personal item?" Also, how does that change when you sit right by the exit and don't have a seat in front of you? (Would you even recommend those seats? I heard they have extra  leg room so that's nice)

I will be flying from Europe to the US soon and I haven't really flown before, not that far anyway, so I want to make sure I am prepared and know what I need to know. So I'd also appreciate any other general travel tips you might have.

From experience, if you have a ton of stuff in it and it's extremely heavy, it's going to be an absolute pain getting it under the plane seat. You'll have to get it in the seat next to you, then jam it over to your seat, then it'll take a bit to get it under the seat. I had to use all my strength to jam it under the seat. It was quite the time. So lesson learned, don't over pack it. But I'm sure it'll be a lot easier if it's not stuffed to the brim. This was on international flights, along with domestic flights in Europe and domestic flights in the US for me.

It'll be a carry-on item, if it doesn't fit under the seat, or you can put it in the over head bins.

6 hours ago, deathrow said:

From experience, if you have a ton of stuff in it and it's extremely heavy, it's going to be an absolute pain getting it under the plane seat. You'll have to get it in the seat next to you, then jam it over to your seat, then it'll take a bit to get it under the seat. I had to use all my strength to jam it under the seat. It was quite the time. So lesson learned, don't over pack it. But I'm sure it'll be a lot easier if it's not stuffed to the brim. This was on international flights, along with domestic flights in Europe and domestic flights in the US for me.

So you did fly with it as a "personal item?" - It wasn't a carry-on? (As long as it fits under the seat) - I will be sitting in the exit row so I think I might need to put it into the overhead bin regardless?

6 hours ago, deathrow said:

It'll be a carry-on item, if it doesn't fit under the seat, or you can put it in the over head bins.

I'll be careful to not overpack it, thanks.