Should I get a VPN?

As far as I know a VPN basically routs your data through the VPN's server and then ur ISP, instead of straight to your ISP. But what does that actually do? Can my ISP still see what websites I've visited or what I've downloaded? Can the VPN? What are the pro's con's of a vpn that I should consider?

You wont be safe, the only thing it's good at is getting around ISP or regionally imposed restrictions. When it comes to actual security, it wont do you much good and all the ads are lying to you.

If you don't really know why you'd need a VPN, you probably don't need one.

As to how it works:
Your network traffic still goes to your ISP the same way, because that's the only physical connection you have. But instead of going out into the web, you have a (hopefully secure, meaning everything you send is encrypted) connection with another server. If I was your VPN provider, you'd basically send all of your traffic to me. I'd unpack all of it and then let it exit my network, as if it came from a computer from my network.

If you wanted to watch a youtube video, youtube would send that video to me, I'd pack it up again and send it along to you. You notice that I can potentially do whatever with your data in this scenario. Normally this doesn't matter, because if you use HTTPS, your traffic is also encrypted, so I can't see the data you send/receive. But I still know who you are talking to.

The most useful thing to use a VPN for, is to set one up at home. That way you have access to all your local resources like PCs/NAS/Smarthome appliances without exposing them to the internet.

8 minutes ago, adm0n said:

If you don't really know why you'd need a VPN, you probably don't need one.

As to how it works:
Your network traffic still goes to your ISP the same way, because that's the only physical connection you have. But instead of going out into the web, you have a (hopefully secure, meaning everything you send is encrypted) connection with another server. If I was your VPN provider, you'd basically send all of your traffic to me. I'd unpack all of it and then let it exit my network, as if it came from a computer from my network.

If you wanted to watch a youtube video, youtube would send that video to me, I'd pack it up again and send it along to you. You notice that I can potentially do whatever with your data in this scenario. Normally this doesn't matter, because if you use HTTPS, your traffic is also encrypted, so I can't see the data you send/receive. But I still know who you are talking to.

The most useful thing to use a VPN for, is to set one up at home. That way you have access to all your local resources like PCs/NAS/Smarthome appliances without exposing them to the internet.

Thank you very much for the (very clear btw) explanation

40 minutes ago, Mangrovius said:

As far as I know a VPN basically routs your data through the VPN's server and then ur ISP, instead of straight to your ISP. But what does that actually do? Can my ISP still see what websites I've visited or what I've downloaded? Can the VPN? What are the pro's con's of a vpn that I should consider?

It basically hides where you're browsing from, interest depends on the country you're in and the restrictions it forces..

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 hour ago, Mangrovius said:

Practically speaking, a VPN is just a proxy with encryption. Its got its uses but unless you're trying to hide from your ISP/government things they don't want you to access, then its really just picking who gets your data. 

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017