Endorfy Supremo FM5 Gold 850W not turning on, makes weird click noise

MisterJW
Go to solution Solved by Whatisthis,

The click in a psu sometimes means there is a protection circuit that is getting tripped. Since it’s not working, I assume that is what’s happening. 

Unplug all the cables from the unit except the atx connector. Short pins 4 and 5 with a paper clip. This will turn the unit on. If it clicks and you don’t get any signs of life, it’s bad. 

here is some pics of the process: https://www.silverstonetek.com/upload/downloads/QA/PSU/PSU-Paper Clip-EN.pdf

sometimes the cables are bad and cause the issue, so plug in all the cables you will use into the psu (not into components) and try the paper clip again if it started with just the atx connected.

Hi, I bought new power supply - Endorfy Supremo FM5 Gold 850W, cause I have new hardware that needs more power. However when I press the power button the power supply makes click sound (video below), rest of the pc remains powered off. I thought I broken something when I moved components to the new case, but later I reconnect old power supply and everything worked.

Can someone please tell me what is going on? 

I striped everything down to bare minimum to better throubleshoot. 

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

CPU: I7-5820K

Old GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4G

New GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 TI gaming OC

Old power supply: Cooler Master RS-650-AMAA-B1

The PC was build around 8 years ago. 

Videos of setup:

Cooler Master Power Supply - working PC (YT)

Endorfy Power Supply - PC not working (YT)

50 minutes ago, MisterJW said:

Hi, I bought new power supply - Endorfy Supremo FM5 Gold 850W, cause I have new hardware that needs more power. However when I press the power button the power supply makes click sound (video below), rest of the pc remains powered off. I thought I broken something when I moved components to the new case, but later I reconnect old power supply and everything worked.

Can someone please tell me what is going on? 

I striped everything down to bare minimum to better throubleshoot. 

Motherboard: X99 Extreme 4

CPU: Old I7 

Old power supply: Cooler Master RS-650-AMAA-B1

The PC was build around 8 years ago. 

Cooler Master Power Supply - working PC (YT)

Endorfy Power Supply - PC not working (YT)

A quite incomplete build list.  There’s no gpu there and the only reason to get a big PSU like that is a big GPU.  I’ve never heard of the brand, so for me at least it’s no-name.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

A quite incomplete build list.  There’s no gpu there and the only reason to get a big PSU like that is a big GPU.  I’ve never heard of the brand, so for me at least it’s no-name.

Sorry, here is full list of relevant parts:

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

CPU: I7-5820K

Old GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4G

New GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 TI gaming OC

Old power supply: Cooler Master RS-650-AMAA-B1

New power supply: Endorfy Supremo FM5 Gold 850W

I know that empty motherboard with just CPU is enough to test wheter power supply works as shown in linked videos. I thought that some other part might cause a short circuit so I striped everything down to bare minimum. 

I bought this power supply cause it was mutch cheaper than other established brands and had many good reviews. 

It's my dad's gaming PC, I like to give him new parts so he can play modern games. In the future I want to put there RTX 3090 TI from my workstation. That's why I've got bigger power supply. I suppose that my CPU will be a bottleneck, but upgrading whole PC is out of my budget.

The click in a psu sometimes means there is a protection circuit that is getting tripped. Since it’s not working, I assume that is what’s happening. 

Unplug all the cables from the unit except the atx connector. Short pins 4 and 5 with a paper clip. This will turn the unit on. If it clicks and you don’t get any signs of life, it’s bad. 

here is some pics of the process: https://www.silverstonetek.com/upload/downloads/QA/PSU/PSU-Paper Clip-EN.pdf

sometimes the cables are bad and cause the issue, so plug in all the cables you will use into the psu (not into components) and try the paper clip again if it started with just the atx connected.

1 hour ago, MisterJW said:

It's my dad's gaming PC, I like to give him new parts so he can play modern games. In the future I want to put there RTX 3090 TI from my workstation. That's why I've got bigger power supply. I suppose that my CPU will be a bottleneck, but upgrading whole PC is out of my budget.

He should be able to play modern games with that thing.  It’s 6/12 with enough ghz.  A 2080ti should be just fine.  Thing shouldn’t be a heckuva lot slower than a 12400 with a 4060. It should be totally good.   Assuming he’s got more than 8gb of memory.  The only thing that would have maybe had problems was that 970.  While they technically have 4gb of memory, only 3.5gb is really accessible easily.  I had one of those and had an issue with breathedge.  It was fixed with a special lower requirement version of the game, but the thing can’t really push 1080p anymore.  A 2080 would fix that right up.  As it sits it should be just fine till the very ragged end of the ps5/XboxX  which it is not even near yet.  I wouldnt even consider replacing it at this point till the PS6 is announced with whatever it will have. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

24 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

This.  If you’ve got a multimeter laying around it wouldn’t hurt to theck the voltages either. They should be steady within 5% either side of spec.  If that checks out someone may have sold you a bum 2080ti that would be the next thing to check the abilities of.  The only other thing I can think of that might be wrong is a short on the motherboard.  If that is the case it’s gonna be bad. Those x99s are hell to replace to the point of maybe dong that 12400 with an lga1700 ddr4 board instead.  Might be cheaper. 

Edited by Bombastinator

18 hours ago, Whatisthis said:

I did as you said. The PSU made same sound as in the video.

I checked 24 pin connector wit a multimetr according to this diagram:
atx 24 pin

Source: https://bardimin.com/en/hardware-en/24-pinout-voltage-at-atx-power-supply-to-the-motherboard/

Everything shown 0V in relation to ground, after the "Jump Start".

18 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

This.  If you’ve got a multimeter laying around it wouldn’t hurt to theck the voltages either. They should be steady within 5% either side of spec.  If that checks out someone may have sold you a bum 2080ti that would be the next thing to check the abilities of.  The only other thing I can think of that might be wrong is a short on the motherboard.  If that is the case it’s gonna be bad. Those x99s are hell to replace to the point of maybe dong that 12400 with an lga1700 ddr4 board instead.  Might be cheaper. 

I bought all cards brand new, the 100% work.

• 1 month later...

Something must have been really bad, because they returned me money on just warranty. Thank you all for help.