I currently have a 2 year old build, with the following specs

CPU: Intel i5 2500 3.3 GHz overclocked to 3.8 GHz

GPU: EVGA GTX 660 superclocked 2 GB

SSD: 128 GB Adata 

HDD: 2 TB Western Digital

PSU: 630 Watt Rosewill

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V-LK LGA 1155

RAM: 2 x 4 GB Corsair Vengeance

I was thinking of upgrading my CPU heatsink fan from the stock to the Corsair h80i. I was wondering if it is even worth the upgrade if I own a locked i5 CPU. Also I am on a tight budget in the current moment, so I really don't want to upgrade my motherboard or CPU to a newer version just to be able to get an unlocked CPU (I know I could still get a third generation CPU for my motherboard 1155 socket , but I want to wait for the new CPUs that are coming out so I don't have to upgrade again since we both know that will come out to $300 and above). I was wondering if it's worth holding on to my budget and wait to upgrade my CPU, motherboard, and heatsink all at once when the time comes or just get the heatsink alone now since I really don't mind the i5 2500 at this point in time (at least for now :P).

Thanks for the opinion guys!!

CPU: i5 25000 3.3 GHz             Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V-LK          Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB           Display: Samsung SD24 24" 1080p          

GPU: EVGA GTX 660 SC 2 GB     Sound: Razer Kraken pro                            PSU: Rosewill 630 watt                    Storage 1: 128 GB Adata XPG SX900 SSD

Case: Rosewill Challenger       CPU Cooler: Corsair h80i                    Mouse: Corsair M65                                   Storage 2: Seagate 2 TB HDD

Heres a picture using Asus' software for simplicity... This is on idle btw

post-80738-0-60365000-1399867968.jpg

CPU: i5 25000 3.3 GHz             Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V-LK          Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB           Display: Samsung SD24 24" 1080p          

GPU: EVGA GTX 660 SC 2 GB     Sound: Razer Kraken pro                            PSU: Rosewill 630 watt                    Storage 1: 128 GB Adata XPG SX900 SSD

Case: Rosewill Challenger       CPU Cooler: Corsair h80i                    Mouse: Corsair M65                                   Storage 2: Seagate 2 TB HDD

Are those load temps or idle temps?

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Not a good temps for idle. You can get good cooler & it will always serve you even if you choose to upgrade to another socket (of course if cooler supports those socket [usually they have support many sockets]). So yes, why not? Get water cooler, besides you will see huge difference in temps, it will be very pretty in case.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

Are those load temps or idle temps?

Yes those are idle temps.

Not a good temps for idle. You can get good cooler & it will always serve you even if you choose to upgrade to another socket (of course if cooler supports those socket [usually they have support many sockets]). So yes, why not? Get water cooler, besides you will see huge difference in temps, it will be very pretty in case.

I agree, those are not fairly well for idle temps. I might get the h80i the next time they are on sale :P

I agree, those are not fairly well for idle temps. I might get the h80i the next time they are on sale :P

You could also get something like a Hyper 212 Evo for $30.

go with like a hyper 212 evo for your CPU really. 

Actually there are other brands except Corsair which have quite good coolers like that H80i. For example this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Performer-All-In-One-Cooling-CLW0222/dp/B00DZL863Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399868424&sr=8-1&keywords=thermaltake+water+3.0

I have water 2.0 & my idle temps for i7 3770k is 35 celsius & on load 3.9ghz it gets 55-60.

That water 3.0 may be even better as it's newer version & it's cheaper than h80i.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

What's the ambient temp?

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

What's the ambient temp?

ambient temp is around 30 degrees Celsius

Actually there are other brands except Corsair which have quite good coolers like that H80i. For example this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Performer-All-In-One-Cooling-CLW0222/dp/B00DZL863Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399868424&sr=8-1&keywords=thermaltake+water+3.0

I have water 2.0 & my idle temps for i7 3770k is 35 celsius & on load 3.9ghz it gets 55-60.

That water 3.0 may be even better as it's newer version & it's cheaper than h80i.

go with like a hyper 212 evo for your CPU really. 

You could also get something like a Hyper 212 Evo for $30.

I'm going to be honest lol, one of the reasons I really want an h80i is because of the Corsair link software and their fancy LED  

ambient temp is around 30 degrees Celsius

I'm going to be honest lol, one of the reasons I really want an h80i is because of the Corsair link software and their fancy LED  

I can't honestly say that I think you'll see a significant improvement in temps with a 30C ambient.

Usually the improvement is seen when you overclock and increase the processor's heat output, but you can't even do that.

Linus Sebastian said:

I can't honestly say that I think you'll see a significant improvement in temps with a 30C ambient.

Usually the improvement is seen when you overclock and increase the processor's heat output, but you can't even do that.

I might decrease my ambient temp, I guess that would be my only option of testing wouldn't it

Idles temps are pretty irrelevant. Load temps are what matter. 

What's the system being used for? Why would you upgrade?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Idles temps are pretty irrelevant. Load temps are what matter. 

What's the system being used for? Why would you upgrade?

I use the system for everything. Basically for gaming to video rendering. I also want to upgrade because I love the link software the h80i offers

I use the system for everything. Basically for gaming to video rendering. I also want to upgrade because I love the link software the h80i offers

Corsair link is more of just a gimmick than anything else imo. What's so appealing about it?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Corsair link is more of just a gimmick than anything else imo. What's so appealing about it?

I like lights in a PC. its just appealing to me. I like the h80i because I like how I can change the LED light

I like lights in a PC. its just appealing to me. I like the h80i because I like how I can change the LED light

If that's your thing, it sounds like you know what you want.

Just as a heads up--it's quite loud if you don't replace the fan. 

If that's your thing, it sounds like you know what you want.

Just as a heads up--it's quite loud if you don't replace the fan. 

Ya I heard that also. I was thinking of getting the Noctua NH-D14 since I heard really good reviews about that, but I'm more of a water cooling guy rather than the fan cooling