How much difference am I going to notice.

Tony C75.

I am upgrading my system from a 10400 with a 1660super, running a 1440p 34 inch ultra wide monitor and a 27in 1080p monitor to a 12400 and a 3060 with the same monitors.  So I am just curious how much uplift I am going to see when it comes to gaming.

2 minutes ago, Tony C75. said:

I am upgrading my system from a 10400 with a 1660super, running a 1440p 34 inch ultra wide monitor and a 27in 1080p monitor to a 12400 and a 3060 with the same monitors.  So I am just curious how much uplift I am going to see when it comes to gaming.

Have you already bought these components? Because you could get better parts for the price. 

But you won't see a huge uplift but it'll be substantial 

You'll get about a 43% uplift on average in games in the gpu space

image.png.300c2c5fbcda792a7bcbf2f9fa7168d1.png

in cpu you'll get much bigger L2 and L3 cache as well as pcie gen 4 (not necessary but still)

But you could get a 5600 and a cheap b550 tomahawk board and then upgrade to a 5800X3D when you want to 

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

An ultrawide is essentially a 4k monitor or close to it. It's a trend that I don't personally get or like, but if you have one then you need a 4k card. going from a 1660s to a 3060 wont do you much good. If you intend on playing on an ultrawide then get a 3090,4080,4090 and maybe a 3080ti or 4070ti but don't expect much from those two after two years.

If you can't afford those cards then it's better to stick to a regular 16:9 1440p.

6 minutes ago, Jon-Slow said:

Where is that picture from? I don't think you get 43% uplift at an ultrawide resolution with a 3060. @filpo

techpowerup, its on average, obviously some games will be different but its just an average

Current parts list

Yeah, the setup for the system is pretty much just set in stone.  The only reason I like my ultrawide is I work from home and it lets me have what I would normally have on 2 monitor on a single screen for work, freeing my second monitor up for other tools I can use for work.

8 minutes ago, Tony C75. said:

Yeah, the setup for the system is pretty much just set in stone.  The only reason I like my ultrawide is I work from home and it lets me have what I would normally have on 2 monitor on a single screen for work, freeing my second monitor up for other tools I can use for work.

You'll get around 30% uplift on average for both components (or 40 for gpu as techpowerup says)

Current parts list

13 minutes ago, Tony C75. said:

I think you can get a lock 30 fps in most games with a 3060 if you're lucky and also droping some settings to mid at around the 4k res. you wont get any more stable frame locks out of that card and definitely not a locked 60 or +60 unless you're droping to all low in most games. The thing is that the 1660s could pretty much also give you a lock 30 in most games at that res if you drop even more settings from mid to low. So all in all, you're always looking at a lock 30 at best or a 30-60 which would be pretty jarring. Maybe a lock 40 in games with certain settings and only if you have a 120hz gsync refereshrate would be nice.

But this is why I wouldn't see the point in getting the 3060, but then again I personally don't see the point in gaming on an ultrawide as the two large sides of the screen will be busy rendering pixels that the game is not designed for and usually nothing happens at. pixels that could be translated into more frames at the same resolution height. So I guess maybe save your money for when you can afford a used 3090 on a good deal.

Note that the point is that at an ultrawide res, you are going to be GPU bound 99% of the time when you have anything but a beefy 4k card. So your CPU is going to be of little consequence

1 hour ago, Jon-Slow said:

An ultrawide is essentially a 4k monitor or close to it. It's a trend that I don't personally get or like, but if you have one then you need a 4k card.

I would disagree on this point. Been running a 34" ultra wide for over 10 years. My first being a 60hz Dell ultra sharp ips and it ran perfectly with my 1080ti at the full 3440 1440p in any games i played.

Today using a 144hz LG panel 3440 1440p nano ips with a 3080 and the 1080ti that i was using till the GPU upgrade could still run the full res without issue. I did on occasion have some occasional screen tearing in games as horizon zero dawn until i upgraded the GPU and since then no issues at all. metro exodus lruns like a dream even a fully modded Cyberpunk does its things although i do not use ultra settings but high with medium shadows.

My wife now uses the 1080ti paired with my older 8700k and she runs whatever she wants on the Dell 34" that I upgraded from. She runs games like Stray - Grounded and similar titles. No issues at all.

12 minutes ago, johnno23 said:

I would disagree on this point. Been running a 34" ultra wide for over 10 years. My first being a 60hz Dell ultra sharp ips and it ran perfectly with my 1080ti at the full 3440 1440p in any games i played.

Today using a 144hz LG panel 3440 1440p nano ips with a 3080 and the 1080ti that i was using till the GPU upgrade could still run the full res without issue. I did on occasion have some occasional screen tearing in games as horizon zero dawn until i upgraded the GPU and since then no issues at all. metro exodus lruns like a dream even a fully modded Cyberpunk does its things although i do not use ultra settings but high with medium shadows.

My wife now uses the 1080ti paired with my older 8700k and she runs whatever she wants on the Dell 34" that I upgraded from. She runs games like Stray - Grounded and similar titles. No issues at all.

it's all dependent on the standards. my standards value motion clarity and height resolution + high to ultra graphical settings. at the end of the day a 1440p experience with 4k frame rate isn't to my liking or standards. I think a better experience could be had with a 16:9 where I see what areas of the game that the design  was meat  for plus a better frame rate and graphical settings. So this is why I consider ultra wide the same as 4k in terms of needs and only consider 4k cards for it. 1080 ti would've been the best for it at lunch or 2 years aftes Today only a 3090,4080 is good enough for that.

but then again, it'a all based on personal preference and standards.

6 hours ago, Jon-Slow said:

but then again, it'a all based on personal preference and standards.

quite true but did not answer the OP questions........with what he has and the upgrades he is about to do he will see a significant uplift. the percentages I am not going to hunt down comparison graphs but the difference in what he can see on screen right now and what he can see and do with the upgrades will in his first weeks of use be totally amazing till he is so accustomed to it that it would be accepted as totally normal once again until the next upgrade cycle......

8 hours ago, johnno23 said:

quite true but did not answer the OP questions........with what he has and the upgrades he is about to do he will see a significant uplift. the percentages I am not going to hunt down comparison graphs but the difference in what he can see on screen right now and what he can see and do with the upgrades will in his first weeks of use be totally amazing till he is so accustomed to it that it would be accepted as totally normal once again until the next upgrade cycle......

yeah, I did that in my previous comment. basically on that resolution which is close to 4k, you will get a locked 60 with both the 1660 and the 3060. the difference is that with the 3060 you could have better graphics settings. you can't get a locked 60 with either. Maybe you could get a locked 60 with the 3060 but have to drop everything to mid/low. of course every game is different but I'm considering recent aaa titles. which is why I think you need a 4k card for a 4k screen to get a decent locked 60 and +60

On 6/3/2023 at 8:44 AM, Tony C75. said:

Well, my personal opinion is you will notice the difference as the 3060 is a noticeable upgrade on the 1660.

I'm not sure how big the CPU upgrade is, if it is one, as I think they are both 6c 12t.

I noticed you didn't mention the refresh rate you are limited to by your monitor, principally your 1440p one.

Ultimately, you'll definitely see an improvement in FPS or settings, or both depending on the variables.

Exactly, how big of an improvement will, obviously, depend on the game.

Whatever happens, you'll be able to push (significantly?) improved frame rates on certain games and maintain a 60 minimum with improved settings on others.

I have a similar to the 10400 CPU, and only have a 2060 which quite a bit weaker than the 3060, and I play at 1440 with no issues.

Yes, it's a compromise at times between settings and frame rate but we all know that's the way it works on pc.

On 6/3/2023 at 9:50 AM, filpo said:

Have you already bought these components? Because you could get better parts for the price. 

But you won't see a huge uplift but it'll be substantial 

You'll get about a 43% uplift on average in games in the gpu space

image.png.300c2c5fbcda792a7bcbf2f9fa7168d1.png

in cpu you'll get much bigger L2 and L3 cache as well as pcie gen 4 (not necessary but still)

But you could get a 5600 and a cheap b550 tomahawk board and then upgrade to a 5800X3D when you want to 

In addition to this 43%, going from your 1440p monitor to the 1080 one will give you when better performance. 

As for value of individual components, that's not something I keep up with daily. 

On 6/3/2023 at 1:44 AM, Tony C75. said:

Can you possibly squeeze in a bit more cash for a better GPU?

I mean its a decent uplift, but not huge and it may not be satisfactory driving such a high resolution. I drive my 3440x1440p (1440 Ultrawide) monitor with a Radeon RX 7900-XTX. Now you don't really need quite that much power, I run games at completely maxed-out Ultra-Everything settings and still exceed the 100Hz monitor refresh rate by quite a bit, usually averaging 120-140 FPS. But of course these are modern AAA titles with demanding graphics.

You should aim for High settings and ~90 FPS for a supremely smooth  and responsive experience with high fidelity without over-spending on the GPU.

For that kind of performance at 3440x1440p, really you would want to look at the RTX 4070 (Non-Ti) or the Radeon RX 7800-XT (whenever it finally releases).

You could also bring the cost down by looking at last-gen's RX 6800-XT. I would avoid the RTX 3070/Ti simply for the fact they only have 8GB VRAM and this high resolution easily exceeds it.

I mean a 3060 is okay-ish but its really not a card meant for 3440x1440p, its more of a standard 16:9 2560x1440p card on high-ish settings. I just couldn't really recommended a 60-class card for this kind of resolution...

But I understand that budgets are budgets and if you can't pull it off then you just do what you gotta do I guess...

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread: