Alternate ways of playing games.

CastletonSnob

Inspired by SNESDrunk's "Unconventional Ways to Play Classic Super Nintendo Games" videos. (You should definitely check SNESDrunk out).

Finding alternate ways of playing a game, whether by doing a self-imposed challenge, or just playing a game differently than it was intended, are a good way of spicing up games you've played hundreds of times.

I'll start with the 30 Melon Challenge in Yoshi's Story, where you try to get all of the 30 Melons in each level, and NO OTHER FRUIT. It's basically like Hard Mode for the game. Particular Mushroom has a video that goes into more detail.

44 minutes ago, CastletonSnob said:

Finding alternate ways of playing a game, whether by doing a self-imposed challenge, or just playing a game differently than it was intended, are a good way of spicing up games you've played hundreds of times.

I've been replaying Stardew Valley recently and I've been trying to mix it up since the pale ale and starfruit wine meta gets a bit boring the 10th time you've done it.
I perfected the game using animals only - Only growing crops inside the greenhouse for gifts, recipes, and completion.
But that was too easy so now I started again with only making money from wood/tree products, selling wood and syrups. No fishing, no farming, no animals. I can mine but I can't sell anything that isn't wood/forage products.

The Nuzlocke challenge in Pokemon games is one of the more well known self-imposed challenge modes.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

If you are into starcraft 2, there is a great creator that does challenge runs. Most notably, Marines/Zerglings/Zelots only. Those are lots of fun to watch, but I doubt they'd be fun to play.

But I do like randomizer. In Pokemon they can be very fun, but there also exists one for starcraft 2, zelda games and more.

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

I've been replaying Stardew Valley recently and I've been trying to mix it up since the pale ale and starfruit wine meta gets a bit boring the 10th time you've done it.
I perfected the game using animals only - Only growing crops inside the greenhouse for gifts, recipes, and completion.
But that was too easy so now I started again with only making money from wood/tree products, selling wood and syrups. No fishing, no farming, no animals. I can mine but I can't sell anything that isn't wood/forage products.

The Nuzlocke challenge in Pokemon games is one of the more well known self-imposed challenge modes.

ive wanted to play it, should i?

weird question but i heard u can have relationships in stardew valley lol

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

25 minutes ago, Blqckqut said:

ive wanted to play it, should i?

weird question but i heard u can have relationships in stardew valley lol

I would recommend it, but it really depends on what sort of games you like. It's pretty cheap on steam. I like it just for organising things and seeing how productive my farm can be. There's a really good wiki for it if you ever get stuck but I'd recommend for a first play through going in blind and experimenting figuring it out as you go.

There's relationships but they're not super involved. You get villagers to like you by doing errand quests for them and giving them gifts. When they like you you'll get some cut scenes with them and when your relationship points with a villager who is single is high enough you can date them and you can get married and have kids.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

I would recommend it, but it really depends on what sort of games you like. It's pretty cheap on steam. I like it just for organising things and seeing how productive my farm can be. There's a really good wiki for it if you ever get stuck but I'd recommend for a first play through going in blind and experimenting figuring it out as you go.

There's relationships but they're not super involved. You get villagers to like you by doing errand quests for them and giving them gifts. When they like you you'll get some cut scenes with them and when your relationship points with a villager who is single is high enough you can date them and you can get married and have kids.

oh i kinda sorta maybe cannot confirm nor deny got it trough some maybe probably deffinatly not sketchy means and wanted to see if i should try it

i love farming games

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)