Why is there a Y-splitter on the PSU side of MOBO power?

Jumper
Go to solution Solved by seon123,

The PSU side has extra pins for Vsense wires. The PSU uses them to measure the voltage on the motherboard side, so it can provide a more stable voltage. 24 pins are already difficult to plug in, so the 28 pin connector is split into 18+10 pins, so it won't require quite as much force to plug in. 

Why wouldn't it be a single cable?

Is there any situation where you shouldn't connect the other one?

The other side is just a regular 24-pin

IMG_20230531_170750.jpg

3 minutes ago, Jumper said:

IMG_20230531_170750.jpg

maybe to give the internals some breathing room. to make sure u don't screw up the orientation. Thats all I can think of

I hit 700W on an i5 with a NHD15

Also I'm 14 so please just confirm anything I say with someone more experienced

iirc it's a board layout thing, the split mostly existing to route things in between.

The PSU side has extra pins for Vsense wires. The PSU uses them to measure the voltage on the motherboard side, so it can provide a more stable voltage. 24 pins are already difficult to plug in, so the 28 pin connector is split into 18+10 pins, so it won't require quite as much force to plug in. 

:)

it is for isolation. 

internally, power supplies have all of the beefy power outputs physically isolated from the actual control portion. 

16 minutes ago, Jumper said:

IMG_20230531_170750.jpg

Its just how some power supplies are designed. There's no standard for PSU side connectors so companies will vary how they layout especially the physical connectors on the 24 pin. Some are 1:1 'extension' type, some use this 18+10, some do 20+4, 24+4, it really depends on what the manufacturer wants.

I emailed Seasonic about this a couple weeks ago to ask about this specifically.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

8 minutes ago, seon123 said:

^ This is the correct answer.

The connectors used are Molex Mini-Fit Jr. Molex does not manufacturer a 28 pin connector housing for the Mini-Fit Jr. series. This means if power supply manufacturers want 28 pins (for the additional voltage sense wires) they need to use two separate connectors, hence 18+10.

29 minutes ago, Jumper said:

You always need both connectors plugged in.

23 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

it is for isolation. 

internally, power supplies have all of the beefy power outputs physically isolated from the actual control portion. 

I don't even know what this is supposed to mean.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

14 minutes ago, Spotty said:

I don't even know what this is supposed to mean.

well what i assumed was the p_on, p_ok, grounds, and 5vsb would be on the 10-pin and the other power rails all on the other ones because that makes sense. 

i looked it up, it actually just makes little sense. Maybe they just like more wires and outputs for further standart compatibility or ass-covering idk

Spoiler

PSU_Pinout_Voltage_-_Corsair_Type_4.png?v=1578641655