Sony XM5s for everything?

Precast

Im looking for a good all around pair of headphones. Im sure the WH-1000XM5s aren't the best for gaming but I plan on mostly listening to music and I would like having noise canceling for when Im on the go. Anyone have experience using the XM5s as their only headphones? Any recommendations for a better all around use pair of headphones?

So it sorta depends on your taste and preferences in regards to sound quality. It can certainly be done and for gaming you can buy a pair of koss ksc 75 for $20 and be solved but for everything if you like the sound quality ,features , and frequency response why not use as your only headphone I've certainly daily drove worse and was very happy. You just need to be comfortable with it caveats. 

I agree with @rice guru The Koss lineup is nothing to laugh at, I prefer the Kph30i with a grado pad swap but the KPH40 is great with no swap and doesn't look as tacky.  The ksc75 is another excellent option but mine stopped working so I'm biased with those, but if you don't want the head band they offer the Koss sound just as well as the others and can be yaxi pad swapped.

On that note, if you're looking for a wired solution I can't stop recommending the Rode NTH-100.  They sound incredible on any device, even a phone and are easily top 3 or 4 of my headphones and #1 in the price range.  They are closed back so noise isolating and very comfortable.  They look like they won't fit everyone but I'm sure they'll fit most.  I have a tiny head and tiny flat ears, they fit me fine.  I had a friend of mine try them on and he's got a huge head with huge ears and to his surprise they fit perfectly.  Cooling ear pads actually work and I can wear them all day no issues.  There was a controversy about the ratcheting mechanism cracking but I am under the strong impression that has been solved.  These are my #1 pick under $200 with no amp or dac.

However if you require wireless and ANC your options will be very limited, a lot of people talk about the Sony and say it's a good headphone but I'm not a wireless guy and have never owned ANC.  I can say that the AKG K361-BT is a great option because it can be wireless or wired, it's closed back so noise isolating and it has a rather fun consumer focused sound stage at a great price.  If you go with these get the thickest protein pads you can find for them and they're golden.

One option is getting a pair of Koss for on the go and another pair for at home.  That way if you lose or break the Koss it's not a big deal, I must have purchased 15 Kph30i as gifts for friends and family and since I got them on black friday it was like buying one pair of headphones for myself.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission