Need Assistance Cloning

cfrozer
Go to solution Solved by Tan3l6,

On the same command line perhaps try - bcdboot C:\Windows /S C: 

Edit: considering C: is the boot drive. If it's D: then use D: with bcdboot. Usually it should be C: though.

I'm recommending Macrium Reflect for cloning, never had any problems with it.

Hello!
I'm doing this as a favor for my grandmother & there's stuff on the drive that can't be re-installed so cloning is the only option. The laptop has a build date in 2014. the Partition style is GPTI'm trying to clone from a HDD to an SSD, I'm using EaseUS Disk Copy Pro. I'm going from an HDD to an SSD, same size of 1TB, the SSD is a WD Blue SA510. the HDD is a HSGT HTS541010A9E860 (wtf) The cloning goes well & I'm able to view the files on the SSD but the problem arises when trying to boot off the drive. The system immediately bluescreens, does not show the HP logo, it gives me a few options but nothing works except going to the UEFI settings. 
I've attached a video on what it does on boot. the only thing that works is the ESC key to go to the UEFI settings. The flashing is me pressing the keys. 
Now for the things I've tried but didn't work.

Using Windows media creation to try & repair the drive

This guide from Wondershare It Failed on Boot rec /fixboot saying Access Denied
Everything else on the guide worked but i hit a roadblock on bootrec /rebuildbcd, it found the windows OS, when trying to add the install to the boot list, it says "The system cannot find the path specified." (photo attached)

This guide from EaseUS Everything worked until the point I had to "cd /d". I changed the "D" to the letter I used. 

I've done a few more things but I can't remember them.
I'm wondering if a system image will work but in my experience, it never did.
I'm at a loss, please let me know of any solutions or steps I can try. 

IMG_0089.jpeg

i7-7700k @4.8GHz

Asus Maxmius IX hero

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW 3

850w EVGA PSU

32GB corsair LPX ddr4 ram 

Edit: considering C: is the boot drive. If it's D: then use D: with bcdboot. Usually it should be C: though.

I edit my posts more often than not

Couple of years ago I came across a similar problem and here is what I did to help fix it.  I already had a WAVLINK USB 3.0 to SATA External Hard Drive Docking Station so that came in handy and I already had the AOMEI Partition Assistant software to work with and that did it for materials needed.

I just put the hard drive into the source slot of the WavLink and put the SSD into the target slot of the WavLink.  After installing both the drives into the WavLink, I called up the AOMEI Partition Assistant software and did the rest of the job using it.  That software allows you to do whatever you want with the drives including deleting partitions, reformatting partitions, changing partition types, whatever you want to do.  Just make sure that you press the button in the top left corner of the software so it will perform the function that you have indicated.

After doing that, I went ahead and did the clone process and to my surprise, everything worked the first time.  So, maybe you can give this stuff a look to see if it will help your situation.  Even if you don't have one of the Wavlink stations, you can still use the AOMEI Partition Assistant software.

Take Care and Good Luck.

https://www.diskpart.com/free-partition-manager.html

https://www.newegg.com/p/1VK-0294-003C9?Description=wavlink docking station for harddrive&cm_re=wavlink_docking station for harddrive-_-9SIAUXAJU46826-_-Product

24 minutes ago, cfrozer said:

The cloning goes well & I'm able to view the files on the SSD but the problem arises when trying to boot off the drive.

When you cloned the drive you did clone ALL partitions?, not just the C: partition. For EFI boot there should also be a 100MB EFI boot partition - this is what is used by your bios to boot windows.

If you can see the efi boot partition using diskpart follow this guide when booted to Windows installation media to mount the efi boot partition manually. bootrec should now be able to see both the EFI and Windows partition to perform the repair

https://www.makeuseof.com/bootrec-fixboot-access-denied-windows/

16 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Says boot Files successfully created but it still blue screens
I'll look into Macrium Reflect now, thanks

i7-7700k @4.8GHz

Asus Maxmius IX hero

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW 3

850w EVGA PSU

5 minutes ago, C2dan88 said:

When you cloned the drive you did clone ALL partitions?, not just the C: partition. For EFI boot there should also be a 100MB EFI boot partition - this is what is used by your bios to boot windows.

If you can see the efi boot partition using diskpart follow this guide when booted to Windows installation media to mount the efi boot partition manually. bootrec should now be able to see both the EFI and Windows partition to perform the repair

Everything is cloned, I'll give that guide a try now. 
Thank you!

i7-7700k @4.8GHz

Asus Maxmius IX hero

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW 3

850w EVGA PSU

16 minutes ago, C2dan88 said:

When doing this guide it stops at "bcdboot C:\windows /s V: /f UEFI"
It give me a list of commands, almost like its in invalid command. 

i7-7700k @4.8GHz

Asus Maxmius IX hero

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW 3

850w EVGA PSU

1 minute ago, cfrozer said:

It give me a list of commands, almost like its in invalid command

Make sure you replace V with the letter you assigned to the EFI partition

1 minute ago, C2dan88 said:

Make sure you replace V with the letter you assigned to the EFI partition

That stopped the list of commands but now i'm met with "Failure when attempting to copy boot files"

i7-7700k @4.8GHz

Asus Maxmius IX hero

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW 3

850w EVGA PSU

1 hour ago, Tan3l6 said:

you my friend are amazing! Thank you for the software! 

i7-7700k @4.8GHz

Asus Maxmius IX hero

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW 3

850w EVGA PSU