Plex Issues

Looking to make a plex server with a synology enclosure and some seagate drives in the future. Right now I'm just getting familiar with the plex software. Using my desktop pc as the server. Now the issues I'm having is I'm unable to play movies I have on my pc on my phone via the plex app (S22 Ultra), both on data and my home wifi. I've put the quality down low as 320p and I never get beyond the title card of the movie. It just goes black and back to the movie info. I also have the home streaming setting set to 720P HD high. Any suggestions are welcome.

On 5/29/2023 at 12:06 AM, JordanTrace said:

Looking to make a plex server with a synology enclosure and some seagate drives in the future. Right now I'm just getting familiar with the plex software. Using my desktop pc as the server. Now the issues I'm having is I'm unable to play movies I have on my pc on my phone via the plex app (S22 Ultra), both on data and my home wifi. I've put the quality down low as 320p and I never get beyond the title card of the movie. It just goes black and back to the movie info. I also have the home streaming setting set to 720P HD high. Any suggestions are welcome.

My guess is the resolution on the video files is too high and the machine your using is having a hard time transcoding OR it has to deal with the file format of the video files. Plex can do on the fly transcoding but high resolution content like 4K content takes shit loads of power. Its best to have all your files in the resolution and format for the devices you intend to stream to. That being said, most modern CPU even some not so moderm can do software transcoding of SD and HD content. When it comes to 4K its best you dont even try. If your GPU supports it Plex can do hardware transcoding but this requires the Plex Pass which costs money. 

One this I would like to mention. While a NAS can run Plex, you will be limited on if you have to transcode. Most off the shelf NAS's I have seen run pretty pleb tier hardware and the CPU's likely are not going to be strong enough to do a lot of transcoding. Thats why I store my Plex data on a NAS but use an old gaming machine for the "Server" so I can do transcodes easier. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.