Keyboard Recommendations please?

Go to solution Solved by Guest,
1 hour ago, Basshead said:

what's gonna be the difference between red blue and brown switches?

blue switches are clicky as in when you press the key there is a bump that click on actuation point and it make clicky sound, this switches are very loud as a result
brown switches are tactile as in when you press the key there is a bump on actuation point, this switches are not loud as a result
red switches are linear as in there is no bump when you press the keyboard, instead it will just run smooth to the bottom so if you didnt bottom out the key when pressing, there will be barely any sound

to demonstrate what i mean by the bump, try running a pen or something like a stick on the table across your finger. when the pen hit your finger and went across your finger, thats the feeling of the bump.

now what is the best one? we can't say since its your preference, do you like your keyboard loud, quiet, smooth it depend on preference. if you want you can just buy any cheap mechanical keyboard for like 20-30$ to see if you like it or no before going for the more expensive one.

i once own mechanical keyboard, one red swtiches and one brown switches. while i liked it in the end i just use my laptop keyboard for space reason and just preference reason.

I am looking for keyboard recommendation! I am not keyboard geek so pls forgive my ignorance concerning terminology and the like.

I like the key profile of the compaq keyboard shown in the attached pic. I like the feeling of a Dell Latitude 2120 keyboard's keys. I want RGB. I would like standard media keys somewhere (play/pause, next, previous, volume up down mute, etc.) whether on function keys or separate. I am used to size keyboard from Dell Latitude 3160 to standard odm dell keyboard.

I prefer not to spend a whole lot – preferably under $40-50.

Must have numpad with numlock, function keys, and arrow keys in normal position. Also I'd prefer a little bit smaller than normal size (referrig to the compaq and dell key oard as normal here).

Thanks in advance! 🙂 

s-l1600[1].jpg

I don't really like these keyboard but fits all your requirements. The steel series apex 3 has rgb , and media keys. Shouls be slightly shorter than that Compaq keyboard. Another option maybe the rk96 if you want a truly smaller layout. 

• 4 weeks later...

1 hour ago, Basshead said:

blue switches are clicky as in when you press the key there is a bump that click on actuation point and it make clicky sound, this switches are very loud as a result
brown switches are tactile as in when you press the key there is a bump on actuation point, this switches are not loud as a result
red switches are linear as in there is no bump when you press the keyboard, instead it will just run smooth to the bottom so if you didnt bottom out the key when pressing, there will be barely any sound

to demonstrate what i mean by the bump, try running a pen or something like a stick on the table across your finger. when the pen hit your finger and went across your finger, thats the feeling of the bump.

now what is the best one? we can't say since its your preference, do you like your keyboard loud, quiet, smooth it depend on preference. if you want you can just buy any cheap mechanical keyboard for like 20-30$ to see if you like it or no before going for the more expensive one.

i once own mechanical keyboard, one red swtiches and one brown switches. while i liked it in the end i just use my laptop keyboard for space reason and just preference reason.

I have done a little more researh 

On 6/23/2023 at 1:20 AM, Chris2002 said:

in the end i just use my laptop keyboard for space reason and just preference reason.

Yeah, I get that, i will be using it either at my main desk downstairs or for college in my bedroom.
I can't stand my surface go's terrible aftermarket bluetooth keyboard/touchpad (esp. the touchpad), so if i use that for college i will definitely be using a separate keyboard.

I did some more reseach and I think I'd like cherry mx brown switches the most (but i like the sound of blue i think?), so i will get something with that, and i really like lower profile keyboards. My favorite sound is the old commodore 64 keyboard, probably because that was my first computer, but other than that i like higher sounding key noise like the compaq keyboard i posted a pic of and i also like dells classic oem keyboard shown here. im used to the dell keyboard the most but want a little more tactile response than it has.81euUJPj7eL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

EDIT:
I did not realize blues are clicky, i hate clicky switches for day to day typing. cant do it.

Edited by Basshead
Clarification

Um by the way, I am the proud owner of at least 6 typewriters... 🙄
I like more resistance (but not like the most possible of course)

I watched LTT's best switch video: 

I like how they described the box jade switches, but of course i dont want the clicky.

I think i want the most tactile response tactile switches that are close to the box jade switch.
If anyone can give me a good description on Cherry MX Brown switches I'd appreciate that.

24 minutes ago, Basshead said:

Um by the way, I am the proud owner of at least 6 typewriters... 🙄
I like more resistance (but not like the most possible of course)

I watched LTT's best switch video: 

I like how they described the box jade switches, but of course i dont want the clicky.

I think i want the most tactile response tactile switches that are close to the box jade switch.
If anyone can give me a good description on Cherry MX Brown switches I'd appreciate that.

Give us a timestamp if you're going to post a very long video.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

26 minutes ago, Basshead said:

If you can kindly read the responses given to you, that would may give you an idea.

On 6/23/2023 at 2:20 AM, Chris2002 said:

So you have 6 typewriters, but you don't want the clicky sound of a Clicky mechanical switch?

If you want good resistance, I think you want a tactile switch with no pre-travel (which are kind of basically linear switches).

I'd recommend the Gazzew Boba U4T switches.

https://ringerkeys.com/products/gazzew-boba-u4t-thocky-tactile-switches

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2023 at 1:28 AM, saintlouisbagels said:

So you have 6 typewriters, but you don't want the clicky sound of a Clicky mechanical switch?

If you ever typed on real mechanical typewriter, it's much different from clicky keyboard switches (which I tried out at the store).

On 7/1/2023 at 1:28 AM, saintlouisbagels said:

I've heard of those recently actually! I will have to wait till I have enough money to afford all this, but I love the idea of getting those.
(or the Cherry MX Browns, they seem like a good general choice)

On 7/13/2023 at 7:37 AM, Basshead said:

I've heard of those recently actually! I will have to wait till I have enough money to afford all this, but I love the idea of getting those.
(or the Cherry MX Browns, they seem like a good general choice)

If you are looking for a typewrite experience, the U4T or Baby Kangaroo from Gateron might be what you are looking for, at least more so compared to Cherry MX browns and other tactile or clicky switches.

The reason I am saying this is that they have very little pre-travel (distance to move before the "bump") and a quite strong tactile bump. In my experience this results in the feeling that you are immediately at the pressure point when you touch them, with some force require to actuate them. After that they go smooth to the actuation point/bottom out.

Feels kind of a linear switch, but with an initial breaking point to overcome.