Upgrading Storage For My PC

FRYEGUY96

Specs:

Mobo - ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming (WiFi)

CPU - Ryzen 5 3600

Storage - Silicon Power 512GB NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen3x4 2280 SSD

Storage - Seagate BarraCuda 2TB Internal HDD 3.5 inch SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM 256MB Cache

Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of upgrading/updating my PC now that I have the funds to do so. Among buying a new CPU and GPU I'd like to upgrade my storage. As I'm currently only using one of the two M.2 slots on my mobo, I'm curious if the storage upgrade is as simple as purchasing a new NVMe SSD and putting it into the other slot. I know that this will disable SATA slots 5/6 so I should still be able to have my HDD plugged into SATA slot 1 correct?

I'm looking at purchasing a Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVMe drive. My OS is currently on my current NVMe drive so am I correct in assuming that I could leave that there in one of the slots and simply add the new Samsung 980 Pro 2 to the other slot and start using it?

Any input is appreciated, thanks in advance!

you assume correctly.

the only thing you might have is that the new drive is not seen on the desktop immediately when you open This PC. if that happens simply open device manager where it will show up and format the new SSD then it will be usable.

5 hours ago, johnno23 said:

you assume correctly.

the only thing you might have is that the new drive is not seen on the desktop immediately when you open This PC. if that happens simply open device manager where it will show up and format the new SSD then it will be usable.

Does Device Manager provide access to Disk Management capabilities such as Format though? Just trying to make this clear for OPs sake.

I've always gone straight to Disk Management, though if something doesn't show up there, Device Manager can confirm if anything new appears or is unknown to the system & Windows.