Something bumped my PC and now it won't boot up.

vibrant

I was just watching YouTube, when something fell and hit the side of my PC. After this, the screen froze and the audio was just repeating itself which sounded like a buzzing sound because it was just the sound that was playing at the time of the freeze repeating.

Now, whenever I try to turn it on, it just starts the case fans and GPU fan and then after 5-10 seconds turns off, and then after about 3-4 seconds it reboots itself and repeats the cycle. I haven't tried touching it since this happens since I don't know much about computers and don't want to risk making it worse.

Specs of the PC are as follows: Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP. CPU: Intel Core i7-4790s. GPU: ASUS Nvidia GeForce 1050 TI. RAM: 2x 4GB DDR3 Corsair sticks. PSU: 700W FX Pro ATX PSU.

If there is anything else you need from me to help, please let me know, thank you!

1 minute ago, vibrant said:

I was just watching YouTube, when something fell and hit the side of my PC. After this, the screen froze and the audio was just repeating itself which sounded like a buzzing sound because it was just the sound that was playing at the time of the freeze repeating.

Now, whenever I try to turn it on, it just starts the case fans and GPU fan and then after 5-10 seconds turns off, and then after about 3-4 seconds it reboots itself and repeats the cycle. I haven't tried touching it since this happens since I don't know much about computers and don't want to risk making it worse.

Specs of the PC are as follows: Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP. CPU: Intel Core i7-4790s. GPU: ASUS Nvidia GeForce 1050 TI. RAM: 2x 4GB DDR3 Corsair sticks. PSU: 700W FX Pro ATX PSU.

If there is anything else you need from me to help, please let me know, thank you!

Try replugging all cables & gpu.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

9 minutes ago, vibrant said:

some pics of the inside of the pc to see if any parts are obiosivley damged may help

Was there any error code before it cycles? With the limited info you provided, I'd say you need to reseat one or the following, ram, gpu and cpu. It might have push it out a bit and you need to remove and reseat at them. Mostly this happens with ram. It's unlikely, but check cables as well. It turns on so it should be the power cable, it try's to boot and does cycles, so it also shouldn't be sa hdd/ssd, since it would had a different error. It could be shorted though, so still check the cables and any metal like screw, the case itself touching the motherboard circuit. Another might be the OS itself, it cause an issue that's why it's cycling. If the pc it least post up to the windows logo, it just need to repair or even just wait while it cycle and fix it's error itself. But if the pc turns on and off without even showing the bios or it's just black screen, then it's not the OS. Personally, I would bet it's the ram or gpu needing to be reseated.

1 hour ago, vibrant said:

Kinda depends on the "something" that fell on it, whether it's a feather or an anvil 😛

Best case it may just have dislodged/unplug stuff inside (RAM sticks, GPU..), so as @Poinkachu suggested reassemble/replug everything, else it may have physically damaged something, so as @GOATWD suggested have a look and post pics of the insides

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

39 minutes ago, kitnoman said:

Was there any error code before it cycles? With the limited info you provided, I'd say you need to reseat one or the following, ram, gpu and cpu. It might have push it out a bit and you need to remove and reseat at them. Mostly this happens with ram. It's unlikely, but check cables as well. It turns on so it should be the power cable, it try's to boot and does cycles, so it also shouldn't be sa hdd/ssd, since it would had a different error. It could be shorted though, so still check the cables and any metal like screw, the case itself touching the motherboard circuit. Another might be the OS itself, it cause an issue that's why it's cycling. If the pc it least post up to the windows logo, it just need to repair or even just wait while it cycle and fix it's error itself. But if the pc turns on and off without even showing the bios or it's just black screen, then it's not the OS. Personally, I would bet it's the ram or gpu needing to be reseated.

There was no error code before it cycles, it doesn't show anything on the screen and monitor doesn't even recognize it as I get a no signal message. I have reseated RAM to no avail, I have completely removed GPU and it still cycles. I haven't touched the CPU as, I'm not going to lie, I'm a bit afraid to remove the fan for fear of damaging it more somehow.

I don't know which cables I should check for power as I didn't build the computer and have zero clue what cables are for what. I will attach some pictures of the inside of the PC as @GOATWD asked for them. I'm also unsure how to check if the case itself is touching the motherboard circuit? I did check for any metal stuff inside and there was nothing so it wasn't that.

If there are any more photos you need of the inside to help please let me know and I'll take them. Thank you.20230522_110523.jpgrn_image_picker_lib_temp_f8bb2b92-195e-40b6-a2fc-bf239657761a.jpgrn_image_picker_lib_temp_ee86b044-b435-4b27-95c8-010c2797cf1b.jpgrn_image_picker_lib_temp_bfde9388-0326-4f14-bb34-8657f97e0cf8.jpgrn_image_picker_lib_temp_f1b9fec0-8a17-4ffc-9737-7a3b79b242d3.jpg

40 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Kinda depends on the "something" that fell on it, whether it's a feather or an anvil 😛

Best case it may just have dislodged/unplug stuff inside (RAM sticks, GPU..), so as @Poinkachu suggested reassemble/replug everything, else it may have physically damaged something, so as @GOATWD suggested have a look and post pics of the insides

The "something" the fell on it was a metal/mesh fan cover. It's pretty light but it was moving pretty fast and may have had a decent punch because of that. I have re-seated RAM sticks and GPU as I said above and also posted pics of the insides.

4 minutes ago, vibrant said:

The "something" the fell on it was a metal/mesh fan cover. It's pretty light but it was moving pretty fast and may have had a decent punch because of that. I have re-seated RAM sticks and GPU as I said above and also posted pics of the insides.

Try Reseating the CMOS Battery, just pop it out for a minute and then pop it back in. Could also be worth checking underneath your CPU cooler and reseating the CPU. 

Not sure what the odds of success are on either of these methods will be but it's probably worth checking whilst we're blindly trying things. Could also try running one stick of RAM at a time (Try both sticks) in case one of the sticks was damaged in the impact. 

Let us know how you get on.

Glowing screen captures,

Sleep eludes, lost in pixels,

Restless eyes still yearn.

-ChatGPT; the greatest poet of our generation.

12 minutes ago, MantraWeasel said:

Try Reseating the CMOS Battery, just pop it out for a minute and then pop it back in. Could also be worth checking underneath your CPU cooler and reseating the CPU. 

Not sure what the odds of success are on either of these methods will be but it's probably worth checking whilst we're blindly trying things. Could also try running one stick of RAM at a time (Try both sticks) in case one of the sticks was damaged in the impact. 

Let us know how you get on.

I have already tried all possible combinations of RAM sticks in the slots (and I'm sure i put them in the correct slots.) and that wasn't the problem. Just reseated the CMOS Battery and nothing happened afterwards so again, not the problem.

About the CPU, I can't actually figure out how to even get started in taking out the cooler so I can't check under it. If you could help that'd be amazing, I've attached a photo of the fan from a side angle since I'm not sure if the other photos I sent have a clear shot of it.20230522_114355.jpg

1 minute ago, vibrant said:

I have already tried all possible combinations of RAM sticks in the slots (and I'm sure i put them in the correct slots.) and that wasn't the problem. Just reseated the CMOS Battery and nothing happened afterwards so again, not the problem.

About the CPU, I can't actually figure out how to even get started in taking out the cooler so I can't check under it. If you could help that'd be amazing, I've attached a photo of the fan from a side angle since I'm not sure if the other photos I sent have a clear shot of it.20230522_114355.jpg

image.png.578b9721e33ce062e437e9f8dc2e2e3d.png

Should just be able to release these clips and the cooler should be able to be removed after that and vice versa for reinstalling it. 

Glowing screen captures,

8 minutes ago, vibrant said:

Also, probably worth cleaning up what I'm guessing is residual thermal paste and checking to see if the impact has knocked any capacitors loose or off altogether. Had that happen with a system at my work the other year, quick solder job to replace the capacitor fixed that. 

image.png.64271cb08ccc18dcecaf9b6c61679829.png

Glowing screen captures,

10 minutes ago, MantraWeasel said:

image.png.578b9721e33ce062e437e9f8dc2e2e3d.png

Should just be able to release these clips and the cooler should be able to be removed after that and vice versa for reinstalling it. 

I figured that much, but I am unsure of how am I supposed to release the clip? Do I just press down on the metal handle or is there a specific way to do it without damaging it? 

11 minutes ago, vibrant said:

I figured that much, but I am unsure of how am I supposed to release the clip? Do I just press down on the metal handle or is there a specific way to do it without damaging it? 

Push it down and then you should be able to release the metal portion of the clip from the plastic hook. Shouldn't need to put too much pressure on it, but it will be fairly tight as it would've needed to have held the cooler down firmly over the CPU backplate.

Glowing screen captures,

11 minutes ago, MantraWeasel said:

Push it down and then you should be able to release the metal portion of the clip from the plastic hook. Shouldn't need to put too much pressure on it, but it will be fairly tight as it would've needed to have held the cooler down firmly over the CPU backplate.

After fumbling around with it for the last 10 minutes or so, I still haven't a clue in how to do what you're asking me. It's a shame but I think I'm just not cut out for this haha. Thanks for trying to help though, but I figure I'll have to take this to a repair shop or something.

Just now, vibrant said:

After fumbling around with it for the last 10 minutes or so, I still haven't a clue in how to do what you're asking me. It's a shame but I think I'm just not cut out for this haha. Thanks for trying to help though, but I figure I'll have to take this to a repair shop or something.

If in doubt then it's always better to take it to a repair shop. There's no guarantee that would have been the issue anyway. Keep us posted with what the fix ends up being! I'm curious now. 

Best of luck! 

Glowing screen captures,