I was thinking about upgrading to a 4090 but I am 2nd guessing myself

Pirito

I have a 7700x, 32gb of ram, 3060, RM850x, x670e

and wanted to upgrade to a 4090 to future proof but I’m hearing 850 watts is good but also hearing I need a better psu and same with the cpu that I need a upgrade or I’ll bottleneck, so should I just upgrade to a 3080 ti, i am planning to play high fps/low quality  on games like Fortnite, Minecraft, warzone, siege but high graphics on story games like Jedi survivor, god of war, hogwarts legacy, what should I do????

1 minute ago, Pirito said:

and wanted to upgrade to a 4090 to future proof but I’m hearing 850 watts is good but also hearing I need a better psu and same with the cpu that I need a upgrade or I’ll bottleneck, so should I just upgrade to a 3080 ti, i am planning to play high fps/low quality  on games like Fortnite, Minecraft, warzone, siege but high graphics on story games like Jedi survivor, god of war, hogwarts legacy, what should I do????

6950xt gets about the same fps as a 4090 in warzone:

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

5 minutes ago, Pirito said:

wanted to upgrade to a 4090

The 4090 is kinda overkill currently unless you want to do high FPS 4k. So if you just have a lot of money and want to just have the best that exists, you can get it. Otherwise there are cheaper alternatives, that will be able to do pretty much the same thing, just not as fast.

So ask yourself first why you are upgrading in the first place. Is there anything that you currently want to play, that are you just not capable of with your current setup? Or is the experience you are currently having being degrade by the performance (lots of stutters, very poor quality, etc).

Is it worth $1600 or however much a 4090 costs, to have a better experience? Or are you just excited about upgrading? Is that excitement worth that money? And have you considered the higher electricity bill, warmer room you'll have?
If you answer all of those questions with yes, sure go for it.

(If you are also using the card to make money, that all changes of course)

27 minutes ago, Pirito said:

For most of those I would go for a 7900 xtx, then you can keep your 850 watt psu and also get REALLY high fps in warzone and very good fps in everything else. To me the 7900 xtx is a no brainer

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

Dont listen to people in forums about your buying decisions.
If you are a competitive gamer you want Reflex, there is no argument going AMD.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

37 minutes ago, Pirito said:

Okay, a 7700x will not bottleneck a 4090 in any of those titles. However, you would need to upgrade the PSU if you go 4090.

However, as for decided what you really need, you need to tell us the resoultion and fps of your monitor, cause there would be little point upgrading past your 3060 if all you have is a 1080p60fps monitor.

Finally, you should consider if the performance your getting is good enough. A new graphics card is gonna cost you alot of money. Is the difference really going to be worth it. Please let us know what performance your getting currently (and what sort of performance your looking for).

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

1 hour ago, DarkSmith2 said:

thing is most people are not competative gamers..... if the op is he should know that and know that he wants reflex and not consider it. but for your average jo you dont need it..

what resaloution are  you playing at? is the performance you are getting at the moment good enough?

1 hour ago, DarkSmith2 said:

im a competitive gamer and use AMD

anti-lag is the way to go boys

0 latancy

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

37 minutes ago, Blqckqut said:

im a competitive gamer and use AMD

anti-lag is the way to go boys

0 latancy

Just gonna drop this here. NULL and Reflex works in game that supports it but its a massive CPU hog.

But should you go for it? I dont know, do you really believe that chasing niche feature is better than getting raw better frametime which always lead to better latency with no trickery involved? Thats the reason i didnt hop to a used 3070 or new 3060Ti for my build.

image.thumb.png.a548b5c2595981e36cb48b77a3df4838.png

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 minute ago, SorryClaire said:

Just gonna drop this here. NULL and Reflex works in game that supports it but its a massive CPU hog.

image.thumb.png.a548b5c2595981e36cb48b77a3df4838.png

wth is NULL?

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:

Just now, Blqckqut said:

wth is NULL?

Nvidia Ultra Low Latency mode, released with Reflex. It was meant to be a direct competition to the Radeon Anti Lag that was released nearly the same time, a universal way to decrease latency while keeping framerates up. But of course this is at the cost of more load to the GPU and CPU thanks to the overhead.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

2 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Nvidia Ultra Low Latency mode, released with Reflex. It was meant to be a direct competition to the Radeon Anti Lag that was released nearly the same time, a universal way to decrease latency while keeping framerates up. But of course this is at the cost of more load to the GPU and CPU thanks to the overhead.

ok

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:

On 5/22/2023 at 10:58 AM, DarkSmith2 said:

What is reflex? And why does it help with competitive games? 

I was going to buy a 7900 XTX but I mainly play Counter-Strike, would the 4080 be a better option?

3 hours ago, GTC said:

What is reflex? And why does it help with competitive games? 

I was going to buy a 7900 XTX but I mainly play Counter-Strike, would the 4080 be a better option?

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/reflex-low-latency-platform/
counter-strike 2 will have reflex support. But unless we get much faster CPUs, to alleviate the bottleneck, i guess you shouldnt worry to much for this title.
Especially not when you play on a really low resolution below 1080p.

the good thing about reflex is that you dont have to worry about playing on low settings or low resolutions just for lower inputlag. In alot of titles resolution/higher settings do alot for visibility.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |