I want to move my PC out of the room

Hello.

Didn't know wher i should post this.

Like my question already said,I want my PC in another room.

The next possible position for me to put my PC is around 25m away.
I know Linus did this already long ago but I don't want to search trough thousands of his videos to find everything i need.

Also there could be a better solution than in an older video.

I want to use my 1440p 240hz monitor and my second monitor. Is this even possible?

If not, what hz is the best i can expect at this distance (25m)? 
What kind of cable can or should i use? Normal HDMI/DP? Do I need a fiber-optic cable? Or thunderbolt/usb-c
Do I need PCIe cards?

Would be nice if it would be a smaller connector because I have to go through 3 walls.
I don't want to drill a big hole. Let alone 3 big holes.

What do I need for my peripherals
Do i have to fear higher input lag?

How about my on/off PC button
Can i just use a long cable?

Thank u for your help

25m isnt gonna happen on an acceptable budget. you're basicly looking at a 1000-ish USD investment to get a decent fiberoptic thunderbolt cable, a thunderbolt PCIe card, a good thunderbolt dock, etc.

It's possible. But like @manikyath says. It's going to be expensive. You need something like this: Thunderbolt™ Optical Cables | OEM Optical Communication Solutions | Corning

Linus explains about this cable in here: 

So, it's possible. With a decent cable. But getting good and reliable hardware is not going to be cheap.

8 hours ago, FauliKonto said:

Hello.

Didn't know wher i should post this.

Like my question already said,I want my PC in another room.

The next possible position for me to put my PC is around 25m away.
I know Linus did this already long ago but I don't want to search trough thousands of his videos to find everything i need.

Also there could be a better solution than in an older video.

This gets asked regularly on forums. Latest being

And if you are wondering for better solutions, optical thunderbolt 4 is best there is as remote connection would be too much latency for most workloads.

What kind of cable can or should i use? Normal HDMI/DP? Do I need a fiber-optic cable? Or thunderbolt/usb-c?

USB-C is connector, Thunderbolt is interface/technology (I'm not sure which is more accurate) and fiber is technology used in several connections, including networking, TV and TB. So to answer, optical TB is what you use from PC to dock. From dock to monitors you use what fits best for your usecase.

Do I need PCIe cards?

This depends on what mobo you have. If your mobo already supports TB3/4, then no.

What do I need for my peripherals?

There's the gear Linus uses listed.

Ofc. Any distance will add lag. Even optical. This is bit beyond me as Linus has under 10m distance in original video. I don't remember how he's done it in new house.

How about my on/off PC button?

I have seen solutions for that. But in reality, do you need to shut it down if its already in another room? Could just sleep/wake it.

Thank u for your help

You are using long cable, regardless. Question is, do you want to run USB, HDMI, DP and power remote (of which first 3 will have issues without signal boosting) vs one TB.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

@LogicalDrm @manikyath @FrowningHippo

Do i understand this correct that i can use one cable + something like the Caldigit TS4 and over that i can get a 1440p 240hz monitor signal and my second monitor + everything else i need like mouse, keyboard, etc.?

I will take a look at the other links later. thanks at everyone for that 🙂

3 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:
11 hours ago, FauliKonto said:

Thank u for your help

You are using long cable, regardless. Question is, do you want to run USB, HDMI, DP and power remote (of which first 3 will have issues without signal boosting) vs one TB.

I mean a long cable for the power button. but u are right i can just restart from time to time. i don't need to shut it down

4 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:
13 hours ago, FauliKonto said:

Ofc. Any distance will add lag. Even optical. This is bit beyond me as Linus has under 10m distance in original video. I don't remember how he's done it in new house.

i mean an extremly high input lag. like its impossible to play a game

4 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:
13 hours ago, FauliKonto said:

Do I need PCIe cards?

This depends on what mobo you have. If your mobo already supports TB3/4, then no.

can u tell me a mobo or a card?

On 5/22/2023 at 1:55 AM, FauliKonto said:

can u tell me a mobo or a card?

The list I gave has mobo. The other thread has also card. You haven't given your current setup, so no. Getting TB4 expansion card is probably easiest task to do here.

As for length, I'm not sure whats the limit.

E: Corning lists 60m for their limit.

Edited by LogicalDrm

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just do the good old terran from LMG solution run the cables through a door check out the Extreme Tech Upgrade VIDEO