New higher-end but sensible PC for all workloads

ka_re_t
Go to solution Solved by ka_re_t,

I think I will go with a 7900X and an NHD15S black.  It’s a good enough cooler for a comparable CPU with good performance all around, and it means I only spend ~$50 more overall.  They push the 7000 series non-X3D to 95C no matter what so I won’t chase the fairy tale of a cool CPU.  The cooler choice lets me use Trident Z5 Neo RAM too so that’s a win.  

Budget (including currency): >$1000 USD / Flexible

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: I want to be able to game at 2K (eventually probably 4K) and do video/photo editing without slow downs.  I use Davinci Resolve, Lightroom, GTA V, Minecraft, COD

Other details

I have a M27Q monitor + a side FHD monitor and a 3080 Ti FE with my current build, and I won't be upgrading or replacing those parts.  The GPU will go in my new build.

I just want this computer to work super well and last for 3-5 years without needing any upgrades.  Maybe after 3 years I'll buy a new GPU or cooler RAM but that's it. 

Again, the goal is to have a higher end system.  I'll take recommendations especially in cases where it would improve reliability but I don't care to spend 20% more on a part that's 5% faster.

Parts list /// explained: 

7800X3D because it's good for gaming and I don't need to spend over $200 for a tiny improvement

Peerless Assassin seems to be the only air cooler that will work, maybe I'll switch to an AIO someday but not many are AM5 compatible and cheap yet

MSI MAG because it has WiFi, tons of USB ports, and it's incredibly cheap compared to the other current gen boards 

--> Question: any word on the VRM quality or current reputation of MSI mobos? 

--> Question: seems like this board prefers RAM slots further away from the CPU.  Does this favorably change the RAM clearance I need with my cooler?

G.Skill Flare because it's the only RAM that I like with good specs (6000MHz, CL30) that ~will fit under the CPU cooler without any problems~

Solidigm P44 Pro because to improve 5% on speed would cost at least 10% more

P300A because it's the cooler cousin of my current case (I like my P300!  I've had it since 2018)

RM1000e because it's cheap, quiet and sits at the top of tier lists

Not listed: Corsair LL Series 120mm RGB 3 pack - Not very cheap, but they're the quietest 3 pack of RGB case fans I could find.  I want some lighting and this seems like the only way to get it.  Would be nice to find a cheaper alternative, but they few I've seen have issues (like the Arctic fans)

32 minutes ago, ka_re_t said:

Budget (including currency): >$1000 USD / Flexible

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: I want to be able to game at 2K (eventually probably 4K) and do video/photo editing without slow downs.  I use Davinci Resolve, Lightroom, GTA V, Minecraft, COD

Other details

I have a M27Q monitor + a side FHD monitor and a 3080 Ti FE with my current build, and I won't be upgrading or replacing those parts.  The GPU will go in my new build.

I just want this computer to work super well and last for 3-5 years without needing any upgrades.  Maybe after 3 years I'll buy a new GPU or cooler RAM but that's it. 

Again, the goal is to have a higher end system.  I'll take recommendations especially in cases where it would improve reliability but I don't care to spend 20% more on a part that's 5% faster.

Parts list /// explained: 

7800X3D because it's good for gaming and I don't need to spend over $200 for a tiny improvement

Peerless Assassin seems to be the only air cooler that will work, maybe I'll switch to an AIO someday but not many are AM5 compatible and cheap yet

MSI MAG because it has WiFi, tons of USB ports, and it's incredibly cheap compared to the other current gen boards 

--> Question: seems like this board prefers RAM slots further away from the CPU.  Does this favorably change the RAM clearance I need with my cooler?

G.Skill Flare because it's the only RAM that I like with good specs (6000MHz, CL30) that ~will fit under the CPU cooler without any problems~

Solidigm P44 Pro because to improve 5% on speed would cost at least 10% more

P300A because it's the cooler cousin of my current case (I like my P300!  I've had it since 2018)

RM1000e because it's cheap, quiet and sits at the top of tier lists

Not listed: Corsair LL Series 120mm RGB 3 pack - Not very cheap, but they're the quietest 3 pack of RGB case fans I could find.  I want some lighting and this seems like the only way to get it.  Would be nice to find a cheaper alternative, but they few I've seen have issues (like the Arctic fans)

Good list. Sounds like a solid build.

Have you tried turning it off and on again? Maybe Restart it? 

Please make sure to Mark the Solution as a Solution.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I could be just about wrong as I am right.

Main RIG

13600K (Undervolted) +MSI Z690 Edge Wi-Fi+ Team Elite 32gb RAM (3200) +Noctua Nhd-15 Chromax Black+ Intel 670p 1TB SSD+ Intel Arc A770+ Corsair Crystal 465x case+ EVGA SuperNOVA 650W PSU.+ ASUS VP222 Gaming Monitor

Laptop for School: Surface go 2 (sucks ass)

Laptop for tinkering: Dell Inspirion 3358

Audio: Apple Airpods Pro (1st Gen)

(Apple_reigns_ supreme_ forever_ and_ ever)

(I am 15 years old and don't know shit about fucking shit.) 

Everyone must suffer one of two Pains: The pain of Discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

-Jim Rohn

38 minutes ago, Why_Me said:

850w will work fine.

Eye towards the future, seems like power consumption is going up with each generation of everything.  I'm fine with paying $50 extra on the PSU if it gives me more flexibility (and maybe longevity) in the future

2 minutes ago, ka_re_t said:

Eye towards the future, seems like power consumption is going up with each generation of everything.  I'm fine with paying $50 extra on the PSU if it gives me more flexibility (and maybe longevity) in the future

Actually it's going down.

4070power.jpg

1 hour ago, ka_re_t said:

You are giving up a fair bit of performance in Resolve and Lightroom.

I'm not sure how you came to these conclusions. Any AM4 compatible CPU cooler is compatible with AM5. The Peerless Assassin 120 SE is a good cooler but so are the AK620, NH-U12A, etc.

VRM quality is good on most current generation AM5 and LGA 1700 motherboards.

Memory clearance under the Peerless Assassin 120 SE is 42mm. Under the AK620 it's about the same. The NH-U12A has no memory clearance issues.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

10 minutes ago, brob said:

You are giving up a fair bit of performance in Resolve and Lightroom.

edited  I went through Linus's video with all the benchmarks.  It seems like gaming with the 7700X is 10-20% worse than with the 7800X3D, but productivity tasks on the X3D are usually <10% worse than the 7700X.  Verdict: 7800X3D is the lesser compromise.

Sadly they didn't compare a 7900X, because that would be more price comparable.

I'm not sure how you came to these conclusions. Any AM4 compatible CPU cooler is compatible with AM5. The Peerless Assassin 120 SE is a good cooler but so are the AK620, NH-U12A, etc.

From what I can tell, most AM4 coolers need a conversion kit to fit.  The AK620 has a ton of scary reviews about resonance issues/fan noise, and the NH-U12A performs about as well as the PA but at over double the cost.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but those all sound like disqualifying factors.

VRM quality is good on most current generation AM5 and LGA 1700 motherboards.

Memory clearance under the Peerless Assassin 120 SE is 42mm. Under the AK620 it's about the same. The NH-U12A has no memory clearance issues.

That's good to hear about the VRMs.  As far as clearance is concerned, it doesn't seem like you read my question.

Thank you for the reply!  I would love to hear your follow up.

8 minutes ago, ka_re_t said:

Source?

https://www.custompc.com/amd-ryzen-7-7800x3d-review

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-7800x3d-cpu-review/5

https://www.techspot.com/review/2657-amd-ryzen-7800x3d/#Benchmarks

9 minutes ago, ka_re_t said:

From what I can tell, most AM4 coolers need a conversion kit to fit. 

AM5 has been available for about 8 months. The only reason one would need some sort of adaptor kit is buying very old stock.

24 minutes ago, ka_re_t said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those all sound like disqualifying factors.

I don't consider cost a disqualifying issue if one wants to use taller memory.

I suspect you'll find as many complaints of the Assassin not doing an adequate cooling job as AK620 fan complaints. But it really doesn't matter. I was not suggesting a change, just pointing out that the contention that most CPU coolers were not AM5 compatible was less than accurate.

25 minutes ago, ka_re_t said:

That's good to hear about the VRMs.  As far as clearance is concerned, it doesn't seem like you read my question.

But I did. I just felt it imaterial as the memory modules are low profile. If you haven't glanced at a review photo, know that the outer fan of the Peerless Assassin 120 SE overhangs at least part of the outer memory position. As a result, in the fans normal mounting position memory clearance is ~42mm.

11 hours ago, brob said:

But I did. I just felt it imaterial as the memory modules are low profile. If you haven't glanced at a review photo, know that the outer fan of the Peerless Assassin 120 SE overhangs at least part of the outer memory position. As a result, in the fans normal mounting position memory clearance is ~42mm.

"But I did. I just felt it immaterial" LOL.  So you admit you didn't answer.

I asked if the specific RAM configuration of that motherboard would allow me to ignore clearance issues, because I want RGB (bigger) RAM.  The G.Skill kit was selected since it will fit under the CPU cooler  and not because I actually like it aesthetically.  That's why I asked the question in the first place

I am fully aware of the 42mm clearance the PA provides.  Now that you gave me the idea to look up a mounting photo, I can clearly see that the second fan covers 3/4 of the RAM area -- so the fact that the more distant slots are preferred on my motherboard won't be enough to get around the clearance issue.  Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!  Guess I'm stuck with ugly non-RGB RAM 🙃

11 hours ago, brob said:

I suspect you'll find as many complaints of the Assassin not doing an adequate cooling job as AK620 fan complaints.

Trust me, I wanted to.  But every test I looked at seemed to indicate the Assassin is the most capable air cooler on the market, with the expensive Noctua one being the only "peer" lol.  The Assassin is big and ugly but I know it's compatible and can handle the 7800X3D, so here I am 😞

3 hours ago, ka_re_t said:

Trust me, I wanted to.  But every test I looked at seemed to indicate the Assassin is the most capable air cooler on the market, with the expensive Noctua one being the only "peer" lol.  The Assassin is big and ugly but I know it's compatible and can handle the 7800X3D, so here I am 😞

Perhaps it's time to consider a different case and go for a 280 or 360 AIO. This would allow you to switch to memory you consider more attractive.

If you are using pcpartpicker it will only present compatible AIO models. If you see a message about possibly needing an AM5 adapter, it's just CYA for very old stock.

I think I will go with a 7900X and an NHD15S black.  It’s a good enough cooler for a comparable CPU with good performance all around, and it means I only spend ~$50 more overall.  They push the 7000 series non-X3D to 95C no matter what so I won’t chase the fairy tale of a cool CPU.  The cooler choice lets me use Trident Z5 Neo RAM too so that’s a win.