How good is this CS exam I made when I was bored?

StyrofoamDuck

Hello, I was bored, so I made an Exam, How good is it? Try attempting it yourself, ignore the RGB question as RGB.h doesn't exist, and fail the curl one if you don't know it. This was originally made for fun personal purposes but I decided to upload this on the internet. See the attachments for the exam.

Exam.docx Exam.odt Exam.pdf

The exam seems very unfocused and many of the questions are vague. What kind of CS class would this be made for? I don't know what single class would teach all of these things, since I've seen parts of these questions in many different classes throughout my studies. Some of these are introductory-level questions, some deal with applied software design, a couple are about things I learned on my own like curl, and the maze question is something I'd probably find in a high-level college data structures and algorithms or AI class.

To improve this exam, I would first include better instructions. What language is the code expected to be written in? How would the code be tested?

I would also organize the questions into groups, like shells and shell commands, definition-type questions, then applied programming.

Finally, it would be good to write out the actual expectations for the students' code, though this also goes with my first recommendation. In the programming exams I've taken for my computer engineering and computer science classes, every one has clearly laid out the functions to implement. For languages like Java, we might give a listing of every method to implement along with their arguments and return types. For languages like C++, we typically give students the entire completed header file for a class, so that they must write an implementation as well as tests for their code.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/15/2023 at 11:43 PM, Sakuriru said:

I'm confused. Are you testing coding knowledge about C++? Or how to use curl or git? Or are you intending to test CS concepts related to C++?

I don't know what class would cover this material and expect students to know this information.

Sorry for a late reply yes

18 hours ago, StyrofoamDuck said:

Sorry for a late reply yes

Yes to which question lol. 

1 minute ago, fpo said:

Yes to which question lol. 

For the C++ one

6 minutes ago, StyrofoamDuck said:

For the C++ one