Do I need to Undervolt my 7950x3d? Here is also how to set your EXPO on an Asus Motherboard

xxRainzeroxx
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
1 minute ago, xxRainzeroxx said:

So my RAM can't never be turned to its max potential? G.Skill 6000 CL30. Because I look at the System Summary under memory And i see these clocks Cl RCD RP RAS etc... for 3000 Clock it has V as 1.35 which if I am correct means that will damage my CPU.

You can turn on EXPO, you just have to manually make sure that the SOC voltage is not set above 1.3V. Personally I'd go in and manually set it to 1.2V no matter what, that should be plenty for most CPUs and it should be plenty safe. 

Also, do note that DRAM voltage and SOC voltage are not the same thing and not directly related. Most motherboards will automatically raise the VSOC if you change the DRAM frequency, either manually or through something like EXPO, hence why it gets raised when you enable EXPO, but the EXPO profile doesn't include an SOC voltage as that's handled purely by the motherboard's BIOS. DRAM voltage interacts with a different portion of the IO die and has not been linked to CPU death. Running your memory at 1.4V is fine just as long as the SOC voltage is below 1.3V. 

I've noticed that my Core voltage touches 1.4 sometimes and hovers around 1.1~1.3 voltage. Using CPU-Z for monitoring.

MOBA: Asus Rog Strix x670e-a

if so how would I go about undervolting my CPU, and what is a safe core voltage for my cpu?

2 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

1.3v and under.

Which may mean 1.2v in BIOS as the ASUS BIOS is buggy and outputs more than is set.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) + GL.iNet GL-X3000/ Spitz AX WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

1.3v and under.

How do I go about undervolting? Do you've a recommended video that shows how do it with an Asus motherboard?

6 minutes ago, xxRainzeroxx said:

Using CPU-Z for monitoring.

First off, CPU-Z isn't the greatest for voltage monitoring, you want to use either HWInfo or Ryzen Master. 

Second, 1.4V VCore is considered safe for those chips, it's what they run at stock. No need to do anything to them. The voltage for those chips that's dangerous is vSOC which isn't monitored by CPU-Z, and that you want to run at 1.3V or less.

If you still want to undervolt, there used to be an actual voltage offset, but that was removed from the BIOS for the X3D chips when the whole "X3D CPUs are blowing up" scandal started. The only way to undervolt now is through the curve optimizer, but the way that works is a bit weird and it won't bring down the peak voltage, just the average voltage. 

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

First off, CPU-Z isn't the greatest for voltage monitoring, you want to use either HWInfo or Ryzen Master. 

Second, 1.4V VCore is considered safe for those chips, it's what they run at stock. No need to do anything to them. The voltage for those chips that's dangerous is vSOC which isn't monitored by CPU-Z, and that you want to run at 1.3V or less.

If you still want to undervolt, there used to be an actual voltage offset, but that was removed from the BIOS for the X3D chips when the whole "X3D CPUs are blowing up" scandal started. The only way to undervolt now is through the curve optimizer, but the way that works is a bit weird and it won't bring down the peak voltage, just the average voltage. 

How to I check vSOC in Ryzen Master? Sorry. I am totally new in the PC world. But I am trying everyday to get better at it. Thank you everyone for your response.

17 minutes ago, xxRainzeroxx said:

How to I check vSOC in Ryzen Master?

Not sure if you can, I've never used it to do that. I've always relied upon HWInfo to do so as it's generally more feature rich and easier to navigate when it comes to reading sensors. If it did exist, it should be in the advanced view under the voltage control tab, though I think that might be the one sensor Ryzen Master doesn't read. It's good at reading core voltage though, and it's the best at reading clock speed and temps, hence the recommendation. 

If you do download HWInfo instead, it'll be in the CPU power management tab, and it should be labeled something like VDDCR_SOC.

11 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Not sure if you can, I've never used it to do that. I've always relied upon HWInfo to do so as it's generally more feature rich and easier to navigate when it comes to reading sensors. If it did exist, it should be in the advanced view under the voltage control tab, though I think that might be the one sensor Ryzen Master doesn't read. It's good at reading core voltage though, and it's the best at reading clock speed and temps, hence the recommendation. 

If you do download HWInfo instead, it'll be in the CPU power management tab, and it should be labeled something like VDDCR_SOC.

CPU VDDCR_SOC Voltage at Current: 1.020v,  Minimum: 1.020v,  Maximum:1.020v,  Average: 1.020v. On HWinfo64

Is that normal. It doesn't move up or down?

6 minutes ago, xxRainzeroxx said:

CPU VDDCR_SOC Voltage at Current: 1.020v,  Minimum: 1.020v,  Maximum:1.020v,  Average: 1.020v. On HWinfo64

Is that normal. It doesn't move up or down?

Yeah that's normal, EXPO sounds like it's off. You just want that voltage to be below 1.3V for the health of the CPU, and the reading says it is plenty below that. If the motherboard is doing its job, it should stay flat, and it looks like it is. 

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Yeah that's normal, EXPO sounds like it's off. You just want that voltage to be below 1.3V for the health of the CPU, and the reading says it is plenty below that. If the motherboard is doing its job, it should stay flat, and it looks like it is. 

Yay. Thank you so much :DD. So my RAM can't never be turned to its max potential? G.Skill 6000 CL30. Because I look at the System Summary under memory And i see these clocks Cl RCD RP RAS etc... for 3000 Clock it has V as 1.35 which if I am correct means that will damage my CPU.

1 minute ago, xxRainzeroxx said:

So my RAM can't never be turned to its max potential? G.Skill 6000 CL30. Because I look at the System Summary under memory And i see these clocks Cl RCD RP RAS etc... for 3000 Clock it has V as 1.35 which if I am correct means that will damage my CPU.

You can turn on EXPO, you just have to manually make sure that the SOC voltage is not set above 1.3V. Personally I'd go in and manually set it to 1.2V no matter what, that should be plenty for most CPUs and it should be plenty safe. 

Also, do note that DRAM voltage and SOC voltage are not the same thing and not directly related. Most motherboards will automatically raise the VSOC if you change the DRAM frequency, either manually or through something like EXPO, hence why it gets raised when you enable EXPO, but the EXPO profile doesn't include an SOC voltage as that's handled purely by the motherboard's BIOS. DRAM voltage interacts with a different portion of the IO die and has not been linked to CPU death. Running your memory at 1.4V is fine just as long as the SOC voltage is below 1.3V. 

8 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Thank you so much. You did more and beyond on what I asked for. And thank you to everyone else that helped me. 🙂