2nd idea is it possible

Right so i had a second brainwave last night, if i had a wooden box with lets say 50 dvd/rw, which i can get for like £5 each if that, and put blank re writable dvds in there that would be about 250gb have all he dvd r/w's hooked up to raid cards in a pc somehow put them in raid, and use it for storage.

Or here's my second idea

so the same with the DVD's but only have one dvd rewriter and the dvds some-how swappable. i write a small program were i type in there file im looking for an it comes up with the DVD that has the information on it, then somehow that DVD gets put into the rewriter, i know the second one is more efficient, but how hard would it be?

Thanks 

~James

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

Counter question: why would you want this? It's incredibly impractical if it's even possible to do at all.

just somthing to do lol as if i could get the second one to work it would be cheaper per GB than a HDD i guess if i can get 100 DVD's thats 400GB for what £10?

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

just somthing to do lol as if i could get the second one to work it would be cheaper per GB than a HDD i guess if i can get 100 DVD's thats 400GB for what £10?

it wouldn't because you need to get the optical drives 

:D

it wouldn't because you need to get the optical drives 

:D

yes but after the cost of the optical drive, im talking about the second option! i would have to buy one!

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

the most important thing in this scenario is GB/h and with burning stuff onto DVDs that would be somewhere around 15GB/h I would estimate. A terabyte to backup would need around 3 days... cheap - maybe, but far too bad in performance to use as a reliable (data) storage in every day use. 

Go for tape drives, they might be more expensive but give you up to 20TB per tape for 500$ (? estimated) per tape cartridge. Sony/IBM were able to get 185TB on a single cartridge and i doubt it will cost more than 2k$. That makes roughly 10$ per TB, which is unbeatable.

My builds:

'Baldur' - Data Server - Build Log

'Hlin' - UTM Gateway Server - Build Log

hmm

the most important thing in this scenario is GB/h and with burning stuff onto DVDs that would be somewhere around 15GB/h I would estimate. A terabyte to backup would need around 3 days... cheap - maybe, but far too bad in performance to use as a reliable (data) storage in every day use. 

Go for tape drives, they might be more expensive but give you up to 20TB per tape for 500$ (? estimated) per tape cartridge. Sony/IBM were able to get 185TB on a single cartridge and i doubt it will cost more than 2k$. That makes roughly 10$ per TB, which is unbeatable.

then i need tape readers can you get me links for readers and tapes and so on 

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

for private use i cannot recommend them ;) they are enterprise grade products, the drive itself costs like 3k-10k and additionally you need the cartridges to put in (like DVD drive + DVD-R) which add another 500$ per cartridge. For home use get a NAS with Seagate NAS drives... it doesn't get any cheaper.

If you still want them i'm giving out the links but like i said, no recommendation for home use

My builds:

'Baldur' - Data Server - Build Log

'Hlin' - UTM Gateway Server - Build Log

actually I'm interested in this.

the only reason you need is because you want to build one.

we had a pc right now because some dude wanted one for home use or something and made it (forgot his name).

don't let something like because it's impractical or because you don't need it hold you back mate.

Ima look onto this topic and if by chance you start making it message me up I'd love to see it. and if I can contribute any idea I'd be glad to help.

Live your life like a dream.

for private use i cannot recommend them ;) they are enterprise grade products, the drive itself costs like 3k-10k and additionally you need the cartridges to put in (like DVD drive + DVD-R) which add another 500$ per cartridge. For home use get a NAS with Seagate NAS drives... it doesn't get any cheaper.

If you still want them i'm giving out the links but like i said, no recommendation for home use

hmm yeah i think ill stick to hard drives i guess i can just collect them over time :D 

thanks again 

~James

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

actually I'm interested in this.

the only reason you need is because you want to build one.

we had a pc right now because some dude wanted one for home use or something and made it (forgot his name).

don't let something like because it's impractical or because you don't need it hold you back mate.

Ima look onto this topic and if by chance you start making it message me up I'd love to see it. and if I can contribute any idea I'd be glad to help.

hmm i will have to think how i could If i do it 

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}