Need Help: Asus X670E Hero Owner and Ryzen 7000

Hello everyone!

At this point probably everyone already knows about the AM5 issues like burning up and etc.

To make matters worse, I'm an owner of an Asus X670E Hero, one of the worst scenarios for this situation.

Steve from GN already showed the performance loss without Expo/DOCP which is kinda frustrating.

I'm running the latest bios at the moment of writing this topic (1410) with SoC Voltage below 1.3V and DOCP I.

My question is: What should I do? I've been thinking about checking my CPU contacts to see if there's no burn mark or damage like Der8auer's video... Is it worth doing that?

I wonder if Asus is ever gonna make this right and give us a bios with proper OCP values and other securities measures as pointed by GN.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.6GHz (single core boost) | 5.4GHz (all cores); Mobo: Asus ROG Crosshair Hero X670E; RAM: Team Group T-Force 2x16GB (32GB) DDR5 @ 6000MHz CL38; GPU: RTX 4080 - ZOTAC GAMING AMP Extreme AIRO; Case: NZXT H7 Flow; Storage: Kingston KC3000 1TB + Adata Legend 900 2TB; Cooling: Cooler Master PL360; PSU: Corsair HX 1200

4 minutes ago, MyLittleFella said:

Hello everyone!

At this point probably everyone already knows about the AM5 issues like burning up and etc.

To make matters worse, I'm an owner of an Asus X670E Hero, one of the worst scenarios for this situation.

Steve from GN already showed the performance loss without Expo/DOCP which is kinda frustrating.

I'm running the latest bios at the moment of writing this topic (1410) with SoC Voltage below 1.3V and DOCP I.

My question is: What should I do? I've been thinking about checking my CPU contacts to see if there's no burn mark or damage like Der8auer's video... Is it worth doing that?

I wonder if Asus is ever gonna make this right and give us a bios with proper OCP values and other securities measures as pointed by GN.

I'm using an ASUS B650 Plus WIFI with a 7700X and EXPO enabled on my RAM. I'm not worried at all, its been working fine for months.

Just now, Hinjima said:

I'm using an ASUS B650 Plus WIFI with a 7700X and EXPO enabled on my RAM. I'm not worried at all, its been working fine for months.

Are you using the latest beta bios?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.6GHz (single core boost) | 5.4GHz (all cores); Mobo: Asus ROG Crosshair Hero X670E; RAM: Team Group T-Force 2x16GB (32GB) DDR5 @ 6000MHz CL38; GPU: RTX 4080 - ZOTAC GAMING AMP Extreme AIRO; Case: NZXT H7 Flow; Storage: Kingston KC3000 1TB + Adata Legend 900 2TB; Cooling: Cooler Master PL360; PSU: Corsair HX 1200

1 minute ago, MyLittleFella said:

Are you using the latest beta bios?

Nope.  My BIOS version is removed from the BIOS website for my board 😄

Just now, Hinjima said:

Nope.

Even so, I think B650 are safer than X670E at this point.

3 minutes ago, MyLittleFella said:

Even so, I think B650 are safer than X670E at this point.

Could be.  I am not worried at all, I use a 4080 and I was not worried about the new connector 'burning' up either ( it blew up in media but affected 0.02% of all cards sold ) .  I think the 7000 / ASUS situation is more of  a widespread problem however, but not enough to make me worried.  The WAY Asus is dealing with it however is absolutely shocking and terrible.

Just now, Hinjima said:

Could be.  I am not worried at all, I use a 4080 and I was not worried about the new connector 'burning' up either.  I think the 7000 / ASUS situation is more of a a widespread problem however, but not enough to make me worried.  The WAY Asus is dealing with it however is absolutely shocking and terrible.

Indeed!

33 minutes ago, MyLittleFella said:

Indeed!

You are using a 7700X so I wouldnt be worried too much.  If you were using an X3D I would be sweating a bit more 🙂  Mine has been working fine since December with EXPO without issues ( 7700x )

15 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

You are using a 7700X so I wouldnt be worried too much.  If you were using an X3D I would be sweating a bit more 🙂  Mine has been working fine since December with EXPO without issues ( 7700x )

Its not limited to X3D chips though, they are the just the most widely reported.

Personally I do not feel safe building a Ryzen 7000 system right now, we just don't know the full scale of the problem yet and might not for months/years.  Once the damage is done, it can't be reversed and might make your CPU die tomorrow or in a year or two, both are far too early IMO given I've not had a CPU die in decades.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Its not limited to X3D chips though, they are the just the most widely reported.

I never said it was. Its just not enough cases as of yet to be too worried about it in my opinion.  Its how ASUS is dealing with this that's the disappointing part.

1 minute ago, Hinjima said:

I never said it was. Its just not enough cases as of yet to be too worried about it in my opinion.  Its how ASUS is dealing with this that's the disappointing part.

Not enough cases just means only a minority die straight away, it doesn't mean they haven't already had their life reduced by years.  That's just not good enough for me, I expect to be able to re-purpose old CPUs 5-10 years down the line.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

2 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Not enough cases just means only a minority die straight away, it doesn't mean they haven't already had their life reduced by years.  That's just not good enough for me, I expect to be able to re-purpose old CPUs 5-10 years down the line.

I absolutely agree with you, its a terrible situation.  I personally ain't too worried but its not looking good.  ASUS even removed the BIOS version I am running from my motherboards website.. They are definitely trying to hide something.

5 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

I absolutely agree with you, its a terrible situation.  I personally ain't too worried but its not looking good.  ASUS even removed the BIOS version I am running from my motherboards website.. They are definitely trying to hide something.

I also suspect they've been doing this for a long time, its just the new CPUs are running closer to their degradation limit.

My 5950X reports going over the Vcore max in Ryzen Master which I mostly ignored, as it doesn't do it all the time and its only slightly over.  But if the sensors are under-reporting as identified on the new boards, it could be going WAY over without me even knowing.

There's something seriously wrong that the voltage sensors are reporting such wildly incorrect results.