Stop Windows Update from updating just the GPU drivers?

Hi y'all

I know you can stop Windows Update from updating drivers through Group Policy, works best I think, but there are other ways also.

Open the Start menu, search for gpedit.msc, and select the first result that appears. This will open the Local Group Policy Editor.

Use the left pane to navigate to 
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Manage updates offered from Windows Update.

Double-click the Do not include drivers with Windows Updates policy on your right.

But is there a way to stop Windows Update from updating the GPU drivers? So all other drivers are okay, just not and never the GPU drivers.

I'm using Windows 11 Pro

Thanks in advance

4 minutes ago, roopx said:

Hi y'all

I know you can stop Windows Update from updating drivers through Group Policy, works best I think, but there are other ways also.

But is there a way to stop Windows Update from updating the GPU drivers? So all other drivers are okay, just not and never the GPU drivers.

I'm using Windows 11 Pro

Thanks in advance

What type of GPU are we talking about here? Intel, Nvidia, or Radeon? Generally those have individual softwares that do automatic updates where its not managed by windows updates. Windows update servers won't have nearly as up to date graphics drivers as any recent version, so there's really no reason why it would be updating unless your drivers are really old (as in you didn't manually update the GPU drivers).

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

Just now, Agall said:

What type of GPU are we talking about here? Intel, Nvidia, or Radeon? Generally those have individual softwares that do automatic updates where its not managed by windows updates.

I have a G15 Strix laptop with ROG 5900HX + Radeon Graphics  and 3060 Mobile, so two GPU's.
If I want to use the latest AMD provides drivers, then I need to block Windows Update from interfering. 

AMD recommends using the OEM provider drivers, but they are older and Windows installs all the bloat.

I just want the latest AMD (driver only) install. 

Now all drivers are disable through the group policy, and I can use the latest and greatest drivers and it works very well.

But if I plugin a new extern HDD or a webcam then I sometimes doesn't install because it can't get the drivers because of set policy.

I hope there is a way to block Windows Update from just not installing GPU drivers.

10 minutes ago, Agall said:

What type of GPU are we talking about here? Intel, Nvidia, or Radeon? Generally those have individual softwares that do automatic updates where its not managed by windows updates. Windows update servers won't have nearly as up to date graphics drivers as any recent version, so there's really no reason why it would be updating unless your drivers are really old (as in you didn't manually update the GPU drivers).

I actually had a bug on my second system a few months ago (maybe a year ago?) where the Windows drivers overrode newer AMD graphics drivers for my RX 580 for whatever reason - it actually caused a fair bit of headaches, because it made the system unstable - presumably because it installed incorrectly. I never did manage to figure it out, and it happened twice until AMD had a newer driver release and I was able to update to that one.

59 minutes ago, roopx said:

I have a G15 Strix laptop with ROG 5900HX + Radeon Graphics  and 3060 Mobile, so two GPU's.
If I want to use the latest AMD provides drivers, then I need to block Windows Update from interfering. 

AMD recommends using the OEM provider drivers, but they are older and Windows installs all the bloat.

I just want the latest AMD (driver only) install. 

Now all drivers are disable through the group policy, and I can use the latest and greatest drivers and it works very well.

But if I plugin a new extern HDD or a webcam then I sometimes doesn't install because it can't get the drivers because of set policy.

I hope there is a way to block Windows Update from just not installing GPU drivers.

This device has a similar setup with the 5800hs and 3060, I just run the amd.com GPU driver update and grab the 3060 drivers from nvidia.com.

I'm kind of old school when it comes to those, where I just manually grab the drivers and don't install Geforce experience or such. I haven't seen any issues with Win11 grabbing older versions of those drivers. I've had it since launch on both my company device and personal machines (I basically went full send day 1) so there's something not proper to cause that if you're using the latest driver versions.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017